PDA

View Full Version : Georgia V Ireland - Saturday, 6th September 2008 - World Cup 2010 Q - Mainz, Germany

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wheels
04/09/2008, 3:26 PM
Irish Times is reporting that Trap has confirmed the starting line-up for the Georgia game.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2008/0904/1220372130298.html

Given

Finnan O'Shea Dunne Kilbane

McGeady S.Reid Whelan Hunt

Keane Doyle

third policeman
04/09/2008, 3:43 PM
As predicted but disappointed that Andy Reid is not included. The "Whelan situation" is a real conundrum. Of course I want him and the team to do well, but if he does perform he will cement his place in Trap's plans and he is nowhere near good enough to play international football or do a job against top opposition. Reid, Reid and Carsely are our most experienced and proven international performers and together offer everything that a midfield needs (guile, energy and defensive resolve), but this would mean dropping the 4-4-2 system. It has surely been apparent since the latter days of Kerr that we do not have the right blend of central midfield players to play 4-4-2 and yet we persist with a system that leaves us woefully exposed and forces us to leave one of our few genuine international class players out of the team.

Duggie
04/09/2008, 3:45 PM
pretty much as expected with duff out. id like to think if things arent going well he will introduce andy reid. id be much happier if he were in that central midfield position. cant wait for the game :ball:

TheBoss
04/09/2008, 3:47 PM
I think that not playing Andy Reid is a good decision, Andy Reid is not knowing for his tracking back and in an away game, he would not be beneficial to the team, I think that playing Whelan and Steven Reid is a solid base for an away game, they get stuck and give the ball to the creative wingers to create the chances, a standard away tactic, I think Andy Reid will play in the home games as we have to break down the team and with him in the team in Home game, that would be better for the team in that situation.

see's it
04/09/2008, 3:55 PM
andy reid wont give the ball away as much as the two picked which to me is a more solid base for an away game

tetsujin1979
04/09/2008, 3:57 PM
was in the independent this morning too: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-shows-his-hand-1468979.html

The Scientist
04/09/2008, 4:02 PM
Cousin was out on Sunday night and was with a member of the Irish squad and he said Andy Reid was told he needs to lose another stone before he will be considered in traps plans!! He also said that the Stephen Ireland saga is a no go area. He isn’t returning in this campaign

Ordinary Fan
04/09/2008, 4:07 PM
No defence.

A mid-field that can't create.

Forwards that can't score.

It is better than Stan's effort but only because they are organised.

Back to the prayers again.

musicinmouth
04/09/2008, 4:08 PM
I think it's a good team that should do well. However, I would have chosen Andy Reid instead of Glenn Whelan. Whelan hasn't been playing for Stoke in the last couple of weeks and Andy Reid has been playing really well for Sunderland, going out of his way to be combative and to prove his fitness. The idea that he needs to lose a stone is ridiculous.

smasher
04/09/2008, 4:10 PM
I think that not playing Andy Reid is a good decision, Andy Reid is not knowing for his tracking back and in an away game, he would not be beneficial to the team, I think that playing Whelan and Steven Reid is a solid base for an away game, they get stuck and give the ball to the creative wingers to create the chances, a standard away tactic, I think Andy Reid will play in the home games as we have to break down the team and with him in the team in Home game, that would be better for the team in that situation.

Trapp has selected the best side for the game. I would have no doubts re Whelan . He will add much to our team . Not too enamoured with O'Shea , but better than McShane.

finnpark
04/09/2008, 4:24 PM
Cousin was out on Sunday night and was with a member of the Irish squad and he said Andy Reid was told he needs to lose another stone before he will be considered in traps plans!! He also said that the Stephen Ireland saga is a no go area. He isn’t returning in this campaign

Its incredible that such a pro player is so out of shape. Shame on his club

Duggie
04/09/2008, 4:29 PM
Its incredible that such a pro player is so out of shape. Shame on his club

thats a load of crap - hes been that way his whole career. its just his build. reid prob covers more ground on matchday than any other player.

boovidge
04/09/2008, 4:33 PM
At the end of the day Trap's an experienced manager who has won trophies. If he feels Whelan's a better choice then I have no reason to doubt this is the right decision, before we even kick a ball.

Duggie
04/09/2008, 4:36 PM
ya i think we can all see the logic behind it. if we win the game i dont think any of us will complain. but as i said i hope he brings him in at some stage if we need some creativity if its not going to plan.

lionelhutz
04/09/2008, 4:39 PM
If Staunton made a decision similar to picking Whelan ahead of A Reid, there would be absolute uproar and calls for his head - even at the start of his reign. Maybe this was because most people knew immediately that Stan didn't have a clue what he was doing.

