PDA

View Full Version : What genre?

paul_oshea
03/09/2008, 12:58 PM
would you put the following in, i dont think easy listening, easy rock, easy listening rock is right. but the songs all give the same feelings when listening. there must be some punk wog journo out there who has termed this anyhow here goes:

soul asylum runaway train
soul asylum black gold
the connells 74/75
crash test dummies - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmm maaybe mmmmmm
ugly kid joe - cats and the cradle
baz luhrman possibly.

i thin kyou could make one of those cds and people would buy the cd etc...

jebus
03/09/2008, 2:12 PM
Crap Rock?

I like some of thise songs but crap rock is about all I can think of to be fair

Pauro 76
03/09/2008, 2:26 PM
90's retro.... Is there a style of music that hasnt been categorised for compilation albums though?

noby
03/09/2008, 2:47 PM
Baz Luhrmann is just a one-hit-wonder really, but you could probably lump them all under an alternative pop/rock / college rock umbrella.

Crap rock has a better ring to it alright.

superfrank
03/09/2008, 3:08 PM
Soft-grunge?

Magicme
03/09/2008, 3:36 PM
Songs to avoid unless you want to kill the singer??

stann
03/09/2008, 6:13 PM
Sorry MM seem to be following you around today! :D

Anyway, Crap Rock sounds good to me, if a little too all-encompassing.
Other terms might possibly include:

- Wet Rock (my favourite, though also not specific enough I feel),
- TER - as in AOR but standing for Tediously Earnest Rock,
- Invertebrate Grunge.

I do like the Connells' tune though. :)

Pauro 76
04/09/2008, 7:24 AM
Now That's What I Call 90's Nostalgia Retro Stuff That's Not Quite Rock But Somehow Aspires To Be.

Macy
04/09/2008, 9:57 AM
Coffee Table Rock?

paul_oshea
04/09/2008, 10:29 AM
suck my ccok rock?

paul_oshea
04/09/2008, 10:30 AM
soft grunge wouldn't cover them all really.

Lionel Ritchie
04/09/2008, 11:17 AM
Wuss-rock??

I think we have a winner. :D

Other notable purveyors of 90's wuss rock would be The Spin Doctors, Deep Blue Something, Goo-Goo Dolls (STILL can't believe they've a greatest hits album!!:D) and Counting Crows.

They were a logical development of the 1980's phenomenon of session musicians with ill-advised haircuts forming bands to churn out bland-as-you-like musical chewing gum. These, the proto-Wuss rockers if you will, include the likes of Mr. Mister, Cutting Crew (I think they might've spelt crew with a K ...the mad b@stards!!!), Then Jericho, It Bites and Glass Tiger.

...of course their legacy has been carried on into the noughties by an absolute legion. But I don't know who any of them are as I stopped laughing and cried 'Aw here' in utter despair some years ago.

Magicme
04/09/2008, 11:18 AM
suck my ccok rock?

Is that not all rock? Dam I have been badly misled!

Pauro 76
04/09/2008, 11:43 AM
Schlock rock?

paul_oshea
04/09/2008, 12:06 PM
Is that not all rock? Dam I have been badly misled!

but have ye enjoyed being misled ;)

Magicme
04/09/2008, 1:26 PM
but have ye enjoyed being misled ;)

no comment

MysticMon
04/09/2008, 1:34 PM
no comment

HeeHee

tetsujin1979
04/09/2008, 2:51 PM
flock rock?
as in follow-the?

sadloserkid
18/09/2008, 11:30 AM
Crash Test Dummies are genuinely alternative (in the actual sense of the word as opposed to sounding a little like Pearl Jam). They are also fairly terrible if the album that spawned 'Mmmm mmmm mmmm' is anything to go by. It's title is something to do with spoons I think. Hold on...

*slk checks his collection*

'God Shuffled His Feet'. Never mind. One of the song titles references spoons.

Ugly Kid Joe are just a cartoon metal band. Fairly forgettable. Certainly not to be mentioned in the same vein as the mighty, criminally under-rated Soul Asylum.

The Soul Asylum stuff you mentioned is when they started to abandon their garage-country-punk roots in favour of more acoustic stuff (apparantly their singer David Pirner, Winona Ryder's ex in his brief dalliance with fame,thought he was going deaf). Their growing up stuff basically when they started to get bored with walls of distortion (though imo there's always a place etc etc). Much like any of the recent Goo Goo Dolls stuff really(they've been around since the mid 80's Lionel Ritchie and sounded very different back then! :D).

Other bands who belong on your awesome sounding compilation Paul would include Sugar, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Everclear, Blessid Union of Soul, They Might Be Giants, Violent Femmes, Gin Blossoms, some of the early Jimmy Eat World stuff and what not. Toss on some British stuff like 3 Colours Red and Symposium and Gene and James while you're at it. And while it will offend the musos here The Pixies belong very firmly on that list too, either 'Debaser' or, more likely, 'Here Comes Your Man'.

I'd suggest calling it Dar Rock after me. :)

Failing that it's basically college rock.

paul_oshea
22/09/2008, 1:45 PM
ya never quite understood why soul aslyum were never big. Savage tunes through the years. Did a great cover of sexual healing as well on a compilation cd i bought to get VCV by Nirvana. Misery is another good song of theirs.