PDA

View Full Version : World to end tomorrow?

pineapple stu
09/09/2008, 12:25 PM
Discuss (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4682260.ece)

Not sure I see the practical point of the experiment to be honest. Anyone care to enlighten me?

noby
09/09/2008, 12:40 PM
Large Hadron Collider will not turn world to goo, promise scientists

It's like a headline from The Onion.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

I'll tell you Thursday.

TheBoss
09/09/2008, 1:41 PM
In the process of the protons being smashed into each other, black holes are created. But they are really tiny and last for a really short time, something 1 millionth of a second or something like that. The Pessimist's that no of nothing about science, see Machine and Black Hole and put them together and you see the results from the headlines.

They have smashing protons against each other for a long time, since the 80s, I think, This machine will do the same as in the past but will give more information about the origins of the big bang.

thischarmingman
09/09/2008, 1:46 PM
Discuss (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4682260.ece)

Not sure I see the practical point of the experiment to be honest. Anyone care to enlighten me?

You just need to read some of the more well-informed, reasoned scientific debates to understand all the issues, Stu.

Here yo go: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1052309/MICHAEL-HANLON-Are-going-die-Wednesday.html

Thank me later. ;)

Bald Student
09/09/2008, 1:47 PM
Is there any chance that we could create new universes out of these little big bangs? We could lord it over them like gods, it would be cool.

dfx-
09/09/2008, 1:59 PM
Incredible piece of machinery and human creation. The practical point is to find evidence of the purported God particle, Higgs Boson..explaining why objects have mass when theoretically they shouldn't.

As close as possible to get the conditions at the Big Bang..

Bald Student
09/09/2008, 2:06 PM
Maybe our universe was created by aliens with their large hardon collider and the religions of the world have more in common with the film, "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" than we'd like to admit.

dfx-
09/09/2008, 2:28 PM
Maybe indeed, but this might be able to tell for sure..

jebus
09/09/2008, 2:43 PM
How funny would it be when they smash the protons together there was an old man with a white beard creating a universe. The 7th day he didn't rest after all, he was just rudely interrupted

Bald Student
09/09/2008, 2:44 PM
How funny would it be when they smash the protons together there was an old man with a white beard creating a universe. The 7th day he didn't rest after all, he was just rudely interruptedHave you any insider knowledge on this, Jebus?

jebus
09/09/2008, 2:53 PM
Have you any insider knowledge on this, Jebus?

I was praying one day, asking God why he doesn't just stop bad things happening to good people, he said it was because he was still annoyed about us interrupting him just as he was gonna give us everlasting world peace. I then heard about this experiment and put two and two together. Interestingly he also gave the same answer when I asked him why he doesn't just kill a lot more people that deserve it instead. Seems someone has quite a large chip on their shoulder

pineapple stu
09/09/2008, 3:45 PM
You just need to read some of the more well-informed, reasoned scientific debates to understand all the issues, Stu.

Here yo go: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1052309/MICHAEL-HANLON-Are-going-die-Wednesday.html

Thank me later. ;)
That's more like what I was after! Excellent stuff.

I like this bit particularly -

However, a second doomsday scenario is even more terrifying. There would be no warning at all.

In an instant - about one-twentieth of a second - the entire Earth would simply vanish from space.
This death is somehow way more terrifying than a month of random earthquakes before we all get burned alive as the earth's insides goop out all over the planet?

And how is one black hole going to destroy the entire cosmos when lots of other black holes haven't?

And how is it "embarrassing" that we don't fully understand quantum physics?

Too many sensible posts on this thread. Needed that. Cheers, TCM!

superfrank
09/09/2008, 5:24 PM
They just had a bit on it on the news there, pretty much shattering any of the tabs' fears.

Ah sure, even if it is the end of the world, I'll be sound asleep at eight o'clock tomorrow morning.

pete
09/09/2008, 5:31 PM
If the world ends tomorrow that will shut up those creationists!

:cool:

Stevo Da Gull
09/09/2008, 5:42 PM
If the world ends tomorrow that will shut up those creationists!

:cool:

true :D

dfx-
09/09/2008, 6:01 PM
Will Arkaga still go to hell? :)

John83
09/09/2008, 6:08 PM
And how is one black hole going to destroy the entire cosmos when lots of other black holes haven't?
It wouldn't. It would however make a really small black hole with exactly the mass of the earth. The poor buggers on the ISS would be in for a surprise when they next looked out the window. They'd be orbiting the point in space where Earth should be, but there'd be nothing to see.*

* Disclaimer: yes, I know they'd probably get mushed in the whole mêlée too. I just like the image.

Anyway, I basically fall back on this argument whenever asked about the LHC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt1Yo610lG0

cheifo
09/09/2008, 9:52 PM
I just want you to know I love you all.