The feeling is different with Trap - and I believe rightly so. He genuinely has a plan for this team and a the style of play he wants to impose. I trust in his decisions - even though I would love to see A Reid there.

And at least the players are in positions they're comfortable with - Finnan is right back, Kilbane is playing left back at club level, two midfielders are traditional MF players, we've two proper wide men and strikers. There's a definite balance to the team.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2008, 4:43 PM
I think most of us would prefer Reid over Whelan but it is what it is. There are 2 other threads open dealing with this situation and I for one can see the merit in Trap's thinking.

I honestly think a Reid & Reid combo would have Steven Reid playing deeper with Andy Reid dictating play further up. I'd say Trap sees a Steven Reid / Whelan combo as being more versatile and better able to dovetail. On the evidence of the first half in Norway I wouldn't disagree - our ball retention was superb, the balance was good, Steven Reid was a delight to behold and the passing was crisp, purposeful and accurate once we settled into the game.

No other contentious inclusions in my opinion. Hunt for Duff is straightforward, O'Shea & Dunne at CB is a no-brainer for me and I find it hard to understand how many here see otherwise. I liked what I saw of Delaney at LB but Kilbane was always going to start a game like this. I do have concerns that at home to Cyprus the Kilbane / Hunt combo on the left side was a shambles but hopefully it'll get better.

Torn-Ado
04/09/2008, 4:58 PM
Hmmmmm...

shakermaker1982
04/09/2008, 5:07 PM
we need better players to start coming out of the woodwork and fast but hey ho we should beat Georgia with that starting 11.

I just pray we start learning how to defend corners and set pieces. It'd also be nice if we started scoring from them......maybe we should seek England for tips on how to do this because in fairness it's where they get the majority of their goals from!!! Scoring in open play is not their forte.

Razors left peg
04/09/2008, 5:14 PM
No defence.

A mid-field that can't create.

Forwards that can't score.

It is better than Stan's effort but only because they are organised.

Back to the prayers again.

Yeah we should give up now and not even bother watching the games

Torn-Ado
04/09/2008, 5:30 PM
Yeah we should give up now and not even bother watching the games

Thats a very defeated attitude Dougal!

Kingdom
04/09/2008, 5:48 PM
I think most of us would prefer Reid over Whelan but it is what it is. There are 2 other threads open dealing with this situation and I for one can see the merit in Trap's thinking.

I honestly think a Reid & Reid combo would have Steven Reid playing deeper with Andy Reid dictating play further up. I'd say Trap sees a Steven Reid / Whelan combo as being more versatile and better able to dovetail. On the evidence of the first half in Norway I wouldn't disagree - our ball retention was superb, the balance was good, Steven Reid was a delight to behold and the passing was crisp, purposeful and accurate once we settled into the game.

No other contentious inclusions in my opinion. Hunt for Duff is straightforward, O'Shea & Dunne at CB is a no-brainer for me and I find it hard to understand how many here see otherwise. I liked what I saw of Delaney at LB but Kilbane was always going to start a game like this. I do have concerns that at home to Cyprus the Kilbane / Hunt combo on the left side was a shambles but hopefully it'll get better.

Sums up exactly how I feel about it. As for the Reid issue, Trap has more or less said he'll be playing one style away and another at home depending on the type of opposition.

jjppc
04/09/2008, 6:17 PM
Sums up exactly how I feel about it. As for the Reid issue, Trap has more or less said he'll be playing one style away and another at home depending on the type of opposition.

This isn't a true away game, got to go for the three points, got to have Reid. I would have McGeady on the bench.

irishultra
04/09/2008, 6:29 PM
Why drop McGeady though? He has the skill to cut inside and unleash a shot and Georgian players will naturally have him earmarked(right phrase?) creating more space. Andy Reid in my opinion should play, but Trapattoni is his own man, and is making what he believes is a logical decision, which I understand. However if I was to see Liam Miller making his way onto the pitch while Andy eats some curly fries and a quarter pounder on the touchline, questions will be asked.

Brendan 82
04/09/2008, 6:51 PM
It does look like quite a strong team to be fair. Delighted that Hunt is going in ahead of Keogh. They look solid and as someone said above, they are all playing in their natural positions. I think they will win handily on Saturday but maybe that is just optimism on my part. I know I can't wait though, fingers crossed

jjppc
04/09/2008, 7:02 PM
Why drop McGeady though? He has the skill to cut inside and unleash a shot and Georgian players will naturally have him earmarked(right phrase?) creating more space.

Yet to see McGeady turn it on for Ireland, and he's easily knocked off the ball, that said he's playing and I hope he has a stormer (its about time!)

