PDA

View Full Version : LOI Club Merchandise

gufcfan
03/09/2008, 7:54 AM
How does your club market it's merchandise?

Do they have a big range?

Do they make any money out of it?

Teams such as Connacht Rugby seem to have created a brand for themselves, amazing to think that they nearly went out of existence not so long ago.

Do you think clubs push their merchandise sufficiently?

Does your club have a shop separate to the one in it's ground?

Titan
03/09/2008, 9:59 AM
The whole merchandiseing of most clubs in the league is about to be revolutionised!

Watch this space;)

Dodge
03/09/2008, 10:19 AM
The whole merchandiseing of most clubs in the league is about to be revolutionised!

Watch this space;)

No, sorry, we'll need more than that. PM if neccessary

sligoman
03/09/2008, 12:00 PM

Watch this space;)Is this to do with the whole "the mood is about to change" slogan? They better not change club's crest as is rumoured.

Titan
03/09/2008, 12:19 PM
Is this to do with the whole "the mood is about to change" slogan? They better not change club's crest as is rumoured.

Dont know anything about that slogan but Pride is definetely forever!

Dodge
03/09/2008, 12:29 PM
Is this to do with the whole "the mood is about to change" slogan? They better not change club's crest as is rumoured.

How out of touch am I? Don't know anything about the slogan or any rumoured crest changes...

Help appreciated

pineapple stu
03/09/2008, 12:39 PM
They better not change club's crest as is rumoured.
They can change our crest!

sligoman
03/09/2008, 12:44 PM
How out of touch am I? Don't know anything about the slogan or any rumoured crest changes...

Help appreciatedThere's advertising posters around Sligo with "SRFC The mood is about to change (http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1930/srfczb5.png)" on them. This is being run by the FAI and they're rumoured to be changing crests.

Dodge
03/09/2008, 12:50 PM
Can't check that imagehost. Slogan isn't bad (for Sligo in current circumstances)

OneRedArmy
03/09/2008, 3:37 PM
I thought Platinum One had the monopoly on franchise football?

(though they can change Derry's crest all they want, the current one is pants)

Mad Moose
03/09/2008, 4:15 PM
There's advertising posters around Sligo with "SRFC The mood is about to change (http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1930/srfczb5.png)" on them. This is being run by the FAI and they're rumoured to be changing crests.

Sligo Rovers are looking at using your one Sligoman. Thats a fine crest ya chose.:)

Dodge
03/09/2008, 4:20 PM
I thought Platinum One had the monopoly on franchise football?
Nah, Cork are still about (for the time being)

Sniffer
03/09/2008, 4:41 PM
I read in Sean Ryan's piece in last Sunday's Indo that it cost Cork €30k - I think - to change their crest. Surely neither Sligo nor the FAI have that kind of money to waste?

Dodge
03/09/2008, 4:49 PM
I read in Sean Ryan's piece in last Sunday's Indo that it cost Cork €30k - I think - to change their crest. Surely neither Sligo nor the FAI have that kind of money to waste?

I'd imagine in Cork's case it was because Arkaga couldn't get the rights to the original one. And if you don't own the rights to it, you can't make as much money from it. Thats why Pats (and Liverpool) changed theirs a few years ago

superfrank
03/09/2008, 4:52 PM
How does your club market it's merchandise?
Not very well, just an occassional mention over the PA during matches.

Do they have a big range?
No, some jerseys, some jackets, scarves, a few books and keyrings.

Do they make any money out of it?
I'd be surprised. However, it's run by the SC and they are in a healthy financial position.

Do you think clubs push their merchandise sufficiently?
No.

Does your club have a shop separate to the one in it's ground?
No. :(

Sniffer
03/09/2008, 4:59 PM
Again citing Sean Ryan's piece; he claims Cork sold the most replica jerseys, followed by WEXFORD YOUTHS. Maybe it's got something to do with the pink shirt! Maybe it highlights the inadequacies of other clubs' efforts at marketing this stuff

superfrank
03/09/2008, 5:01 PM
Maybe it highlights the inadequacies of other clubs' efforts at marketing this stuff
Dublin City had the best deal ever. Selling their jerseys as souvenirs in Carrolls. Genius.

I think they were the actual top selling jerseys in the el at the time but people get snotty about it.

Dodge
03/09/2008, 5:07 PM
I think they were the actual top selling jerseys in the el at the time but people get snotty about it.

Still waiting to see those figures... (and even at that Dublin City admitted they didn't get a penny form the jersies sold (bar the sponsorship from Carrolls))

Infact I'd like to see where Sean Ryan got his figures too. My guess is out of the air...

OneRedArmy
03/09/2008, 5:10 PM
I think they were the actual top selling jerseys in the el at the time was that before or after Socrates played for UCD?

stamullendrog
03/09/2008, 5:30 PM
the franchise( :eek: ) on the drogheda gear changed over around the end of last year and i have to say theres a far better selection.all the kits(complete)training gear,hoodies,polo shirts,t shirts etc etc even down to mugs key rings lanyards etc etc.the guy running it also sells non drogheda united drogheda stuff like pictures of the town and that kind of stuff.its right beside the foot bridge across to scotch hall so its in a good spot.he also sells stuff out of a hut on match nights.

Youths4Ever
03/09/2008, 7:12 PM
Again citing Sean Ryan's piece; he claims Cork sold the most replica jerseys, followed by WEXFORD YOUTHS. Maybe it's got something to do with the pink shirt! Maybe it highlights the inadequacies of other clubs' efforts at marketing this stuff

It probably was the pink shirts cant keep them in stock :p
also have to consider as new club no one had jerseys up to last year so a lot of first time purchases that will die off so it will probably level off.