Student Mullet
09/09/2008, 10:23 PM
Is there any chance that we could create new universes out of these little big bangs? We could lord it over them like gods, it would be cool.

Little big bangs? Are they like regular bangs only more oxymoronic?

But seriously, I'm not worried about this experiment. What worries me is that the world will start suffering from Mad Scientist Trying to Destroy the Planet Fatigue and the next time, when some nutter does try to implode the Universe, we'll all be like; "Yeah right, I've heard that one before.".

pete
09/09/2008, 11:02 PM
But seriously, I'm not worried about this experiment. What worries me is that the world will start suffering from Mad Scientist Trying to Destroy the Planet Fatigue and the next time, when some nutter does try to implode the Universe, we'll all be like; "Yeah right, I've heard that one before.".

On RTE news tonight they interviewed scientist guy who was asked if something could go wrong. His answer was something to the affect "nah nah the earth is constantly hit by particles from space & if nothing bad has happened from that then nothing bad will happen tomorrow..." I had this image of this scientist (http://www.thesimpsonsquotes.com/images/frinkearmuffs.gif).

Best to sleep through tomorrow.

thischarmingman
10/09/2008, 12:56 AM
I love the casual way the thread title is posed. It's as though it's just been thrown out at a bar after a couple of pints somewhere inbetween "Do you want another round?" and "How's work anyway?"

"World to end tomorrow then? Our Mary won't be too pleased..."

thischarmingman
10/09/2008, 7:20 AM
Well even if the world does end today, it wouldn't be the end of the world, sure it's nothing a switch to to a 10-team league can't solve.

Pauro 76
10/09/2008, 7:52 AM
Was it the Rolling Stones behind the experiment? Maybe it was just a bit of promotion for their album 'A Bigger Bang'......

noby
10/09/2008, 7:56 AM
You know there's going to be one scientist that blows up a paper bag and pops it just as they switch on the machine.

pineapple stu
10/09/2008, 11:22 AM
I love the casual way the thread title is posed. It's as though it's just been thrown out at a bar after a couple of pints somewhere inbetween "Do you want another round?" and "How's work anyway?"

"World to end tomorrow then? Our Mary won't be too pleased..."
I'd love to take the credit, but I think I was harking back to Douglas Adams.

"Reckon Arsenal will win tomorrow?"

"No - didn't you hear?"

"Oh yes, end of the world. So you said."

John83
10/09/2008, 11:56 AM
You know there's going to be one scientist that blows up a paper bag and pops it just as they switch on the machine.
Such a pity img code is off here.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_jpVm59Q7Xb0/SAEXzFrpjeI/AAAAAAAACKw/l5cGlkyGohk/s320/A+Far+Side+Rocket+Scientists+bagjoke.jpg

Battery Rover
10/09/2008, 1:03 PM
Its live on http://www.rte.ie/live/

deecay
10/09/2008, 1:19 PM
Sligo's holding up well.What about the rest of ye?

Longfordian
10/09/2008, 2:17 PM
Longford is like a Mad Max style post apocalyptic wastelands with deformed creatures roaming in packs scavenging for food.. so no change here really.

Red&White Rover
10/09/2008, 2:47 PM
Longford is like a Mad Max style post apocalyptic wastelands with deformed creatures roaming in packs scavenging for food.. so no change here really.

They said that there'd be benefits of this experiment alright

Longford sounds like one of the biggest beneficiaries on that basis.

Rovers1
10/09/2008, 3:27 PM
i love Longford

pineapple stu
10/09/2008, 3:32 PM
:D

I think we should call this thread the September PotM thread.

jebus
10/09/2008, 4:33 PM
I just want you to know I love you all.

I bet someone feels a bit like that priest on the Father Ted episode where the plane is gonna crash this morning

micls
10/09/2008, 8:57 PM
2 kids came into my class today telling the rest the world was going to end...ignonring the fact it was already 9.15 bte.

Took about a half hour to convince them they werent all going to die today.

thischarmingman
11/09/2008, 2:06 AM

Longford is hosting the referees AGM?

Pauro 76
11/09/2008, 8:21 AM

Ha ha love that comparison. Because it's true. :(

anto1208
11/09/2008, 10:16 AM
The experiment started yesterday but they wont be knocking particles together and creating the black holes for an other month yet so dont laugh too soon :D

Bald Student
11/09/2008, 12:14 PM
A mysterious hole appeared in the side of the Asgard today.

bennocelt
11/09/2008, 1:45 PM
The experiment started yesterday but they wont be knocking particles together and creating the black holes for an other month yet so dont laugh too soon :D

yeah thats what I noticed too, talk about a big fuss about nothing!
Still have another few months to live then, damn

Sheridan
11/09/2008, 3:09 PM
Watch the live webcam footage here: http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html