DotTV
04/09/2008, 7:07 PM
It will be interesting to see how we perform with everyone playing in the correct positions.
No right backs playing left back and left backs at right back. No wingers up front or front men on the wing. I could go on!
Good balance to the team. not sure of whelan but let's see what happens.

Condex
04/09/2008, 7:32 PM
Where is Carsley ?

eirebhoy
04/09/2008, 7:34 PM
Where is Carsley ?
Where have you been this past week? :)

ken foree
04/09/2008, 7:44 PM
It will be interesting to see how we perform with everyone playing in the correct positions.
No right backs playing left back and left backs at right back. No wingers up front or front men on the wing. I could go on!
Good balance to the team. not sure of whelan but let's see what happens.

well we could be pedantic and mention kilbane but the hell with it COME ON IRELAND!!!!

mjpcc
04/09/2008, 7:45 PM
At the end of the day Trap's an experienced manager who has won trophies. If he feels Whelan's a better choice then I have no reason to doubt this is the right decision, before we even kick a ball.

I agree. That's why he is getting the big bucks.
But is'nt it fun that we have something to argue about while we wait for Saturday :D

Irish_Praha
04/09/2008, 8:00 PM
Maybe someone has mentioned this before but I think it's refreshing that an Irish manager has the confidence to announce his intended team two days before the game. None of this codology of naming the team at the last minute in an attempt to keep the oposition guessing. Maybe the late announcement has its advantanges but as mjpcc said Trap gives us the opportunity to argue about something new over the next few days :)
It also shows that he has confidence in his selection and doesn't care that the opposition have extra time to decided on the best team to play against us.

FarBeag
04/09/2008, 8:04 PM
I am glad Finnan is back but he can’t be fit as he has played no competitive games for months now. Surely Kelly or Foley would have been the better option here until Finnan gets back on track. I think O’ Shea will be fine and I would rather have Delaney at left back. It’s his natural position; he is fully fit and is a big strong tall fellow, something we are generally lacking.

I am very disappointed that Andy Reid is not playing.He is ten times the player Whelan is and can do everything Whelan does but much much better. He is intelligent creative, plays regularly for his club and can get a goal from nowhere.

Anyway Trap picks the team so he knows best.

tetsujin1979
04/09/2008, 10:13 PM
Paul McGrath's take on the side, in particular the omission of Andy Reid, from NewsTalk earlier: http://media.putfile.com/Paul-McGrath-on-the-Ireland-team-VS-Georgia

Noelys Guitar
04/09/2008, 11:21 PM
Paul McGrath's take on the side, in particular the omission of Andy Reid, from NewsTalk earlier: http://media.putfile.com/Paul-McGrath-on-the-Ireland-team-VS-Georgia

Great stuff Tetsujin. Good interview. And I agree with McGrath that we need 6 points from these 2 games.

Razors left peg
05/09/2008, 12:59 PM
Thats a very defeated attitude Dougal!

was said with a healthy dose of sarcasim, I cant wait for the 2 games,very confident of 6 points.
just a point on the Whelan ahead of Reid situation... I would prefer Reidy every time but at least Trapattoni has a system that he knows that he wants the team to play and he picks players that are right for that system.Compare that to Capello for England who in his last friendly just picked the english players on reputation and sent Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham out in the same midfield when its been proven that it doesnt work for them many times, square pegs in round holes rather than putting the team first

dr_peepee
05/09/2008, 2:13 PM
I don't agree with the selection of Hunt. I think it goes against what Trapp has said he's trying to instill in the team in terms of retaining posession and patience. Hunt will battle and has good delivery without doubt, but has a tendency to run into walls or get to the line and get the cross in (historically a good asset admittedly but the jist of this new era it's about only putting the ball in when it's right). McGeady has show numerous times for Ireland that if the right ball is not on that he can play his way out and pass back to start the attack again. Duff has the ability to do this. And Reid we know is well able to retain posession.

I understand though that Hunt will run at them put them on the back foot, win frees and battle when we're not in posession, but I wondered about the relevance of that in this case with Kilbane playing at left full...

Duggie
05/09/2008, 3:19 PM
fingers crossed im going for a 2-0 win. think were def going to take the three points. wha ye reckon...........???

irishultra
05/09/2008, 3:22 PM
eh not sure really. I dont want to be so optimistic so I'll say a 1-1 draw, then everything else is a bonus.

olegunnar
05/09/2008, 3:56 PM
I think it will be a tight game, and we will get a late win. Georgia will be tougher than some people might expect.

We can all admit the days of us expecting to beat anyone is gone, so let's all be optomistic, and i really think we can win it!!

