PDA

View Full Version : INFO: Heads up about ebay

Jimmie O'
06/09/2008, 1:01 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know, the wife has just been scammed. She had a mobile phone up for sale, and someone from Germany outbidded everyone else. On confirming she had the winning bid, my wife was asked to ship the phone not to Germany, but to an address in Nigeria, which she foolishly done. Now it turns out the purchaser had a bogus account on eBay and pay pal, so she is out of pocket the £15 it cost to ship it to Nigeria, and of course the watch. EBay have of course suspended the bogus account, but that does not help the wife. She has a shipping ticket from the PO, and all they could tell her, was because the parcel was already in transit, they will ask the general PO in Nigeria to stop the delivery, but not to hold her breath basically. Anyone else have any suggestions, as to what she might do?

Cheers Jimmie O'

seand
09/09/2008, 1:27 PM
You're screwed basically. Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago. If selling on ebay don't send anything until you've received payment

Mr A
09/09/2008, 3:03 PM
Maybe time to post a letter bomb to the same address?

jebus
09/09/2008, 3:45 PM
write a letter to the Daily Mail, ask them to start a campaign to bomb Nigeria, 50/50 chance the thief will be killed in said bombings

Red&White Rover
09/09/2008, 9:04 PM
Interesting how the mobile changed to a watch during it's transit too.

Must be expensive.

anto1208
10/09/2008, 1:55 PM
Interesting how the mobile changed to a watch during it's transit too.

Must be expensive.

Poor nigerian bought a mobile in good faith and then all that arrives is a watch, those irish are dodgy

beautifulrock
10/09/2008, 1:56 PM
nigeria, fraud, ebay, watch, phone all in the one post. Who would have thought it!! Easy in hindsight but you need to be very careful on Ebay, use only those with a significant feedback count, paypal only and keep your eyes peeled.

andrew1977
10/09/2008, 3:10 PM
Thats a well know scam that has been doing the rounds for years.

anto1208
10/09/2008, 4:17 PM
There is also one where the buyer will pay you, then you post the stuff it arrives and he rings up pay pal tells them it never arrived and they take the money back off you so he gets the money and your stuff.

There was a girl on the radio about it recently.

gilberto_eire
11/09/2008, 1:59 AM
I only started using eBay lately(but only for buying) and i'd be paranoid with dealing with individual members for reasons like this. I've stuck to buying off the ''companys'' using the site(lowest feedback i've seen was very high 90's with these types) they give the best value anyway.

In the last two weeks i've picked up a new MP4 for €60(valued at €105 in Argos), an Ireland away rugby jersey for €25 and a Werder Bremen jersey for €30(all including delivery) and i found a fella selling jerseys who'll lower the price for 3 jersies(name and number for free) for €85(delivered)... going to order three tomorrow.........wish i started using this site ages ago :D