View Full Version : WC 2010 Qualification

Closed Account 2
10/09/2008, 8:58 PM
Some bizzare results tonight...

Bosnia 7 - Estonia 0
Switzerland 1 - Luxembourg 2*
Finland 3 - Germany 3
Lithuania 2 - Austria 0

*Luxembourg's winner was scored by a village footballer !!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Leweck

Lithuanian are now front runners in UEFA qualification, having played two Euro 2008 teams they have a 100% record scoring 5 and conceeding none.

superfrank
10/09/2008, 9:00 PM
I was a bit surprised by England winning 4-1 in Croatia.

Liechtenstein drew with Azerbaijan as well and I think Moldova were leading Israel at one stage.

Love the photo of that Luxembourg guy. :D

Closed Account 2
10/09/2008, 9:23 PM
I know it looks like the kid did his own wikipedia entry...

Croatia lost their discipline tonight, Kovac marshalls the back line and without him or Dario Simic they've no leader at the back. I think the score flattered the English, the press reaction here in London has - of course - been off the scale. Everyone else might as well give up seeing as "England have put in a world cup winning performance". They're gobbing on about how Argentina, Germany, Italy, France are all "past it"... chickens, counting, hatch...

Paraguay have impressed me a lot, a decent blend of technical players and a very well organised unit. They've done very well in their last two games with their main strikers Cabanas and Santa Cruz both out.

shakermaker1982
10/09/2008, 9:35 PM
cheers Switzerland you just ruined my 47-1 accumulator!

Chris Waddle makes me want to vomit. Did anybody else think that was a good header (incident when Joe Cole went down like Amir Khan)? Maybe I like to see more aggression in a game of football but I don't think he tried to do 'Cole'. I think the ref sent him off after seeing the blood.

sligoman
10/09/2008, 9:44 PM
Good ending in Portugal Vs. Denmark:D.

42' Nani (Portugal)
84' Bendtner (Denmark)
86' Deco (Portugal)
90' Poulsen (Denmark)
92' Jensen(Denmark)

irishultra
10/09/2008, 10:50 PM
Portugal are really at risk in that group in my opinion. Sweden and Denmark are good solid teams, and Albania(I think) will be a tough nut to crack both home and away(Portugal have a history struggling at home against average but stubbord opposition)

RĂ©iteoir
11/09/2008, 6:31 AM
other results of note tonight:

Azerbaijan 0-0 Liechtenstein - Liechtenstein get their first point of this Qualification phase against a team which Wales found very hard to beat at the weekend

Faroe Islands 0-1 Romania - Romania continue their poor start to the competition

Finland 3-3 Germany

Lithuania 2-0 Austria - no Kalonas goal tonight - but Lithuania continue to raise eyebrows

Northern Ireland 0-0 Czech Republic

Portugal 2-3 Denmark

Bohemians 3-0 St Patricks Athletic - some of you may have missed this one from the other night

The goals from the Luxembourg game can be seen here:

http://www.sf.tv/sfsport/artikel.php...id=20080910-04 (http://www.sf.tv/sfsport/artikel.php?catid=sportfussballartikel&docid=20080910-04)

The Strasser goal was a bit good - as was the winner

ifk101
11/09/2008, 7:28 AM
Luxembourg :D

The pictures of the Swiss bench after the second goal are priceless.

Pike B
11/09/2008, 9:20 AM
Brazil 0-0 Bolivia
Wonderful result for Bolivia last night. Dunga close to the exit door now.

lionelhutz
11/09/2008, 12:00 PM
Haven't seen the England Croatia goals yet. Anyone know where I could get them on the web? Youtube don't have them

OwlsFan
11/09/2008, 12:32 PM
We didn't beat the Swiss in 4 attempts and mighty Luxembourg do the business:eek:.

Germans also equalised late against the Finns.

The surprises continue. Ireland to win in Italy ;) ?

superfrank
11/09/2008, 12:59 PM
Haven't seen the England Croatia goals yet. Anyone know where I could get them on the web? Youtube don't have them
Try Footytube.

DmanDmythDledge
11/09/2008, 1:20 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/ great site

Rooney's assist for Walcott's third is sublime. Walcott took his goals very well too.

geysir
11/09/2008, 2:21 PM

http://www.sf.tv/sfsport/artikel.php...id=20080910-04 (http://www.sf.tv/sfsport/artikel.php?catid=sportfussballartikel&docid=20080910-04)

Thanks for good quality link. Nothing against the Swiss but that was great stuff. The Swiss set piece defending was awful.

I was at the Iceland Scotland game. Scots are quite poor, there should be no more comparisons done between our squad and theirs. Negative and incompetent, they were very fortunate on the night to win.
The best bit was when the Tartan Army, after the Scots went 1 up, stood up en masse to chant "you only sing when you're whaling"
The natives didn't get it.
"Why are you laughing, What are they singing?"
"you only sing when you're whaling"
"what?"
"you only sing when you are whaling"
"why are they singing that? what's funny about that?"

OwlsFan
11/09/2008, 4:03 PM
I see Keane has upset Trinidad and Tobago:

FIFA vice president Jack Warner has blasted Roy Keane's "callous disregard" for Trinidad and Tobago after alleging the Sunderland boss pulled Dwight Yorke out of a World Cup qualifier.

