PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland Qualifiers

Pages : [1] 2

minty
02/09/2008, 9:45 AM
Are both of their matches away ya?what do people think of their chances of picking up some points?

shakermaker1982
02/09/2008, 9:53 AM
first game is away to Slovakia. They play the Czech's at home the following Wednesday.

Not Brazil
02/09/2008, 9:54 AM
Are both of their matches away ya?what do people think of their chances of picking up some points?

Slovakia away on Saturday, and the Czech Republic in Belfast next Wednesday night.

With our lot, it's difficult to predict results with any confidence - our away form is our achilles heel in major competition.

That said, I think we are a great price to score a victory in Slovakia (10/3), and I fancy a draw in Belfast next week.

ifk101
02/09/2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah NI away record is poor (like our own) but I think NI should be able to get a draw against Slovakia.

After NI's results in Windsor for the Euro qualifiers, I'm sure the Czechs will be happy to come away with a draw.

Hibs4Ever
02/09/2008, 10:22 AM
Can see the North losing both

Lionel Ritchie
02/09/2008, 10:33 AM
Could see them winning in Slovakia ...then bottling it against the Czechs in Belfast and losing.

minty
02/09/2008, 11:19 AM
Where can you watch the Slovakia game?What time is it starting?

seanfhear
02/09/2008, 11:57 AM
It will be interesting to see how Nigel Worthington gets on in his first full campaign.

shakermaker1982
02/09/2008, 12:03 PM
Where can you watch the Slovakia game?What time is it starting?

Setanta have it, pretty sure that is the case.

Not Brazil
02/09/2008, 1:35 PM
Setanta have it, pretty sure that is the case.

Yes, it is Setanta.

The game has a 4.30PM KO, our time.

boovidge
02/09/2008, 2:10 PM
I reckon they'll get beat by Slovakia and draw with the Czechs.

shakermaker1982
02/09/2008, 2:10 PM
I think the Norn Iron fans would be happy enough with 2 draws? I think you can beat anybody at home so 4 points is not out of the question. Good luck for the qualifiers! (The missus is from Tyrone so they are my joint second side with Ghana :) !!! )

drummerboy
02/09/2008, 2:12 PM
I can see both games ending in draws.

Not Brazil
02/09/2008, 4:44 PM
I think the Norn Iron fans would be happy enough with 2 draws? I think you can beat anybody at home so 4 points is not out of the question.

I would prefer a win and defeat over two draws shakermaker - more points.

I'd be delighted with 4 points from these two games, but, anything from 0 to 6 wouldn't surprise me.

We're an unpredictable team.

geysir
03/09/2008, 9:01 AM
I'd prefer Slovakia in our group in place of Cyprus.
They played better away against us and Wales than at home. They haven't played much since the Euro Qualifiers.
Ordinary teams like us and Wales have gone there and got varying results.

minty
03/09/2008, 2:45 PM
what time is the slovakian game kicking off at?

irishultra
03/09/2008, 9:28 PM
I would love to catch the Slovakian game, but I think Ireland are playing at same time.

I think 2-2 with Slovakia, although with Lafferty out, Healy will be less effective. They(Slovakia) are very unpredictable. They score tonnes of goals but also concede.

I think they can beat Czech Republic 'easily'....

Not Brazil
04/09/2008, 10:32 AM
what time is the slovakian game kicking off at?

4.30PM, our time, minty.

EalingGreen
04/09/2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah NI away record is poor (like our own) but I think NI should be able to get a draw against Slovakia.

After NI's results in Windsor for the Euro qualifiers, I'm sure the Czechs will be happy to come away with a draw.

That's about right, I'd say.

Tbh, until the Group settles down after the first couple of rounds, it's difficult to make any predictions. Which Slovakia will emerge? Are the Czechs a fading force, what with the retirment of several big players? Will the Poles suffer a Euro Hangover, or are they still on the rise?

As it happens, we have a habit of screwing up our opening game - even at home, and against the lesser teams. However, this does not necessarily continue. In fact, in some cases, I suspect it even serves as a necessary kick up the arse!

Therefore, my predictions for Sat and Wed?

Haven't the slightest clue...;)

P.S. Quite fancy a modest flutter on NI at 100/30 in Bratislava - thanks Not Brazil!

minty
04/09/2008, 1:18 PM
What will their starting XI be do ye think?

adamcarr
04/09/2008, 1:22 PM
They'll lose to the Slovaks and beat the Czechs.

EalingGreen
04/09/2008, 2:00 PM
What will their starting XI be do ye think?

Normally the team pretty much picks itself, but there's some doubt over this one, though this is more to do with reasons of formation than personnel.

