PDA

View Full Version : Gattuso as good as Whelan?

noddy102
06/09/2008, 2:47 PM
Trapattoni has compared Whelan to Gennaro Gattuso. If Trap thinks so, it must be so right? Therefore I think that warrants his selection in the team.

Discuss.

irishultra
06/09/2008, 2:48 PM
Maby not as good as Genarro but he can offer us simular attributes maby, like no goals and lots of needless running :D

niallsparky
06/09/2008, 2:50 PM
Whelan is better than Gattuso. Simple as.

irishultra
06/09/2008, 2:52 PM
I concur.

eirebhoy
06/09/2008, 3:08 PM
He certainly didn't say Whelan is as good as Gattuso ffs. :D

"When I first saw Whelan, I thought immediately 'midfield'. In Italy there is a famous player, Gattuso -- for Milan he is very, very important. He is no Inzaghi, Kaka, but he is Gattuso. For us, Whelan is the same in midfield. We need a strong player."

He's basically saying Whelan isn't flashy but he has an important job to do. I never would have thought of Whelan as that combative Gattuso type but maybe he had to change as he went up to a higher level.

backstothewall
06/09/2008, 5:27 PM
Get more goals though. ;)

SuperDave
06/09/2008, 5:55 PM
Maby not as good as Genarro but he can offer us simular attributes maby, like no goals and lots of needless running :D

[coughs]

even though it was a howler

carloz
06/09/2008, 6:05 PM
Im delighted for Whealan tonight. You have people like Ciaran here claiming he does nothing and adds nothing to the team. He had an excellent game tonight and his parternship ith S. Reid looks like it has excellent potential. Looking at the game tonight i have to question what Tony Pulis is thinking by keeping him on the bench

tetsujin1979
06/09/2008, 7:52 PM
Absolutely delighted for Whelan tonight, I've been following his career for a long time, and tonight he showed what he can do. To categorise him as a "holding player" is doing the guy a great disservice, he breaks up attacks, makes the simple pass, hold possession, and can score. To put it bluntly, he does the simple things well, and that, is something we need to make the rest of the team function

seanfhear
06/09/2008, 8:00 PM
Whelan is showing enough to be in the team ahead of miller by a long way.

livehead1
07/09/2008, 4:29 AM
Im delighted for Whealan tonight. You have people like Ciaran here claiming he does nothing and adds nothing to the team. He had an excellent game tonight and his parternship ith S. Reid looks like it has excellent potential. Looking at the game tonight i have to question what Tony Pulis is thinking by keeping him on the bench

Think you may have inadvertantly touched on something here... Much in the same vain as Trap has left Reid out, he has his reasons and perhaps they are valid for the performance of the respective systems.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2008, 7:55 AM
Whelan is showing enough to be in the team ahead of miller by a long way.by a country mile! Miller can sod off for all I care. Someone make him read Kilbane's interview last week to make him realise how lucky he is.

I'm glad most here rated Whelan's performance. I've been a fan for a while but wasn't that impressed last night, not with his use of the ball anyway. Defensively he seemed to do well. My judgment isn't always the best after watching Ireland in the pub. A combination of beer and nerves makes the games fly by.

Allstar
07/09/2008, 11:15 AM
Can someone tell me how andy reid cant get in to the team??
He didnt even bring him on. The boys class. Much better than hunt or mcgeady.

the-blue-harp
07/09/2008, 2:21 PM
Can someone tell me how andy reid cant get in to the team??
He didnt even bring him on. The boys class. Much better than hunt or mcgeady.

there is enough threads talking about that already allstar! as long as we win games and not get beat, im leaving it up to trap's judgement on the matter and what kind of system he is trying to put in place. andy reid may just be unlucky that he doesnt fit into those plans at the minute. but how lucky are we that we have a selection headache, shows there's a bit of strenght in the team and they'll have to work hard for places. so far trap hasnt put a foot wrong, we won comfortably yesterday

OwlsFan
08/09/2008, 6:57 AM
I sat in my front room with 3 friends and we watched the game together. We all thought Whelan was anonymous. Reid was the main man in midfield - far superior to Whelan and yet Beglin gives Whelan mofm :confused: WOuld we have remembered him if the goalie didn't make a howler? Whelan is a neat and tidy player but he is nothing special as time will tell. There are good reasons why his club manager doesn't play him. Comparisons at this stage with Gattuso are typical knee jerk reactions. He wasn't a success at Man City and dropped a division to Wednesday where he played well and I was disappointed to see him go but he moved sideways to another Championship side at the time in Stoke. If he was so great a Premiership side would have come in for him.

I would love to see Whelan prosper but on the edivence I have seen I would be surprised if he does but clearly it's in our interests if he does.

drummerboy
08/09/2008, 7:43 AM
Whelan is linked with a loan move to Plymouth in this mornings papers.

paul_oshea
08/09/2008, 10:17 AM
I sat in my front room with 3 friends and we watched the game together. We all thought Whelan was anonymous. Reid was the main man in midfield - far superior to Whelan and yet Beglin gives Whelan mofm :confused: WOuld we have remembered him if the goalie didn't make a howler? Whelan is a neat and tidy player but he is nothing special as time will tell. There are good reasons why his club manager doesn't play him. Comparisons at this stage with Gattuso are typical knee jerk reactions. He wasn't a success at Man City and dropped a division to Wednesday where he played well and I was disappointed to see him go but he moved sideways to another Championship side at the time in Stoke. If he was so great a Premiership side would have come in for him.

