PDA

View Full Version : Paul Cook?

SRFCbrothelutd
02/09/2008, 11:00 AM
Lads, i heard over the wkd the cook was quoted in some cicrles locally that the present budget of the club is 7K a week and said he will not be managing Sligo Rovers next season unless he's given a budget of 15k a week and thats only so we have a chance to compete.... Surely we cant let this great man & coach go we must do all we can to keep him! He loves it here and wants Sligo Rovers to be a success. He has a real affinity with the club now and imo arguably the best manager we,ve ever had, the way he has the lads playing etc....

LETS START A CAMPAIGN TO KEEP PAUL COOK....

Thoughs & suggestions please???

deecay
02/09/2008, 7:15 PM
He said he's stick around if finances become available,he's the best manager ive seen in my lifetime supporting Rovers but I think he will move on,he is quality

Red&White Rover
02/09/2008, 8:43 PM
To be fair, the man whther he goes or stays, I recko, will always be a legend.

Sexy football, makes players play with heart and above all he is honest. What more could we want apart from a trophy? (Which would come if he stuck around...)

Inside Man
02/09/2008, 10:07 PM
Lads, i heard over the wkd the cook was quoted in some cicrles locally that the present budget of the club is 7K a week and said he will not be managing Sligo Rovers next season unless he's given a budget of 15k a week and thats only so we have a chance to compete.... Surely we cant let this great man & coach go we must do all we can to keep him! He loves it here and wants Sligo Rovers to be a success. He has a real affinity with the club now and imo arguably the best manager we,ve ever had, the way he has the lads playing etc....

Thoughs & suggestions please???

Fact is we don't have the money to keep him.
He is dead right to move on. His career is going no place at this club any longer.
If we want a Sligo Rovers in the future then there is no way we will just up the budget to keep a manager, after all that has happened this year I think Rovers have learned their lesson and keeping Sligo Rovers alive is way more important than going searching for glory.
We can do all we want to try and get Cook to stay but it just wont happen. Just try and enjoy his football while he is here.

sligoman
03/09/2008, 1:56 AM
Paul Cook is the best manager in the league and would easily win the league if given the budget of the likes of Pat's, Drogs or Bohs imho. I honestly don't think we can afford to keep him unless serious investment comes in, which is unlikely.

avvenalaf
03/09/2008, 12:26 PM
Sorry to pee on the parade, lads, but much as I admire Paul as a man, he is hardly in the Fenlon/Kenny league as far as tactics go. His insistence on playing a right footed player at left back got us knocked out of the cup in each of the last two seasons. Best Manager ever? I think not. Try Sinclair or McStay who actually delivered silverware while playing great football.

pineapple stu
03/09/2008, 12:41 PM
Lads, i heard over the wkd the cook was quoted in some cicrles locally that the present budget of the club is 7K a week and said he will not be managing Sligo Rovers next season unless he's given a budget of 15k a week and thats only so we have a chance to compete....

Let me check I've got this right - your board is talking about the club going to the wall because you're spending too much, but you reckon you should start a campaign to double the budget to keep the manager who has you in mid-table (a respectable position for you, but nothing that's going to earn the outlay you require)?

Are you all there mentally? It's hard to tell.

Rovers1
03/09/2008, 2:11 PM
Cant see him staying tbh :( he wants a decent wage budget to work with and if we go at all part time he's going. And we will HAVE to go at least partially part time next year.

BTW: Thanks for your input Stu ;)

deecay
03/09/2008, 2:27 PM
Try Sinclair or McStay who actually delivered silverware while playing great football.
McStay had a team of quality professional's.I would win the 1st Div with that team,Rovers were a confident winning team and they used that on their cup run and then the final.I wasnt around in Sinclairs time

pineapple stu
03/09/2008, 2:35 PM
BTW: Thanks for your input Stu ;)
Welcome. Said it's been a while. ;)

Rovers1
03/09/2008, 2:44 PM
Welcome. Said it's been a while. ;)

sure has, im calvin at the prospect of The Bowl on the 19th :ball:, quality stuff

