PDA

View Full Version : Montenegro V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 10th September 2008 - World Cup 2010 Q

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

eirebhoy
07/09/2008, 2:14 PM
Montenegro team vs Bulgaria:

-------------------------------------------- Poleksic (Debrecen) ----------------------------------------------------
Pavicevic (Energie Cottbus) -- Batak (Ankaraspor) -- Tanasijevic (Dynamo Moscow) -- Bozovic (Rapid Bucharest)
----------------------------- Pekovic (FSV Mainz) ----- Drincic (FC Amkar Perm) -----------------------------------
----------- Vucinic (AS Roma) ------------ Jovetic (Fiorentina) ------------- Boskovic (Rapid Vienna) -------------
--------------------------------------- Bogavac (SC Paderborn 07) -------------------------------------------------

Vucinic scored from a direct free kick and he was fouled for a penalty which Jovetic scored.

They're supposed to be weak defensively but their 4 defenders play regularly in the Bundesliga, Turkey, Russia and Romania. Not a bad standard.

Montenegro manager Zoran Filipovic:

“Italy and Bulgaria are favourites to finish top [of Group Eight].

The other teams are good, too, as clubs from Cyprus have demonstrated their quality in Europe, while Ireland and Georgia should not be underestimated, either.

Currently we have some real jewels in our team — Mirko Vucinic, Stevan Jovetic, Simon Vukcevic and Igor Burzanovic. All of them can compete at the highest international level.

We definitely plan to make Ireland play with our style, which should give us a good result. It depends on how the game will develop. Maybe we will force them to defend, but they could well do the same thing.

I am absolutely delighted with the progress we have made. We have started from zero and managed to build a lot of good things during our first year, regarding selecting a group of players for the qualifications. We have played 10 friendly games so far and won four of them, with two draws. I have seen many positive things and those games were a good filter, which showed us which players can be the cornerstone of our squad.

I am happy that Duff, a player I admire very much, will not be coming to Podgorica, but we will still have a lot of work to do trying to contain Robbie Keane in attack. They [Ireland] are fighters, they never give up, which I must say is not a common thing in football these days.

Ireland has great financial capacities. They got a great leader in [Giovanni] Trapattoni. But not all is about money. The team spirit counts, too, the atmosphere in the dressing room is not less important and I strongly believe that those are the factors that determine the winner in international football. We are far behind other squads from our group, because of our small population [650,000], but also football conditions. The most important thing is to play hard every game. I am sure that nobody will have a good time in Podgorica. With good support, we will be a tough nut for every team.”

2 of those "jewels" he mentioned only came on as subs. Vukcevic is an attacking midfielder and was a regular for Sporting Lisbon last season. Burzanovic is a striker off Red Star.

A draw might be a good result but a win would be excellent.

Manc Irish Wolf
07/09/2008, 2:32 PM
Need to get up and at them early - proper dominate from the off. Seems to be an air of disdain for our technical ability - especially mentioning us in the same vein as Georgia. Hopefully the under-estimation will continue.

Couldn't give a monkeys who the potential threats are - we have a host of players playing in arguably the best league in the world - if we believe in ourselves and take the game to them we can destroy them. Seems like Trap is building confidence game by game - so with a bit of luck we'll be motoring come Wednesday.

Looking at yesterdays performance, any midfield in the world would struggle with Steven Reid in full flight. His dominance needs to be in full effect.

shakermaker1982
07/09/2008, 2:49 PM
We need 3 points and I reckon the Trap will go for the jugular. If we defend set pieces and stop messing around with the subs we have a chance. Montenegro by the sound of things sound dangerous going forward but are vulnerable at the back. Some quick counter attacks and plenty of crosses should get them on the back foot. Going to try and find some highlights now of their match yesterday.....

the-blue-harp
07/09/2008, 3:30 PM
rain in the shots on their goalkeeper, he doesnt look great. he should have had that free kick at the end that lost them the 3 points.

youngirish
07/09/2008, 3:41 PM
Zoran Filipovic sounds like an idiot. He compares us to Cyprus and Georgia whereby we should be similar to Bulgaria in most reasonable people's minds despite our lack of form under Staunton.

Montenegrin
07/09/2008, 4:04 PM
Zoran Filipovic sounds like an idiot. He compares us to Cyprus and Georgia whereby we should be similar to Bulgaria in most reasonable people's minds despite our lack of form under Staunton.

