PDA

View Full Version : I fear for Rovers

Counting Crow
23/09/2003, 10:13 PM
OK there is no drink taken here ......... and I know it is somewhat bizare coming from a City fan but, wait for it.........

........I genuinely fear for Rovers future.

If they now have to play the remainder of their "home" games away from home ( wherever that may be ) it will cost them a fortune and could send them under.

If this happens we will be without, possibly, the most eagerly awaited fixture of the season @ the Cross each year.

I look forward to this game more than any other. Think back over the years and the games we have had

...... League Cup Final
...... 2-0 down 3-2 up - enough said
......1-1 last minute equaliser
......1-0 Reynolds "homecoming" - classic match.

I hope they get out of this one.

I would rather be looking forward to this fixture than a dozen games vs the likes of Harps, Kildare, Galway or any of the other also rans.

patsh
24/09/2003, 8:48 AM
I don't.......

pete
24/09/2003, 11:24 AM
Rovers are unlikely to lose much money but if have to play 'away' for the remained of the season may as well write off the season.

Its hard to believe Rovbers couldn't have found somewhere in the Pale to play. Surely someone could have helped them out?

WeAreRovers
24/09/2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Conor74

But clearly the prospect of travelling for all games, even if the scum element in their own following is to blame, is bleak and we all like the Rovers games.

Just to prove that a lie repeated often enough becomes the truth. We were ALWAYS leaving Richmond in September. Our agreement with Pats ran out at the end of August and was on a game by game basis after that.

Granted the bother after the Bohs game didn't help but it wasn't the reason that we left. The residents of Inchicore don't want any team there, Pats or Rovers and Pats have to be very careful regarding their planning application for the new stand.

Our fans became a handy scapegoat for Pats board and the residents, simple as that.

KOH

wws
24/09/2003, 12:15 PM
well as I am a resident there I can tell you that is untrue

pats have a great relationship with the residents but the chairman was bound to a promise he made to one particular group after minor trouble on emmet road earlier this season

if he had have renegaded on it than yes the attitude to pats from this group might have changed somewhat, but its just untrue to say they want pats out as well

WeAreRovers
24/09/2003, 12:34 PM
WWS, to clarify, the residents will "put up" with a game every 2 weeks but not every Friday, as was the case. So Rovers being in Richmond didn't help Pats relationship with the locals.

KOH

paudie
24/09/2003, 12:54 PM
What is the latest on the Tallaght stadium?

Is Ben dunne still involved? Will it be ready for next season?

patsh
24/09/2003, 1:12 PM
If they were "ALWAYS leaving Richmond in September" how come SR did not manage to get anywhere else to play?
The scum hoped to stay at Inchicore, no matter what their "fans say", because they have nowhere else to go.
The club must be a complete shambles given that they did not even have a plan b...:rolleyes:

WeAreRovers
24/09/2003, 1:18 PM
Listen scumbag (if you can resort to cheap namecalling so can I) Rovers knew that they'd be out in September but that if the pitch was holding up we'd be allowed stay. Circumstances changed and Rovers were kicked out. They never had a plan B, it's a very, very badly run club. No mystery.

Mind you could be worse, could be "leasing" a ground from junior football and have a chip shop owner for a chairman. :)

KOH

pete
24/09/2003, 1:21 PM
Given Rovers lease at Richmond Park was to end in September i think SRFC should have been more proactive in spourcing an alternative home ground as there were no guarantees Pats would renew the lease for a few months.

Obviously things changed are the Bohs match but possibly shows a lack of foresight by SRFC.

Estar
24/09/2003, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
If the League lost Rovers and Limerick, it could be fatal. They're not gonna be replaced by Castlebar and Tralee...

I think it would be worse for Irish soccer if Limerick were lost (A poor reflection on the people of Limerick). Leaving only small pockets of soccer in munster.

Rovers can always be replaced by another Dublin team i.e Talaght Utd etc. It a shame a lot of history would be lost with them, but it wouldn't be a first in Irish soccer.

paudie
24/09/2003, 2:46 PM
Much as I dislike Rovers on the pitch it would be a shame to see such a historic club go under.

The bad publicity for the league would put us back a good bit.

golly
24/09/2003, 2:46 PM
the irony off arovers fan calling us scumbags

Seanie
24/09/2003, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow

If this happens we will be without, possibly, the most eagerly awaited fixture of the season @ the Cross each year.

I look forward to this game more than any other. Think back over the years and the games we have had

...... League Cup Final
...... 2-0 down 3-2 up - enough said
......1-1 last minute equaliser
......1-0 Reynolds "homecoming" - classic match.

I hope they get out of this one.

I would rather be looking forward to this fixture than a dozen games vs the likes of Harps, Kildare, Galway or any of the other also rans.

Agree 100% - as funny as it is to laugh at Rovers predicament, I hope it is only a temporary thing cos it will be harmful to the League as a whole

WeAreRovers
24/09/2003, 4:27 PM
Originally posted by pete

Obviously things changed are the Bohs match but possibly shows a lack of foresight by SRFC.

Spot on, Rovers board aren't exactly known for their foresight.

KOH

patsh
24/09/2003, 5:37 PM
Originally posted by WeAreRovers
Listen scumbag (if you can resort to cheap namecalling so can I) Rovers knew that they'd be out in September but that if the pitch was holding up we'd be allowed stay. Circumstances changed and Rovers were kicked out. They never had a plan B, it's a very, very badly run club. No mystery.

Mind you could be worse, could be "leasing" a ground from junior football and have a chip shop owner for a chairman. :)

KOH
Cheap Namecalling????:confused:
Scum are scum, fact not namecalling...
Back to the ghetto, to your sh*tty little no ground, no fans, no hope shambles of a "club"