Bohemian1890
03/09/2008, 8:38 PM
Apparently Cork sold the most jerseys last year followed by Wexford Youths who the Indo said sold 57k worth of Jerseys.

Ringo
03/09/2008, 8:54 PM
Apparently Cork sold the most jerseys last year followed by Wexford Youths who the Indo said sold 57k worth of Jerseys.

Thats only 1000 jerseys?

micls
03/09/2008, 10:32 PM
Thats only 1000 jerseys?

Only? Do they even have 1000fans?

gufcfan
03/09/2008, 11:08 PM
Thats only 1000 jerseys?

The price that clubs charge isn't pure profit. The cost of making them for one would have to be subtracted from that, then you have to think of the marketing that is involved. They also have a shop in the city which I'm sure doesn't come cheap. I know I'm stating the obvious, but a little perspective is needed.

gufcfan
03/09/2008, 11:10 PM
also have to consider as new club no one had jerseys up to last year so a lot of first time purchases that will die off so it will probably level off.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Ringo
04/09/2008, 6:45 AM
The price that clubs charge isn't pure profit. The cost of making them for one would have to be subtracted from that, then you have to think of the marketing that is involved. They also have a shop in the city which I'm sure doesn't come cheap. I know I'm stating the obvious, but a little perspective is needed.

I was presuming the €57,000 was turnover.

pineapple stu
04/09/2008, 12:54 PM
That's what it seems to say alright.

1000 jerseys would still be a fair few for an eL club in one year.

superfrank
04/09/2008, 12:59 PM
Especially when the GAA is on the rise there too.

Dodge
04/09/2008, 1:18 PM
Especially when the GAA is on the rise there too.

Wouldn't the hurling jersies do the same job?

superfrank
04/09/2008, 1:19 PM
Yeah but there's probably a whole generation since the hurling team's last success.

oldyouth
04/09/2008, 3:31 PM
Only? Do they even have 1000fans?
I've got 2 shirts, as do both my sons, her indoors is waiting on new supplies to come in. It can be done.
Do 'sales' to clubs for players kit (not match day) go down as sales???

oldyouth
04/09/2008, 3:37 PM
??????? Wexford Youths is a CLUB, not a representitive County team. Different colours, different World

the-blue-harp
04/09/2008, 3:39 PM
??????? Wexford Youths is a CLUB, not a representitive County team. Different colours, different World

i think he was talking about the wexford gaelic football jerseys being the same as the hurling jerseys
nothing to do with wexford youths fc.

Dodge
04/09/2008, 3:49 PM
i think he was talking about the wexford gaelic football jerseys being the same as the hurling jerseys
nothing to do with wexford youths fc.

I was. I'm not a fan or either sport but have a friend from Rosslare Harbour. I had this idea that Wexford hurlers are generally good. When Frank talked about the upswing on sales in GAelic Football jersies, I asked wouldn't people already have them because of the hurlers.

For the record I love to see clubs like Longford, Cork and Wexford NOT use the GAA colours.

Apologies for the confusion oldyouths

red bellied
04/09/2008, 3:58 PM
Who else uses Gaa colours besides Galway? I know Longfords second shirt is the same as the county team.

the-blue-harp
04/09/2008, 4:05 PM
Who else uses Gaa colours besides Galway? I know Longfords second shirt is the same as the county team.

what is londfords gaa colours? never seen them play?!:p

derry city is the same as the county as well red and white.
ucd largely use the dublin county colours
waterford, blue and white.

oldyouth
04/09/2008, 4:06 PM
I was. I'm not a fan or either sport but have a friend from Rosslare Harbour. I had this idea that Wexford hurlers are generally good. When Frank talked about the upswing on sales in GAelic Football jersies, I asked wouldn't people already have them because of the hurlers.

For the record I love to see clubs like Longford, Cork and Wexford NOT use the GAA colours.

Apologies for the confusion oldyouths
No, my apologies. A red mist descends when I see the Youths and GAA in the same sentence and logic goes out the window. Just as well I saw it before the enevitable effects of Thirsty Thursday take hold.

pineapple stu
04/09/2008, 4:07 PM
Longford are blue and yellow; it's their away colours. They modelled their home kit on Bohs.

Magicme
04/09/2008, 4:08 PM

Watch this space;)

I know what your talking about!! It will be great. Cant wait.

Sligoman, relax, I doubt thats what is going on up there.

Oh and Monaghan United are kinda Gaelic colours too but the jersey is nothing like the GAA one.

the-blue-harp
04/09/2008, 4:10 PM
has the fai got a deal with some big sports chain to have all the irish club jerseys stocked in them or what?

Bohemian1890
04/09/2008, 7:35 PM
Longford are blue and yellow; it's their away colours. They modelled their home kit on Bohs.

Bohs gave Longford their first kit didnt they??

ForzaWexford
04/09/2008, 7:53 PM

I'm gonna guess that the FAI will sell merchandise on behalf of all 22 clubs on their website. Or a new website.

Keen2win
04/09/2008, 7:54 PM
Can't remember, it was a while back.;)

Ah no, thats how the roumer goes anyway.

diamond
04/09/2008, 8:23 PM
drogs have the best set up i'd say, high profile shop in great location. sells loads of great gear and i'd be surprised if drogs dont sell most jerseys in league judging by the amount you see on streets. if half the people with jersey showed up on friday night would almost fill new stadium (if there was one!)