It is his opinion.He also gave you a compliment by saying that you never surrender.In my opinion you are better team than Bulgaria.After all,we will see on wednesday who was right.
I see that most of you like Trapatoni.I must say that I was never impressed by him.I know that there are planty of trophies that he won,but he is also ideal man for messing things up.

irishultra
07/09/2008, 4:08 PM
I think Steven Reid will dominate the midfield, if we do then we could be ok, however they seem to have the players to expose our defence(if there is anything there to expose which I believe there is)

SSN says Hunt, Doyle and Given are doubts. I'm not sure if any of them will actually be out come the match.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2008, 4:51 PM
We always surrender, right at the end!

I actually thought we were lacking technically yesterday. Several times good balls were played forward or played wide and the recipent's touch was heavy, losing possession cheaply. Also there were too many passes astray - notably McGeady twice in a few minutes in the first half. I didn't see Montenegro last night but I was glad we weren't away to Cyprus. On the flipside, I thought Reid & Whelan protected the ball well under pressure, often winning frees when losing possession seemed more likely.

Noely mentioned in the post match thread that we defended well from the front. In fact it was our hassling up front that led to Doyle's goal I think. However, when we started conceding possession for long periods, especially the last 15 mins of the first half, I think it was because Robbie & Doyle stood off the defenders who were looking to develop play.

On the positive side, the classic "two walls of four players" was very obvious when we weren't in possession, a clear sign that we're becoming more organised & disciplined without the ball. When the draw was made I hoped we'd avoid southern & eastern European teams as I think we're better equipped to play teams closer to home. Tempo & ball retention will be critical to win on Wednesday - I think we may well do it though.

What was the pitch like in Montenegro?

irishultra
07/09/2008, 6:21 PM
It is his opinion.He also gave you a compliment by saying that you never surrender.In my opinion you are better team than Bulgaria.After all,we will see on wednesday who was right.
I see that most of you like Trapatoni.I must say that I was never impressed by him.I know that there are planty of trophies that he won,but he is also ideal man for messing things up.

The 'fighting Irish' and all that.....its not really true, well definetly not in the case of the Irish National team.

But in fairness according to the seedings, Italy and Bulgaria should be favourites in this group. Maby he's never actually watched us play and just relies on the Fifa rankings?

Montenegrin
07/09/2008, 7:18 PM
Maby he's never actually watched us play and just relies on the Fifa rankings?

I doubt that he didnt watch you.It would be to irresponsable.We will see soon enough;).

FarBeag
07/09/2008, 7:22 PM

I really think we will have a very difficult game against you. From what I saw on Saturday you are technically a very good all around team with a small pool of players to choose from. Pound for pound we are a better team but I will be delighted if we come away with three points. Anyway let the best team win. Come on Ireland.

irishultra
07/09/2008, 7:38 PM
3-1 Montenegro.

I'm not confident about this match, even though I trust the manager and players.

Hibs4Ever
07/09/2008, 7:47 PM
2-0 Ireland

shep
07/09/2008, 8:39 PM
1-0 ireland

Wheels
07/09/2008, 9:15 PM
I'm surprised Vucinic was playing on the wing... did he really play there? I thought he was an out and out striker? Quality too from the little I've seen of him.

cheifo
07/09/2008, 9:17 PM
I haven't an idea what the result will be as I have not see Montenegero play.

However they sound like they are technically very good but have problems in defence.

I am really hoping John O Shea has another good game.In footballing terms he is not a young lad anymore so hopefully he follows on from Saturday.

Be a shame if Doyler is unfit.His whole body language looks more confident and could be one of our stalwarts this campaign.

They appear to have a very attacking formation.Could be a humdinger.

irishultra
07/09/2008, 9:24 PM
I think for the nuetral this could be a great game. I don't buy Pat Dolan saying we are negative. We play two out and out wingers and Steven Reid who is regarded as an attacking midfielder by Blackburn fans.

the-blue-harp
07/09/2008, 9:27 PM
that hat trick doyle scored for reading last week, and now one for ireland yesterday, will have him brimming with confidence. Has to start. i see him scoring another on wednesday night.

christo
07/09/2008, 9:45 PM
I'd say we could just sneak it 2-1, that is of course if we all haven't been sucked into black hole create by the Swiss (what is it with the Swiss and not letting us qualify for an international tournament)

cheifo
07/09/2008, 10:03 PM
The Swiss? Did I miss something?

beepbeep
07/09/2008, 10:36 PM
The thing about Mont is, they leak goals, But they can also score plenty. i feel if we tighten up around the back and cut out their attacking form, we can get them on the quick break.
Mont are gonna feel hard done by the reulst they got against bulgaria, becuase they might have had all 3 points.
another thing is, mont's next 2 games in this group after us, are both against Italy- they play them away then home ( surely the manager is going to be thinking they will do well to take any points off them) so you can be sure they will burst their balls to get something against us.