RedRebel32
03/09/2008, 2:50 PM
Sorry to pee on the parade, lads, but much as I admire Paul as a man, he is hardly in the Fenlon/Kenny league as far as tactics go. His insistence on playing a right footed player at left back got us knocked out of the cup in each of the last two seasons. Best Manager ever? I think not. Try Sinclair or McStay who actually delivered silverware while playing great football.

yes and if he had decent funds we would have quality all over whats your point.danny did very well when playing there imo.
anyways look at who paul brought into left full,i wouldnt swap butler for any left back in the league

dublinred
03/09/2008, 3:00 PM
I rate him highly and will be surprised if he doesn't suceed at a higher level but lets not forget the 2 big mistakes he made this year which had a big outcome on how the season panned out , the first was to start jennings in the cup match against shams the second mistake was to leave him on the pitch when everyone in the ground could see where things were going after about 10mins.

RedRebel32
03/09/2008, 3:06 PM
I rate him highly and will be surprised if he doesn't suceed at a higher level but lets not forget the 2 big mistakes he made this year which had a big outcome on how the season panned out , the first was to start jennings in the cup match against shams the second mistake was to leave him on the pitch when everyone in the ground could see where things were going after about 10mins.

problem was, if he took him off what kind of a blow to his confidence would it be.be massive.cooky was just being a good manager protecting his players,he is very defensive when speaking of jennings,im sure he knows he's had a bad time here between the sticks a blind man could see that,but what if brushy gets injured and cook had said publicly he doesnt rate jennings?

personally i think time will tell how good cook is as a manager, so far we haven't achieved great things but he certainly has us playing lovely football.boco,butler, quality signings in fairness and with the proper funds we could easily be in 2nd place this year if not first.

sligored
03/09/2008, 3:31 PM
Let me check I've got this right - your board is talking about the club going to the wall because you're spending too much, but you reckon you should start a campaign to double the budget to keep the manager who has you in mid-table (a respectable position for you, but nothing that's going to earn the outlay you require)?

Are you all there mentally? It's hard to tell.

aim high and see what happens. we have to budget properly for next year and try and get real fans(not the 4 like ucd have) to support our club.

the standard of football played by sligo rovers this year has never been seen before in my time and i have been following rovers for 28 years.

we are not going to settle for avoiding relegation each year (like ucd do by strangling good football)

i hope ye enjoy football in the graveyard next season and the premier league would be a better place with galway harps or cobh ahead of ucd.

as for us being mentally challenged , you would have to be to be a real rovers fan.

pineapple stu
03/09/2008, 4:04 PM
aim high and see what happens.
You end up at death's door having bucket collections to keep you alive?

celticV3
03/09/2008, 4:52 PM

Can i ask why your giving your opinion to a question that is aimed at sligo rovers fans, in the sligo rovers section? move along young fella.

I think paul is a decent manager and a top man off the pitch but i don't think we can keep him because the money he needs for us in this moment in time is too high, unfortunatly.

avvenalaf
03/09/2008, 5:34 PM
All Paul Cook is doing at the moment - and fair play to him for it - is advertising the fact that he is available. Nice job coming up at Drogheda.

Rovers Maniac
03/09/2008, 5:48 PM
Lads jesus there is a lot to be said for being happy in a place which Cook is. As for Drogs i would be amazed if they continue to exist as the big money spenders in the league next year, the stadium not having the go ahead could well mean the investors could be of and they will return to being a yo yo club and there is a lot of rumors of just that with Hoey and his mates about to pull the plug. Also if you think Shams are about to start splashing the cash you are wrong they will be a part-time club next year as their board have an obligation to the Shams fans not to act recklessly like their predecessors and as well as that Scully has turned the ship around up there.

Rovers1
03/09/2008, 5:56 PM
dont think Cook would go to another Irish club imo

avvenalaf
03/09/2008, 9:44 PM
Er, why not?

Rovers1
03/09/2008, 10:23 PM
Er, why not?

well, call me a dreamer but...

i just get the feeling Paul appreciates what SRFC have done for him, giving him a chance, when other clubs would not have even looked at him,and he doesnt wan to stab us in the back ala SC. Plus he told us after the Pats game he didnt want to go to another Irish club.