The veteran was allowed to play against Guatemala at the weekend but was absent for Wednesday night's match against the USA.

Yorke was quoted claiming that he felt "fine" but did not feature as the Caribbean side crashed 3-0.

And Warner, who acts as a special advisor to his homeland's Football Association, reacted by sending a scathing letter to the Black Cats chief.

"Your callous disregard for the rights of 'small' countries to have their players represent them as enshrined in FIFA regulations reveals a mean streak in your character," it read.

"It is one which will not endear you or Sunderland to such countries and it is a dangerous path to tread."

Warner added: "Such insensitivity and disrespect were again most recently displayed by you having summoned Dwight Yorke to England, rendering him unavailable to face the USA.

"Your continuing insensitivity and disrespect for countries such as Trinidad and Tobago are hereby noted."

Cymro
11/09/2008, 4:37 PM

Azerbaijan 0-0 Liechtenstein - Liechtenstein get their first point of this Qualification phase against a team which Wales found very hard to beat at the weekend

Not that great a surprise as Azerbaijan offered little going forward though they were well organised. Liechtenstein also have a few decent players such as Frick (who plays in the Bundesliga) and Burgmeier (who plays for Basel).

"Ein Debakel" :D

Pleased for Luxembourg - we all had a good time in the away trip a few months ago and results like this will hopefully shut up the people who want the small teams of Europe to pre-qualify for this phase.

FIFA vice president Jack Warner has blasted Roy Keane's "callous disregard" for Trinidad and Tobago after alleging the Sunderland boss pulled Dwight Yorke out of a World Cup qualifier.

The veteran was allowed to play against Guatemala at the weekend but was absent for Wednesday night's match against the USA.

Yorke was quoted claiming that he felt "fine" but did not feature as the Caribbean side crashed 3-0.

And Warner, who acts as a special advisor to his homeland's Football Association, reacted by sending a scathing letter to the Black Cats chief.

"Your callous disregard for the rights of 'small' countries to have their players represent them as enshrined in FIFA regulations reveals a mean streak in your character," it read.

"It is one which will not endear you or Sunderland to such countries and it is a dangerous path to tread."

Warner added: "Such insensitivity and disrespect were again most recently displayed by you having summoned Dwight Yorke to England, rendering him unavailable to face the USA.

"Your continuing insensitivity and disrespect for countries such as Trinidad and Tobago are hereby noted."

Damn right. There seems to be a trend of international players mysteriously being called back for no apparent reason by their clubs. These are clearly not all genuine cases. Clubs benefit from their players earning international caps, thus increasing their value multiple times if they do well - so they should accept that they have to release their players for these games.

Metrostars
11/09/2008, 4:56 PM

Strange one because Carlos Edwards played against for T&T against the US last night. More to this I think. Then again, this is Jack Warner talking, the most corrupt figure in world football.

geysir
11/09/2008, 7:45 PM
mysteriously being called back for no apparent reason by their clubs. These are clearly not all genuine cases. Clubs benefit from their players earning international caps, thus increasing their value multiple times if they do well - so they should accept that they have to release their players for these games.
I think in this case Dwight Yorke is old enough to decide for himself.
If a player is not released for International duty then the club cannot play him for 5 days or so, unless the country turns a blind eye.

Closed Account 2
12/09/2008, 12:05 AM

The Swiss commentators are so funny!

"I'm utterly shocked, I can't believe it"
"They have one chance and one goal"

Great stuff from Luxembourg! Very well worked goals and a superb game plan, defend well, and make the most of free kicks.

Closed Account 2
12/09/2008, 12:10 AM
Bosnia Estonia highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA-5OFa476Q

Right clanger from the keeper in here.

holidaysong
12/09/2008, 1:44 PM
The pictures of the Swiss bench after the second goal are priceless.

Really funny. :D

HarpoJoyce
12/09/2008, 7:12 PM

Flame War Alert:

Keane responded to Jack Warner by calling him a clown and questioning is VP position in FIFA.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0912/keaner.html

....and Jack Warner bit.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0912/keane2.html
"Today's letter says: 'The disrespectful tone of your reported comments further demonstrates the total disrespect that you and others of your ilk have generally for players and officials from "small" countries.

'It is obviously difficult for you to accept the fact that someone from a "small" country could rise to become a vice-president of FIFA.

'I chose to respond on a FIFA letter-head because that is a privilege afforded me owing to my said status and the fact that your callousness showed utter disregard for FIFA's regulations re the release of players for international duty. Regrettably, but not surprisingly, you did not grasp the message.

'In closing may I remind you that a player's greatest honour is to represent his country in spite of the fact that you chose to walk away from yours during the 2002 Korea/Japan World Cup after publicly abusing your manager... indictment that you will no doubt be proud of up to today. Poor Sunderland.'"

It's great, 'cos Warner still has the 2-1(?) result from the South American (incl. T&T) tour still to use.

geysir
12/09/2008, 7:55 PM
Lets have a Saipan debate :D

Supreme feet
13/09/2008, 4:53 PM
Lets have a Saipan debate :D

Yeah, we haven't had one in ages!

For what it's worth, Jack Warner's criticism seems childish and fatuous, and a man in his position should know better than to get involved in petty mud-slinging. We could probably open a new thread for the issue, but there's only one way it'd go...