2-1 to ireland

highlights of Mont V Bul http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMVnAVjpJSY

the-blue-harp
08/09/2008, 1:38 AM
I'd say we could just sneak it 2-1, that is of course if we all haven't been sucked into black hole create by the Swiss (what is it with the Swiss and not letting us qualify for an international tournament)

what about those pesky belgians!:D

cavan_fan
08/09/2008, 7:19 AM
Two comments on the video, how can you not sell out your ground for your first ever competitive game against high profile opponents. And, for the equaliser there were some serious diving from the bulgarians.

Montenegrin
08/09/2008, 10:40 AM
Two comments on the video, how can you not sell out your ground for your first ever competitive game against high profile opponents. And, for the equaliser there were some serious diving from the bulgarians.

It was sold out.Stand that is half empty is designated for away fans and there were only 100 Bulgarians.You will come there;).

Reality Bites
08/09/2008, 10:49 AM
It was sold out.Stand that is half empty is designated for away fans and there were only 100 Bulgarians.You will come there;).

Really -sounds expilcit -sorry couldn't help it!

bwagner
08/09/2008, 10:59 AM
backs to the wall for this 1 but i am fairly confident of at least a point and the band wagon will roll again

Carrigaline
08/09/2008, 11:17 AM
I definitely think we're capable of snatching a win here, but my head says we'll draw.

Can see us taking the lead with Montenegro getting a fairly late equalizer.

Actually wouldn't mind Hunt not playing, it would force Trap into playing A. Reid :D

1-1.

Dun Laoire
08/09/2008, 11:48 AM
Doyler to nab another, the lads confidence must be sky high right now which is amazing for us. I'm feeling confident of a win too. I hope if we do take the lead that we keep at them unlike the Georgia game. If we can grab a couple their heads will drop and we should go on and win comfortable enough. :D

Reality Bites
08/09/2008, 12:28 PM
I think a 1-1 Draw is the best we can hope for!

ifk101
08/09/2008, 12:29 PM
It's pleasing to read that Montenegro fancy their chances against us. It puts a bit of extra pressure on the home side and it ensures that we are motivated for this game.

superfrank
08/09/2008, 12:35 PM
With Bulgaria drawing there, a draw would be acceptable.

papa-j
08/09/2008, 12:47 PM

Agree but if we go looking for a draw we will get beaten. We need to be positive and go with same attidude as the Georgia game. I think the players will be confident in the system and if they can keep it going for the full 90 mins( which is my worry) then we will get a win. If we retreat into our shell we will concede, we always do.

Dun Laoire
08/09/2008, 12:49 PM

Ah don't be worrying what others got. Lets go and get rightly stuck in and come away with all 3. We need to get that "show them respect" out of our heads.

youngirish
08/09/2008, 1:08 PM
I reckon we should be looking to win this. Even though Montenegro have a few useful players it was not that long ago we were beating them when they were merged with Serbia. They should be far weaker now.

As for looking at some of the clubs their players are playing for and judging them solely by that remember that we have two champions league winners in our first 11 something which most other countries of a similar size can only dream about, irrespective of whether one of them happens to be John O'Shea. People less knowledgeable about our team probably pick him out as our outstanding player while the likes of Doyle and Hunt who play for recently relegated Reading are far more capable players in most people's minds.

If we want to qualify for the World Cup then we have to pick up points where Bulgaria have failed to do so and this is the perfect opportunity to get that ball rolling. If we lost I'd see it as a major blow to our qualification hopes while a draw would be a missed opportunity in my mind that will probably come back to haunt us.

Saying that it's hard to know how good or bad we are as Georgia looked fairly poor. Both of Montenegro's goals came from set pieces so I'd worry about us in that area.

Duggie
08/09/2008, 1:20 PM
we shouldnt show them to much respect and worry more about our own game. ok they will be tough but pretty much all the games will be. need to go out for the win and hopefully will get it. obvisiouly there manager hasnt a clue about us but thats his problem.

Wolfie
08/09/2008, 1:31 PM
I
If we want to qualify for the World Cup then we have to pick up points that where Bulgaria have failed to do so and this is the perfect opportunity to get that ball rolling.

Very true. It really would be a fantastic start if we could get our noses in front of Bulgaria right from the off.

Lets make no mistake about Wednesday - the "Mysterious Montenegrans" mean business and have the confidence to give us a real grilling.

Not dragging this off topic with tales from the crypt yet - Anyone else recall the "Mysterious Macedonians"? Don't have to remind anyone that we lost there 3-2 in 1997 and our qualifying hopes for Euro 2000 died there in 1999.

