PDA

View Full Version : More matches on Monday

ger121
23/09/2003, 12:54 PM
Does anyone else think they should play more games on a monday?? There was no Premier league on last night to compete with the games, so attendances were a bit higher.

It also got a lot more coverage in the papers today, even in the Irish Independant.

Sky seem to have gone away a bit from Monday night football and because a lot of the top teams are playing cl games on tues/wed, they tend to show "lesser games on a monday night.Therefore the papers are more inclined to give better coverage on a tuesday which was shown today.

It can only give the el league more coverage coz even the barstoolers need some sport injection on a tuesday morning:D

Bluebeard
24/09/2003, 12:45 PM
Ask again in a month's time. I don't feel too happy about Monday games right now. I would imagine a lot of us who have to travel a good length for them wouldn't be huge on them either. For a minor Derby, perhaps (Bohs v UCD, Longford v Athlone, Blues v Kilkenny, that kind of thing), but for a major derby, or any kind of distance travelling, like Pats v Shels or Cork v Derry, it would be a bit much,

And before you ask, yes I am bitter about Monday.

Harrumph!:mad:

The Donie Forde
24/09/2003, 12:48 PM
Just heard from CCFC that the City v Shels game originally scheduled for Tues 14 October has been brought forward 24 hours to Monday 13 October withe the usual 7.45pm KO.

Donie

Dodge
24/09/2003, 12:48 PM
I'm all for Mondays (It has been pats midweek game for a while now) NOBODY has anything else to do on mondays so the casual fans are tempted. Most junior teams train tuesday and Thursday so they are Ok. We've no Champions league/UEFA/Uk football to deal with.

Makes sense to me...

paudie
24/09/2003, 1:06 PM
Makes it a lot more awkward for away fans though.

I wouldn't fancy getting back to Cork from Dublin at 2am and then going to work.

Monday is a good alternative to Tuesday or Wednesday games but not to Friday or Saturday games.

Dodge
24/09/2003, 1:19 PM
Originally posted by paudie
Makes it a lot more awkward for away fans though.

I wouldn't fancy getting back to Cork from Dublin at 2am and then going to work.

Monday is a good alternative to Tuesday or Wednesday games but not to Friday or Saturday games.
Yeah should have clarified that. Only as a midweek option

pete
24/09/2003, 1:25 PM
Weekend matches on thursdays & midweek games on mondays. Only in the eL?

:rolleyes:

Dodge
24/09/2003, 2:12 PM
Well traditionally weekend game were Sunday and midweek games were Wednesday

If you accept Friday as the weekend day, Monday is the natural choice for midweek

Fûck Thursdays...

Macy
24/09/2003, 2:25 PM
See Arse and the Barcodes are playing tomorrow night.... Is the sky trend away from Mondays towards Fridays? Major problem if they are.....

ger121
24/09/2003, 2:30 PM
was reading today that the season might have to be extended due to a backlog of fixtures. That's why I think they should have more monday night games.

Good point about the away supporters though, however you could have Dublin teams, Longford and Drogheda involved as they are close enough to each other.

Who does much on a monday anyway?? Nice way to start the week with a match on Monday. Can set you up for the week(or make you miserable:D )

Dodge
24/09/2003, 3:08 PM
Originally posted by Macy
See Arse and the Barcodes are playing tomorrow night.... Is the sky trend away from Mondays towards Fridays? Major problem if they are.....
Can't see it being a major shift. Teams in CL won't play on a Sunday so sky has to get them in somewhere Friday does the job this week but after that they'll be playing on Tues/Wed so it'll be back to Wolves v Bolton on a Monday and Man U/Arsenal on saturday mornings

dortie
25/09/2003, 6:27 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
Well traditionally weekend game were Sunday and midweek games were Wednesday

If you accept Friday as the weekend day, Monday is the natural choice for midweek

Fûck Thursdays...

How in under Jasus is Monday better than Thursday ?? Would you fancy travelling to Derry on a monday night ? First away match I couldnt make in ages was last monday...Pats v Derry

Dodge
25/09/2003, 8:46 AM
Read that again.

Thursday is your weekend day (ahead of the better options Friday, Saturday and Sunday)

Monday is our midweek option (ahead of Tuesday and Wednesday)

Now can you not see the difference there?

(BTW we are playing you up there on a Tuesday and yeah I'll be there)

Schumi
25/09/2003, 9:38 AM
What day midweek games are on doesn't bother me, they're all equally awkward for travel. Maybe midweek games should be mostly local games to cut down on excessive midweek travel?

ger121
30/09/2003, 3:46 PM
Well I think last night proved yet again that Monday night is becoming a good night for el football in Dublin. The reasons being

It was a top of the table clash.

A large crowd at the game, close to 5000.

No competition from Sky or other sports.

Good coverage in todays papers as little or no other football last night.

Maybe for next season the FAI or the clubs could look into having more fixtures on Monday nights starting earlier in the season, As the weather is good, nights are longer and the Premier League will not have started.

Anyway what do other people think.

MariborKev
30/09/2003, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by dortie
First away match I couldnt make in ages was last monday...Pats v Derry

Eh? You've missed three out of the last four:D

pete
30/09/2003, 5:33 PM
Originally posted by ger121
Maybe for next season the FAI or the clubs could look into having more fixtures on Monday nights starting earlier in the season, As the weather is good, nights are longer and the Premier League will not have started.

Its fine for dub derbys but not good for other matches. Don't think any need for during the summer but obviously an option during the Sky/CL season.

Macy
01/10/2003, 8:15 AM
For midweek games I don't necessarily see a problem, but not for the weekend games - which should always be one of Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

dortie
01/10/2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Maribor
Eh? You've missed three out of the last four:D

Talking rubbish as usual Maribor now get back to your text-books