Redie
04/09/2008, 1:22 PM

All Paul Cook is doing at the moment - and fair play to him for it - is advertising the fact that he is available. Nice job coming up at Drogheda.

avvenalaf I think you are being very harsh and very disingenuous to Paul Cook.
There is no doubt that Paul made a number of mistakes during the course of the season but name me a manager that does not make mistakes. Cook is operating in a completely different environment to that of McStay and Sinclair in terms of competitiveness of the league and players wages.
He has comfortably kept us in the top division for two seasons during which time I have seen the most fantastic style of football played by players of the highest quality and with the greatest commitment that I - at the age of 44 - can remember.

I wish there was some way we could get the crowd on Friday night to let him know in no uncertain terms how much he is appreciated.

I also think that if there is any possibility of keeping him here next season no stone should be left unturned to do so.

MariborKev
04/09/2008, 2:53 PM

He was in the running for jobs here before he joined SRFC, I am sure he will be after he leaves as well.

galwayhoop
04/09/2008, 3:33 PM

unfortunately (for ye) I don't think that is true.

Cook is a top manager (and seems a top man too) and has ye playing good football. He would be well sought after in the league if/when vacancies come up.

His stock will only rise if he wins silverware or has a team playing in Europe - that would be the spring board to move back to England which I can only assume every manager in our league would have ambitions of.

Red&White Rover
04/09/2008, 5:42 PM

If we're throwing around unwanted and pointless opinions here, let me be the first to say, you've got a **** haircut.

Rovers fan
04/09/2008, 6:26 PM
If we're throwing around unwanted and pointless opinions here, let me be the first to say, you've got a **** haircut.

That's a bit harsh............to call your opinion unwanted and pointless;):D

Well Red
04/09/2008, 8:16 PM
Paul Cook,
I see many more away matches than home games because of where I live in the North East. I have nothing but admiration for our manager. he is a class act and please dont tell me that a manager in any line of work does not get it wrong occasionally while trying something different. All I hear from opposing fans is they would love to have Paul as manager, with the limited squad that we operate he still manages to produce one of the best footballing teams in the Premership. Whatever it takes we have to keep Paul but I am afraid it my be too late but for God sake lets all keep plugging away together.

Inside Man
04/09/2008, 8:53 PM
Whatever it takes we have to keep Paul

Thats exactly the kind of attitude that has got us in the situation we are in now:rolleyes:
Sorry to burst the bubble. Yes he was a good manager.
But in 2 years at the club we only won 1 game in a cup competition, which i always viewed to be a MAJOR downfall on his part, a cup run or at least 2-4 cup wins a year would probably mean we wouldn't be 130,000k down, and about to lose the very man who may have indirectly caused it. Now thats a different way of looking at it.
Also I somewhat agree with avvenalaf that in his time here Cook has made some woefull tactical mistakes. I know he young manager and learning and got us playing attractive football, but sometimes you have to learn to win ugly and thats maybe his flaw, and probably why he never made it with Southport in the conference.

Red&White Rover
04/09/2008, 9:46 PM
That's a bit harsh............to call your opinion unwanted and pointless;):D

Out of the coma so soon? ;)

Redie
05/09/2008, 8:55 AM
Also I somewhat agree with avvenalaf that in his time here Cooke has made some woefull tactical mistakes.

You could try to spell his name correctly if you are going to accuse him of making mistakes!!!

Rory H
05/09/2008, 11:21 AM

Is he not allowed make mistakes? He's only human. I can't think of any other manager who doesn't make mistakes. Someone brought up Fenlon and Kenny. Both great managers but they hardly have unblemished records. Cookie is the best manager in the country imo. In the majority of cases when 'outsiders' do well for Sligo Rovers it isn't long before they are looking to leave. He isn't, and he is the best manager available to us. We won't get anyone better. In an ideal world we could start fundraising now to try to put the club in a position to afford say, €14,000 a week, for next season. Can't see it happening because of we need this extra 130k figure for 'the rest of the season'.....