I would love to see Whelan prosper but on the edivence I have seen I would be surprised if he does but clearly it's in our interests if he does.

thats exactly what i thought. I was told the following day he got MOTM in the pub back in london and i was like, huh? whelan are ye sure? reid was everywhere yesterday, you dont notice the off the ball and showing for hte ball on tele, but reid was constantly supporting hte back four, spraying the ball around. Was very impressed with him yesterday I have to say. HOpe to god he doesnt get injured. Whelan on the other hand did seem annoymous, but maybe i was watching a different game, like stutts, combination of beer and nerves games fly by. Have to say though its a lot easier watch an Ireland match at the match rather than on tele.

Scram
08/09/2008, 12:25 PM
Whelan is far more an Ambrosini than a Gattuso

Isn't that a creamed rice desert. Are you saying you are sweet on him ?

youngirish
08/09/2008, 12:30 PM
I'm no fan of Gattuso but he is unfortunately for us way better than Whelan as a holding midfield player though Whelan is a better passer of the ball.

Reid is probably better than the little dwarf though.

eirebhoy
08/09/2008, 4:30 PM

I had him down as probably top contender for motm before he even scored. Far from anonymous. From a purely neutral point of view, Italy's Gazzetta rated him 7/10 which was our highest. Reid got 6.5 and was described as excellent.

OwlsFan
09/09/2008, 9:13 AM
Views of Wednesday fans on Whelan:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=464&fid=222&sty=2&act=1&mid=2128438970

Pretty much back up what I was saying.

Reality Bites
09/09/2008, 10:26 AM
I think the title of this thread is bloated and should be amended to Whelan Solid midfielder defender -no more no less but to say he is as good as Gattuso is the kind of mentality I call Celtic Tiger mentality that folks in this country have developed over the last five or so years i.e deluded sense of how good we actually are

Stuttgart88
09/09/2008, 10:34 AM
yeah, the original Gattuso reference was from Trap saying he was like Gattuso in style, not as good as or better than!

eirebhoy
09/09/2008, 4:38 PM
Views of Wednesday fans on Whelan:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=464&fid=222&sty=2&act=1&mid=2128438970

Pretty much back up what I was saying.
It'd be interesting to see your opinion after watching the game again because he was as involved in our play as much as any player. Unless I was imagining it. ;) There's plenty of times after watching a game once where I hardly notice a player in a game until I watch it again.

OwlsFan
09/09/2008, 5:08 PM
Let's just agree that we hope he does the business on Wednesday.

Razors left peg
10/09/2008, 8:36 AM
It'd be interesting to see your opinion after watching the game again because he was as involved in our play as much as any player. Unless I was imagining it. ;) There's plenty of times after watching a game once where I hardly notice a player in a game until I watch it again.

I kinda focused on him alot in the game and thought he was excellent

backstothewall
10/09/2008, 6:51 PM
Jim beglin has given him his second man of the match this week

tetsujin1979
10/09/2008, 7:16 PM
Deserved the man of the match too, far more than at the weekend. With Steven Reid carrying an injury, he needed to step up from the performance at the weekend, and did.
Always available for a pass, made some strong tackles, and if the clearance from the free had come to his right, instead of his left, you'd have fancied him to score.

Stuttgart88
11/09/2008, 7:08 AM
Didn't he make a great sliding tackle in our own box in the first half, toe poking the ball back to Given with Dunne struggling?

He made room for that shot brilliantly, lovely footwork.

OwlsFan
11/09/2008, 8:34 AM
Yep he played well. The role just in front of the back four suits him. Tidying up and linking with the full backs and centre halves. Fingers crossed he can continue to develope.

DeNiro
11/09/2008, 9:12 AM
Whelan excellent and very effective. Is this the end of Carsley? He's probably a better all round player than him anyway.

Duggie
11/09/2008, 9:14 AM
id prefer whelan to carsley.

tetsujin1979
11/09/2008, 9:28 AM
I think after the last 2 games, we should change the thread title to "Gattuso as good as Whelan?" :D

noddy102
12/09/2008, 1:07 PM
Betcha he won't play for Stoke this weekend!

Drumcondra 69er
12/09/2008, 1:16 PM
Whelan excellent and very effective. Is this the end of Carsley? He's probably a better all round player than him anyway.

Come on, Whelan's been great the last 2 games for Ireland and all credit to him but Carsley was consitently excellent over a number of seasons in the EPL especially during his Everton spell , Whelan has age on his said but he's a long way to go before he could be considered a better all round player then Carsley.

But I reckon it could be the end of Carsley alright barring injuries.

Mods, should the other Whelan thread be merged with this, no point having 2 is there.....

Stuttgart88
12/09/2008, 1:37 PM
I have to say that against Brazil Carsley snapped at ankles and made tackles a lot but once he had the ball his use of it was utterly shocking. Whelan's distribution has been conservative but accurate and well timed. Whelan's not averse to Carrick-like cross field passes from deep at club level and I'm sure in due course we'll see even better distribution from Whelan.

That said, the team seems well drilled now in keeping it short and simple whereas under Stan and also Trap's first game against Serbia it was just hoof hoof hoof, so maybe I'm not comparing like with like.

geysir
12/09/2008, 2:52 PM
Carsley is Whelan in slow motion.

I like that bit of zip and instinctiveness that Whelan brings.