PDA

View Full Version : Metallica- Death Magnetic

thischarmingman
07/09/2008, 3:16 PM
So, anyone acquired it yet? It's actually pretty good, some very strong tracks on it and some huge, huge riffage.

Thoughts?

You can read some reviews here: http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?category_id=956&searchval=

skitz3
07/09/2008, 4:09 PM
So, anyone acquired it yet? It's actually pretty good, some very strong tracks on it and some huge, huge riffage.

Thoughts?

You can read some reviews here: http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?category_id=956&searchval=

I know there's a few tracks on the net but i didn't want to spoil the album for myself so i've just listened to one, that being "Unforgiven 3" and i think it's brilliant.

The Optimist
07/09/2008, 5:26 PM
I've managed to get get a copy of the album and i have to say its a big improvement on St Anger.
I would'nt expect to hear much of it on daytime radio.Most of the tracks are 7/8 mins long.

Pauro 76
08/09/2008, 7:31 AM
My internet connection is down at home just at the wrong time. Can't wait to hear this.

anto1208
10/09/2008, 8:59 AM
I have nt bought a metalica album since they turned around and sued napster and never will. and after watching that documentary on them i now realise they are a bunch of idiots aswell. I have more respect for s club 7 now.

thischarmingman
11/09/2008, 2:12 AM
I have nt bought a metalica album since they turned around and sued napster and never will. and after watching that documentary on them i now realise they are a bunch of idiots aswell. I have more respect for s club 7 now.

Cool. :rolleyes:

skitz3
11/09/2008, 7:39 PM

Good call :rolleyes:

Red4Eva
12/09/2008, 4:36 PM
listened to it a good 15-20 times now and i think it's quality. all nightmare long and unforgiven 3 being my favourites. it's not up there with master or ride the lightning but it's very good

Angus
16/09/2008, 12:28 PM
Top drawer.

Excellent sound - buzzsaw guitars and Hetfield sounds really strong

Sam_Heggy
16/09/2008, 12:34 PM

ffs, are you for real? :eek:

Great album, agree unforgiven 3 prob my favourite track.
Its much better than last few, still not their best stuff though.

Pauro 76
18/09/2008, 9:37 AM
ffs, are you for real? :eek:

Great album, agree unforgiven 3 prob my favourite track.
Its much better than last few, still not their best stuff though.

I've just listened to Master of Puppets and Justice For All back to back. Absolutely immense albums the both of them. Still havent listened to the new one yet. I'll get it off Napster soon. ;) Is it me or did the drums on St. Anger sound like banging trash cans?

Pauro 76
23/09/2008, 7:32 AM
Finally got to listen to it. An absolute beast of an album, terrific stuff, best since And Justice For All. Best tracks, All Nightmare Long and Cyanide. A big welcome back to guitar solos, more than you can shake a stick at here.

paul_oshea
23/09/2008, 9:47 AM
damn lads sounds good. gotta get a listen to this album.

Pauro 76
23/09/2008, 10:14 AM
damn lads sounds good. gotta get a listen to this album.

Back to the glory days, one of the most impressive albums this year.

DolansWaistcoat
30/09/2008, 1:53 PM
great album,play it loud.:cool:

Snoop Drog
01/10/2008, 3:02 AM
Back to the glory days,

I think "back" is the problem with this album. They have tried to recreate their 80's sound but this offering is nowhere near as good as MOP or RTL.

Up until their "Load" period, there was somewhat of a progression, from album to album, in the Metallica sound (moving towards more bluesy riffs at times). This album definitely draws upon their early sounds and there is very little on it that sounds new.

It is a shame because Metallica where at one time innovators but this album smacks of 4 uber-rich, middle age men who have run out of ideas.

Pauro 76
01/10/2008, 7:45 AM
I think "back" is the problem with this album. They have tried to recreate their 80's sound but this offering is nowhere near as good as MOP or RTL.

Up until their "Load" period, there was somewhat of a progression, from album to album, in the Metallica sound (moving towards more bluesy riffs at times). This album definitely draws upon their early sounds and there is very little on it that sounds new.

It is a shame because Metallica where at one time innovators but this album smacks of 4 uber-rich, middle age men who have run out of ideas.

ReLoad didnt work, St. Anger didnt work, so why not back to basics? A lot of people said the rot started from the Black album. Load was decent in patches, I know bands progress their sound, but if it all goes t!ts up, why not go back....

Snoop Drog
01/10/2008, 10:11 PM
why not go back....

Because now that they've gone back they haven't been able to produce the same form as MOP and RTL. This album is average (although a couple of the tracks are not too bad).

I agree that they had lost their direction on recent albums but...if they have nothing new to say, perhaps they should way nothing.

brianw82
03/10/2008, 3:45 AM
I haven't even bothered to check this album out, and probably won't.

As far is metal is concerned, there is just SO much more than Metallica out there. That's more than enough to keep me happy.

paul_oshea
03/10/2008, 11:01 AM
to be honest i find myself having to go backwards rather than forwards when it comes to metal

hopefully priest, megadeth and testament should be good. But I find myself listening to more and more of the Gods of Metal rather than any of the new stuff as its like the new indie tight jeans crap thats been poisoning the charts for hte last few years, they all come and go and are gone after a couple of albums.

Mr A
03/10/2008, 12:47 PM
This album has been growing on me, but I don't think it's up there with their best stuff. And I don't think the lyrics are particularly good, some of it sounds a bit juvenile to be honest.

thischarmingman
07/10/2008, 12:06 AM
Because now that they've gone back they haven't been able to produce the same form as MOP and RTL.

I hate it when people say that. MOP and RTL were one offs- most of the greatest musicians have a handful of legendary albums if even that and then a number of albums that seemingly bask in their shadows that people won't give a chance to. One paper called it the 'fetishisation on MOP.' Pretend MOP and RTL never happened and DM is a quality abum. It's pointless constantly comparing.

thischarmingman
07/10/2008, 12:08 AM
This album has been growing on me, but I don't think it's up there with their best stuff. And I don't think the lyrics are particularly good, some of it sounds a bit juvenile to be honest.

In fairness Mr A, going to Metallica for good lyrics is rather like going to Temple Bar to meet real Dubliners- it misses the point entirely. :p

paul_oshea
07/10/2008, 2:07 PM
"chop your breakfast on a mirror" has to be one of the greatest lyric ever. Metallica do have good lyrics, certainly better than Iron maiden anyhow, or acdc etc.