Andy Keogh and Andy Reid to get in and change things, and we get a tight win!!!

Billy-Green
05/09/2008, 3:56 PM
I'd go for 3-1 win for us.
Reid and Murphy to come on and change the game for the better

Delbertt
05/09/2008, 3:58 PM
Im gona go 1-0 to Ireland
Bulgaria to draw 1-1
Italy to win 1-0 or mybe get held to a draw hopefully

Saint07
05/09/2008, 4:01 PM
cant see us giving a goal away, just hope we can get one ourselves. Will go for a 1-0 and would be happy!

Stuttgart88
05/09/2008, 4:01 PM
Decent* blog on the issue from 11-a-side.com. However, given that Reid played wide for Sunderland recently, it does pose the question whether he could have been considered a replacement for Duff. He & Duff occupied the flanks in Reid's early caps under Kerr.

* do Sunderland have european qualification ambitions?

In Trap we trust
By Shane Breslin

Some might frown on Andy Reid’s absence from the Republic of Ireland side for Saturday’s World Cup kick-off against Georgia, but the decision at least reflects a level of thinking about midfield protocol which was sorely lacking from the previous regime.

By his own admission, Reid is in the form of his life. At 26 and occasional captain of a club with aspirations of European qualification, he can put forward convincing claims for inclusion in the Ireland side.

That he is not, that his preferred place in the centre of midfield goes instead to Glenn Whelan, a player who has seen last than an hour of top flight action in his entire career, might seem incongruous but, as a case of formulating a viable system, Giovanni Trapattoni’s decision must be applauded.

While it may be stretching it to suggest that Reid is a dispensable luxury, there is little room for argument that his presence requires a degree of accommodation.

When Sunderland’s holding midfielders Dean Whitehead and Teemu Tainio were both unavailable for last weekend’s meeting with Manchester City, Reid was shuffled wide. It was clear that Roy Keane thought it imprudent to select him at the centre of an orthodox 4-4-2, so it should be no real surprise that Trapattoni concurs.

With his namesake kicking his heels on the bench, much will be expected of Steven Reid. There were convincing signs in Oslo last month that he is ready to take on the mantle of driving force in the Ireland side, a role which has not been filled since Roy Keane circa 2001.

Whelan, too, must live up to his billing as chief water-carrier. Nothing extravagant will be expected of someone who has seen a raft of summer arrivals demote him to bit-part player at Stoke. His task will be to deny the Georgians midfield fluency and find any green shirt with a simple pass.

Presumably, Whelan’s form in Trap’s three games to date has seen the new regime move forward without Lee Carsley, and it will be testament to his rate of progress if Carsley’s absence from the start of a qualification campaign is not mourned again come Saturday night.

Damien Duff’s injury problems give a chance to the waspish Stephen Hunt, who has added a dangerous dead-ball delivery to his trademark frenzied energy. Aiden McGeady will also need to step up to the plate and produce some of the creativity in a green shirt he routinely manages in hoops.

The satisfying thing is that, should an hour or more pass without any breakthrough, Trapattoni has options. Andy Reid apart, Daryl Murphy has started the season quite well at Sunderland, where he looks a better prospect on the left wing than up front, while Andy Keogh has already made an impact under the Italian’s guidance.

Midfield was the sector which contributed most to Steve Staunton’s travails. He used seven different players in central midfield in his first five games in charge, which saw four successive defeats and 11 goals conceded.

Trap, in stark contrast, has clearly defined ideas and already Ireland have looked sturdier as a result. We might ponder on the absence of arguably Ireland’s most talented playmaker, but for now and hopefully a couple of years to come, we must trust in Trap.

lionelhutz
05/09/2008, 4:24 PM
4-1 to Ireland, having a 5euro bet on it :)

jbyrne
05/09/2008, 4:24 PM
1 nil to us in a poor game

Ordinary Fan
05/09/2008, 4:37 PM
2:1 and a nervous and frantic finish.

Kingdom
05/09/2008, 4:38 PM
Quite confident of a 2-0 win reminiscent of the Charlton era scorelines! Can't see us conceding one.

Fester
05/09/2008, 4:48 PM
Go for a 2-0 win for us.
Montenegro to win v Bulgaria
Italy to draw

SUB of the day
05/09/2008, 5:16 PM
Definitely feel draw is most likely result, probably 0 0, maybe 1 1:ball:

amaccann
05/09/2008, 5:26 PM
A 2-0 win for us;
I think we'll be shaky at first, the Georgians will come out all guns blazing with a point (as it were) to prove, of this I am sure. We'll weather the storm & nick a goal against the run of play. After that the game will fizzle out as a spectacle & a second will come deep into the second half.
I have spoken! ;)