PDA

View Full Version : 2-0

SSS
27/09/2003, 8:34 PM
Main observations:

Although he wasn't needed much after the sending off, Hoggie played superbly in the first half tonight.
Dan was back to his best.
Greg was as combative as ever.
The flashes of brilliance that Doyle displayed on the wing were seen consistently throughout the game up front. He has this great knack with his first touch that takes him and the ball away from or around the defender. Hard to describe, but it is special.
George did the biz - one assist, one goal.

George may get into bother over the goal celebration - in front of the rovers support...probably mixed them up with the "home" fans
:D

K Murray got a great header, but did nothing else all night. Comparing his contribution to Greg - KM didn't get a near the ball when tackling all night. In fact it is not unusual to see Greg harry a player, the player passes the ball past Kev and it is Greg, not Kev who is first to reach the receiver of the pass. KM completely lacks the energy and mobility for midfield - it would be a pity to see a good centreback ruined.

Back to back wins....:D

Tallaght-maggots chant was good.
Sad to see that the Donie Fordes were more inclined to join in on "homeless" than any pro-City chant..

Oh, and the George haters were at it again, until it was 2-0 and George was chaing back by the Shed after a long period of Shams possession

soccerc
27/09/2003, 9:31 PM
Rovers V City report (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=10948&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes)

SÓC
28/09/2003, 3:33 AM
Nice to get two away wins in a row.

I must disagree with an earlier poster, I think Murray had a fairly decent game he does alot of tidying up in midfield when Greg, Colin T or Kearney lose the ball. He got forward a fair bit and even before his goal he came close with a well hit volley from well outside the box. Dare I say it I think he is almost playing the Ratnolds role.

Doyler was outstanding, the fun will be when Flynny is back and we have Doyler George and Flynny in the same team. George was excellent as usual.

Back four and Super Keeper had nothing to do really.

Highlighs of the night were
- the Rovers program had a picuture of young Rovers fans with the caption -"Instead of throw bottles these young fans are actually getting behind the team."
- €2 Mr. Freeze shots:)
- George showing the Rovers fans his lovely new tshirt whilst doing a little dance.

b_mcsweeney
28/09/2003, 6:51 AM
there was only one mention of it above, but i just can't understand the georgey hating squad. are they watching the same team/games as i am? i mean scored one, made one for a striker is a decent return, even if apart from that he was a lazy ba$tard (a la skippy). but georgie works his socks off, and is quite often the best defender as well as the best attacker on the pitch. u notice his worth especially in away games. i dunno, these must be the kinds of people who could be banging brittney spears and focus in on what a 'clingy' b**ch she is!

still though, nice one on the result (and against longford), its good that the lads have bounced back from the exceptionally disappointing results in the three games prior to that.

SSS
28/09/2003, 7:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SÓCcfc
[B]

I must disagree with an earlier poster, I think Murray had a fairly decent game he does alot of tidying up in midfield when Greg, Colin T or Kearney lose the ball. He got forward a fair bit and even before his goal he came close with a well hit volley from well outside the box. Dare I say it I think he is almost playing the Ratnolds role.

...Murray's entire contribution was one volley and one header. It is great that one went in, but he did not get a tackle in all night and has a terrible first touch. He did not tidy up anything at all. The one time he tried a forward pass it went to a rovers player.
Try a personal "player-cam" on him next Friday - he looks perpetually lost, just drifting around with his own teammates accelerating past him to get to the ball that he should be looking for or the to close down the player closest to him. I think he can be a very good centre-back, but to have Bennett on the bench when Murray is in the team is mental. Benno is not a super passer either, but he can do everyting Murray does at a quicker pace - i.e. a pace that will keep him up with the game.

To compare Murray to Reynolds - I know who I'd prefer my team (in football terms).

Forgot to mention Colin T - excellent in the first half in particular. He used to drift out of games when wide-right, but not this time.

thecorner
28/09/2003, 8:23 AM
Originally posted by SSS
Greg was as combative as ever.

were u at the same game as me. i dont think so

greg is the most consistent player in our side
HE IS ALWAYS USELESS

as for georgie
he is now the most important player in our side
even more important than flynny

how the hell did port vale leave him go

razor
28/09/2003, 10:30 AM
Doyler put in a lot of effort and ran his b@lls off for us, his finishing isn't the best but the way he takes the ball past players is exciting indeed.
George was outstanding last night, Feel he'd be more use to us in the midfield, with maybe Joffy and Doyle up front.
If I had any criticism of George at all is his inability to get a corner past the first defender.

Not mad about Greg, as soon as Ratnolds came on all Greg was focused on was kicking the sh*t out of him and while thats to be commended, when u are a man up u want to keep it that way and utilise it. Fair Play to Dolan for spotting it and dragging Greg before he was sent off.

Back 5 looked very solid. Thought KMurray was quiet but effective in midfield and he scored, can't fault the lad.

All in all a good professional performance and 3 points.
2 away wins on the trot, excellent

Cityace
28/09/2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
were u at the same game as me. i dont think so

greg is the most consistent player in our side
HE IS ALWAYS USELESS

as for georgie
he is now the most important player in our side
even more important than flynny

how the hell did port vale leave him go

Where were all the corner boys?? they were non existent for the first half.Probably realised there misdoings and joined the shed!;)

BTW,This isnt a one man team.Georgie is important, but without the likes of greg and others,the team and georgie wouldnt amount to sh!t.Its grand havin a few superstars but its the players like murray,greg,Devine and Doyle that are the core of the team.

Ruairi
28/09/2003, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
- €2 Mr. Freeze shots:)

I hate ye all.... they're the reason I had to be carried home... the reason I have a ****ed up elbow from falling over.... the reason why I allowed Eanna to stay in my house... :D

thecorner
28/09/2003, 9:07 PM
Originally posted by Cityace
Where were all the corner boys?? they were non existent for the first half.Probably realised there misdoings and joined the shed!;)
realised shed mite need help n case of scum storming it

have to look after whats ours

A face
29/09/2003, 4:50 PM
- €2 Mr. Freeze shots

LUSH !!

Colm
29/09/2003, 8:48 PM
€2 Mr. Freeze shots

The nicest tasting shots ever and when you have about 6 of them on top of at least 10 pints they taste all the better! Still, having that much to drink and spending less than 30 quid ain't bad going, cheers lads!:)

dalo
03/10/2003, 12:16 PM
city's best performance of the season. we controlled the game form start to finish. hopefully doyler will start putting those great runs into th back of the net and greg finds his form again.

huge game against waterford. after taking 4 points off us already this season we have to beat them