PDA

View Full Version : Kildare County 1 Limerick 1

Estar
21/09/2003, 12:26 PM
What an incredible game, both teams were a credit to their clubs in the fog at Station Road. Every ball was competed for in great spirit. County looked the better side through out, but the Limerick centre of defence were in sensational form.

Limerick scored from a set play (the only way they were going to score in the second half).As usual away teams played with one up front. We really missed Shay and Marc to break down these rock like defences.

What tipified Kildares game was their never say die spirit, they played to the final second. O'Leary produced a Schmeichel style effort for the goal, their must have been 20 players in the box. What a power header from Philly.

Man of the Match Purcell or Finnucane Limerick FC

Best for Kildare Danny O'Leary(this lad never gives up) and Peter Rodgers.

KILDARE COUNTY 1

LIMERICK 1

KILDARE somehow found themselves with an unlikely point after a last ditch equaliser against Limerick last night.

The Shannonsiders had much the better of a dull opening period that was severely lacking in chances. Stephen O'Flynn went agonisingly close on a couple of occasions. The first came nine minutes in as he bent a close range free into the side netting; 25 minutes later he hit the same spot, after a clever one-two with Ross Cosgrove.

The game woke from its dismal slumber in the 70th minute. Brendan Sweeney had an effort well parried by O'Leary, while Philip Hughes had an effort cleared off the line by Heffernan.

With a quarter of an hour to go, the deadlock was finally broken as Pat Purcell headed home a Shane O'Donoghue free, but right at the death Philip Hughes bundled in Damien Brennan's long throw. County travel to Monaghan on Tuesday where a win will send them to poll position.

Kildare County: O'Leary, Brennan, Cronin, Whelehan, Kenny, Rogers, McNevin, Scully (Britton 82), Hughes, O'Connor, Kelly (Ryan 76).

Limerick: Healy, Sugrue, Molan, Finnucane, Purcell, Sweeney, O'Donoghue, Cosgrove, O'Flynn, McCarthy, Heffernan.

Referee: Tom Connelly (Dublin)

Have to say the way the match was reffed led to a great match in which every player on the park gave 100%.

A face
21/09/2003, 9:28 PM
Late equaliser for County

Kildare County 1-1 Limerick FC
Phillip Hughes scored a last gasp injury-time equaliser against Limerick to ensure that Kildare County’s promotion hopes remained on track at Station Road on Saturday night, September 20.

The Thoroughbreds are now two points off joint table toppers Bray Wanderers and Dublin City, but they also have a game in hand. However, they appeared to be heading for certain defeat on Saturday night after Pat Purcell’s 75th minute goal fired Limerick in front.

Cash strapped Limerick have defied all the odds this season, and a shock was undoubtedly on the cards against Kildare. However, roared on by the vocal home support, Kildare pushed forward in search of the equaliser.

Their perseverance was rewarded in the third minute of injury-time, when Hughes dramatically netted a goal that could yet prove to be one of the most important of Kildare’s season.

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/story.asp?newsid=7662)

Countyman
22/09/2003, 10:10 AM
I thought Limerick were the better team on the night and deserved all 3 points. Having said that I'm delighted for the late equaliser but our "fight" didnt materialise until we were 1 down.
Thats not good enough and as the home team we should be pummelling teams from the start.

County home and away are definately 2 different beasts.

Estar
22/09/2003, 1:26 PM
Originally posted by Countyman
I thought Limerick were the better team on the night and deserved all 3 points. Having said that I'm delighted for the late equaliser but our "fight" didnt materialise until we were 1 down.
Thats not good enough and as the home team we should be pummelling teams from the start.

County home and away are definately 2 different beasts.

Limerick had the better first half,but were second best after half time.
The way I look at it County played well below their normal game, Limerick played well above theirs (apart from their striker, who was left with too much work to do). Have a look at Limericks away form. Eric made some good points in the Irish Sun today, basicly the Lims were lucky to score, they as every team does sat back as we pushed on even more in the second half. When we went all out attack they just had no answer. Any chance of us signing the center backs, at least they will get paid every week;)

sadloserkid
24/09/2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Estar
Any chance of us signing the center backs, at least they will get paid every week;)

You've already tried once (and failed) to sign Paddy Purcell. ;)

gael353
24/09/2003, 1:21 PM
we play a 4 4 2 and i assure you we play with two strikers Stev O'Flynn and Derick McCarthy. It took ye 42 mins to have a shot on our goal. Second half more of the same, now the last 10 mins were ye'res but please the whole half???? if Limerick were crap i'd say it but they wern't and this idea of "playing above themselves" please give over your not working for RTE are you? and a dour game as reported in a lot of the Dubland papers, dour if you were from Kildare!!! We dont hoofe the ball wouldn't know how, and before you say it a clearence by a central defender is not a hoofe up the field which you have to say ye resorted to as any team would when there chasing a game. But fair play ye got the draw and we'll see ye on the last game of the season in the Pike! my god what if we catch ye by then, could Kildare get their first win over Limerick in the league or will Limerick continue there fantastic record against the Lillies? we shall wait and see.

Estar
24/09/2003, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by gael353
we play a 4 4 2 .

"playing above themselves" please give over your not working for RTE are you?

We dont hoofe the ball wouldn't know how, and before you say it a clearence by a central defender is not a hoofe up the field which you have to say ye resorted to as any team would when there chasing a game.

my god what if we catch ye by then, could Kildare get their first win over Limerick in the league or will Limerick continue there fantastic record against the Lillies? we shall wait and see.

More a 4 3 2 1 :D Dundalk and Cobh played more on the ground and attacked much more, but still lost. Limerick defended much better.

I was trying to make the point Limerick have a poor record away from home.

I enjoyed the game. You have to say the defenders created the most of the attacking chances in the first half. Still I've seen a lot worse than Saturday hoofing wise (It's within the rules). You don't get time in this division unless your Marc Kenny;)

If we win the league or not is in our own hands and we can't point the finger at anyone but ourselves if we fail.

It would be nice if both teams had something to play for at the Pike.

You should take my match comments with a pinch of salt, they are not written in stone.

;)

Countyman
24/09/2003, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by gael353
... or will Limerick continue there fantastic record against the Lillies? we shall wait and see.

Goddammit man we are THE THOROUGHBREDS!!!!! not the Lilies..someone somewhere put in a lot of time thinking up that nickname :p

btw I was talking to you last saturday night at the flags after the game. I was the one who said we were lucky !! and then you go and call us hoofers ..tut tut..I wont be so friendly in the Pike :p

sadloserkid
25/09/2003, 12:55 PM
I thought Dundalk were the Lilies??? :confused: