PDA

View Full Version : eircom broadband

DmanDmythDledge
10/09/2008, 11:31 PM
Anyone having any difficulties with it lately? From around 10pm on it's on and off with me- next thing it stops then all of a sudden stops working again. Only ever lasts 30 seconds or so. It's not as bad when I use Firefox opposed to using IE.

TheBoss
11/09/2008, 1:59 PM
I always having problems with connection, goes for about 15-30 secs, then and comes back with a couple of refreshes on the page. I heard they upgrading the 2mb line for a 3mb line, may help a bit then.

superfrank
11/09/2008, 2:02 PM
There's always problems with it whenever someone's on the phone. The broadband dies for about 30 seconds either side of picking up and hanging up.

Sheridan
11/09/2008, 2:04 PM
I always having problems with connection, goes for about 15-30 secs, then and comes back with a couple of refreshes on the page. I heard they upgrading the 2mb line for a 3mb line, may help a bit then.
In practice, that means you'll be paying for 3mb and getting 2mb, rather than paying for 2mb and getting less...

There's always problems with it whenever someone's on the phone. The broadband dies for about 30 seconds either side of picking up and hanging up.
I'd imagine that would be straightforward attenuation. Extensions and cable splitters are generally bad news.

TheBoss
13/09/2008, 11:05 PM
I see on my connection, it has been upgraded to 3084mb from 2056mb, anyone else have the upgrade.

DmanDmythDledge
13/09/2008, 11:17 PM
I see on my connection, it has been upgraded to 3084mb from 2056mb, anyone else have the upgrade.
I presume that's the same as Mbps. Mine is 100 and always has been.

gael353
14/09/2008, 12:05 AM
In practice, that means you'll be paying for 3mb and getting 2mb, rather than paying for 2mb and getting less....

Not true. Its a special their doing to get people to buy the 2 meg (extra €5 over the 1 meg) However, in res lines in non dublin areas you may not get the 3 meg but just over 2.2 to 2.5meg.

Eircom are targetting the bb sector as the telephone charges are regulated heavily in favour of the other operators (eg if eircom intends to cut prices they have to notify all the other competition months in advance) in order that some small companies dont get wiped out over night. Then just before eircom launces these new deals the opposition bombs in with pre range counter products. Its aimed at maintaining competion but i think does the oppoisite as smaller companies never have to come up with any great deals.

TheBoss
14/09/2008, 10:05 PM
I presume that's the same as Mbps. Mine is 100 and always has been.

That is Ethernet Cable connection, the broadband speed can be seen with the router stats page.

Sheridan
14/09/2008, 10:09 PM
I'm with UTV and my speeds have gone to sh1t since eircom's network upgrade. Apparently it's affected all the other ISPs.

TheBoss
14/09/2008, 11:18 PM
You can see why the Broadband speeds in Ireland are the worst in Europe so :D

A face
15/09/2008, 10:28 AM
You can see why the Broadband speeds in Ireland are the worst in Europe so :D

Its unreal, 10mb is the lowest in Germany i heard. Ireland will never be able to compete with that. Fianna Fail have completely failed to tackle this issue with any conviction over the last 10-15 years. A complete disaster

OneRedArmy
15/09/2008, 1:05 PM
Apparently the "upgrades" Eircom have done have actually increased ping times significantly. The gaming community are up in arms. Long and tedious discussions over on boards.ie

My service is certainly noticeably no better after the free upgrade from 2 to 3mb, if anything, webpages seem to be slower. I'm sure there's some kind of benefit for large file downloads but I don't do any peer-peer stuff so thats not really that important to me.

They have improved the upstream speed (allegedly) and I'm looking forward to testing the Slingbox on that as previously it was too slow to be of any use.

DmanDmythDledge
01/10/2008, 4:57 PM
That is Ethernet Cable connection, the broadband speed can be seen with the router stats page.
How do you view that?

dahamsta
01/10/2008, 5:03 PM
Log into your router. Or try Blacknight's speed test (http://www.irishisptest.com/). YMMV.