We do right to take nothing for granted. That said, with the element of surprise slightly removed - I'm hopeful we can turn in a composed, positive and aggressive performance. Standing off them through fear could be just as counter-productive.

elroy
08/09/2008, 1:46 PM
From what Ive heard and read about this team, they are good going forward but not so solid at the back. If Hungary can put 3 past them (yes in a friendly) we should at least score one. I think the key will be the defence. Be patient keep things tight at the back and we'll have a good chance.
Im wary of Vucinic from Roma but hopefully Dunne will take care of him. Also hopefully, the euphoria of their first game last sat might have taken a bit out of them in the hope that they not be motivated to the same level for this game.
In light of the results at the weekend, a win would put us in an excellent position heading into the cyprus game.

superfrank
08/09/2008, 1:49 PM
To clarify, I wasn't saying they should go there trying to get a draw. They should go there looking to win, as they should in every match. However, if after 90 minutes, the scores are level, it's an acceptable result, IMO.

youngirish
08/09/2008, 2:17 PM
To clarify, I wasn't saying they should go there trying to get a draw. They should go there looking to win, as they should in every match. However, if after 90 minutes, the scores are level, it's an acceptable result, IMO.

I agree but it could also prove later on to be a missed opportunity. It would be a disaster, however, if Montenegro beat us as they could well go into second place in the group and might then fancy their chances for qualification.

I think if we beat them it will not only give us the jump on Bulgaria but take the air out of Montenegro's sails and ensure that from then onwards they only play a secondary role in deciding who qualifies. The group imo would quickly become a 3 horse race - us, Italy and Bulgaria. The Montengro result against Bulgaria was the best possible outcome for us and we should now go and try to capitalise on it.

Stuttgart88
08/09/2008, 2:22 PM
Can I just confirm: this game is live on Setanta (only), kick off 6pm our time, yes?

superfrank
08/09/2008, 2:26 PM
It's on RTE 2.

irishultra
08/09/2008, 2:26 PM
RTE TWO as well from 5.30.

Stuttgart88
08/09/2008, 2:56 PM
Thanks.

shakermaker1982
08/09/2008, 3:06 PM
I think we need a 2 goal advantage going into last 10 minutes again because my nerves cannot take it.........

youngirish
08/09/2008, 3:06 PM
Irish trio receive all-clear

September 8, 2008

Shay Given, Stephen Hunt and Kevin Doyle all took part in the Republic of Ireland squad training session on Monday morning.

The trio all sat out Sunday’s session with various knocks and strains picked up inn the course of Saturday’s win over Georgia.

But all three were present for Monday morning’s light session at the Stadion am Halberg in Taunusstein, Germany.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad travel to Podgorica this afternoon, with a training session planned for the City Stadium at 6pm on Tuesday evening.

Duggie
08/09/2008, 3:34 PM
Irish trio receive all-clear

September 8, 2008

Shay Given, Stephen Hunt and Kevin Doyle all took part in the Republic of Ireland squad training session on Monday morning.

The trio all sat out Sunday’s session with various knocks and strains picked up inn the course of Saturday’s win over Georgia.

But all three were present for Monday morning’s light session at the Stadion am Halberg in Taunusstein, Germany.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad travel to Podgorica this afternoon, with a training session planned for the City Stadium at 6pm on Tuesday evening.

ya just read this - so no changes for wed which is good in itself. personally id drop hunt but at least it will bring some consistency and with the extra few days that trap has to work with them it can only be good.

beepbeep
08/09/2008, 3:41 PM
I think we need a 2 goal advantage going into last 10 minutes again because my nerves cannot take it.........

i feel the exact same:eek:

imagine..... 1-0 to ireland ....3 mins left, montenegro send everyone into the box. they win a corner.....................

time for the brown trousers.

the-blue-harp
08/09/2008, 4:18 PM
do you think he's gonna go with mcgeady and hunt on the wings again? Im not so sure, mcgeady will definately play, trap has a hard on for him.:o

lionelhutz
08/09/2008, 4:37 PM
Andy Reid should start ahead of Hunt if he doesn't want to break the centre mf partnership. I really think we need him Wednesday, especially considering Montenegro are supposedly weak defensively - imagine the havoc he could wreak.

And please god don't bring on Miller again for a striker if we're a goal up in the last quarter.

Besides that I think we look very solid and I don't agree with some of the comments about McGeady being poor Saturday. I thought he was much more effective than Hunt and alot calmer on the ball

Duggie
08/09/2008, 4:41 PM
if he didnt play reid against georgia cant see him playing him against better opposition if hes going on the theory that hunt will work harder tracking back. id drop hunt but dont think he will bring in reid on wed.