PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 5160

Only1Rovers
09/09/2008, 1:55 PM
I have a techie problem. So I'm gonna throw it out there to see if there is any takers of people who could shed some light on my problem.

I own a Dell inspiron 5160 now I've just bought a MacBook and have little need for the Dell however, there are some files that I wish to take from the Dell to put onto my Mac such as my iTunes and other things.

The problem is the Dell no longer turns on. I plugged it in the other day and.....nothing. When I plug it into the mains the little battery light flashes once and that's it.

As I bought the new Mac I don't want to spend much on getting the Dell up and running again. I brought it into PC World and they said they wanted 60 euro to diagnose the problem. I opted not to leave it with them.

Has anyone come across this problem. I'm of the opinion that I just need a new battery..... any ideas or could any of ya'll direct me in the correct direction.

EAFC_rdfl
09/09/2008, 4:23 PM
mightn't be the same problem but my girlfriends laptop (inspiron 1525) displayed similar problems. Turns out one of the blocks of RAM was faulty, so if you want to give it a lash yourself open it up, and try removing one of them, see if it will start then. its a few months ago now so I'm not sure if its the same problem as you have.

Only1Rovers
10/09/2008, 10:54 AM
mightn't be the same problem but my girlfriends laptop (inspiron 1525) displayed similar problems. Turns out one of the blocks of RAM was faulty, so if you want to give it a lash yourself open it up, and try removing one of them, see if it will start then. its a few months ago now so I'm not sure if its the same problem as you have.

Thanks for that EAFC but I wouldn't know the difference between Block of RAM and a heard of SHEEP. I wouldn't be confident enough to perform such an operation.

I think I'll just have to go into PC World and fork out the €60 for a diagnosis plus what ever else they charge to remove the files I want.

Thanks again though.