Under Sanchez, we settled on a straight 4-4-2, which generally served us well, esp because Healy needs a big guy for a partner up front (originally Quinn, then Lafferty). In the past we've tried 4-5-1, primarily due to an imbalance between defenders (plenty) and strikers (one), but it was a disaster (esp under McIlroy, God Help Us)

However, our weakness is still our away form, so it is tempting to just be realistic and grind out a few draws, in which case 4-5-1 still looks tempting. This is especially so since Lafferty, our only real Big Man to play alongside Healy, is out of the Slovakia game.

Moreover, Nigel used 4-5-1 (Laff also injured) in the recent 0-0 warm-up away to Scotland, where we performed tidily enough. So it may just be that our players have now developed the maturity and experience to be able to try a "Plan B".

Therefore, I suspect Nigel will go for 4-5-1, as follows:
GK - Taylor
RB - Evans
CB - Hughes (Capt.)
CB - Craigan
LB - McCartney

RM - Gillespie
CM - Davis
CM - Baird
CM - Clingan
LM - Brunt

STKR - God.

The personnel could change, mind. Evans was magnificent at CB against the Jocks (Hughes was injured) and our classiest CB pairing is Hughes and Evans. But Craigan is one of those players who raises his game for NI and Nigel had to admit his mistake in leaving out of his first couple of lineups last year.
Plus, we've no real settled right back, having tried Baird, Duff and McAuley in that position - all natural Centre Backs. And tbh, Evans is good enough to play anywhere.

As for midfield, although Baird has been awful for the last 12 months (Fulham and NI), Nigel picked him as covering midfielder against Scotland and he actually had his best game for ages. I have a feeling he might repeat the experiment on Saturday.

If so, I'm sure Nigel will fill the bench with attacking subs, inc. Feeney, Paterson and Shiels, so that we can switch to 4-4-2 (or even 4-4-3), if we go behind in Slovakia.

Tbh, a point would probably do us, especially since Lafferty might be fit for Wednesday, in which case we can go for it with our best 4-4-2 against the Czechs.

P.S. As I typed this, it was great to realise that we now have at least some options, unlike the past, when it was usually a scramble to put out an XI from the motley collection of waifs and strays who could be bothered to turn up!

EalingGreen
04/09/2008, 2:06 PM
They'll lose to the Slovaks and beat the Czechs.
I might just take that, since I doubt the Slovaks have the consistency to put in a challenge over 10 games.

And if we are to squeeze in in 2nd place, I strongly suspect we will have to take 4 points each against the Czechs and Poles, hope that they cancel each other out, then rely Slovenia and Slovakia to nick the odd point from them.

cheifo
04/09/2008, 10:46 PM
N.I. have had some highly impressive results at Windsor in the last few years playing what I presume is a tight 4-4-2 system.This works a treat when you have a striker like Healy who can be relied upon to score goals.

I think Trapp is going the same way with us with two combative midfielders who hold their position.

Bottle of Tonic
07/09/2008, 5:59 PM
I see some of the NI fans took a batein in the Dubliner bar in Bratislava. (bbc website) Having been there this time last year i'm not surprised. They had four heavies kitted out in army gear as bouncers and wouldn't let any of us in when the place was only half full. Total cants.

shakermaker1982
07/09/2008, 6:13 PM
I see some of the NI fans took a batein in the Dubliner bar in Bratislava. (bbc website) Having been there this time last year i'm not surprised. They had four heavies kitted out in army gear as bouncers and wouldn't let any of us in when the place was only half full. Total cants.

I noticed that. It's a pity they couldn't catch the culprits and drop them on the Shankhill Road for a laugh when they meet in the return leg.

Scumbags. Unprovoked as well.

irishultra
07/09/2008, 7:07 PM
Unlucky NI, they deserved something from that game. I think Worthington is a good manager, just they were sloppy in defence. They got an average group, Poland are second seeds, and a poor second seed(on paper) and Czech Republic are an average team.

OwlsFan
08/09/2008, 7:04 AM
Saw the highlights of the game. Norn Iron seemed the better team, denied an obvious peno, Healy missed a few chances and conceded from a set piece. Fair few supporters at the game as well in a half empty stadium..

Rovers Maniac
08/09/2008, 10:17 AM
Delighted great result for them !

ruben_sosa
08/09/2008, 11:32 AM
I noticed that. It's a pity they couldn't catch the culprits and drop them on the Shankhill Road for a laugh when they meet in the return leg.

maybe they were singing sectarian songs and the owner took exception to it ?

Pauro 76
08/09/2008, 1:25 PM
and Sosa all of us. ;)

Steve Bruce
10/09/2008, 10:22 AM

There's no H in Shankill Road mate.

Closed Account 2
10/09/2008, 10:56 AM
You mean there is only 1 rather than 2, right ?

Gather round
10/09/2008, 11:20 AM

It seems they were singing about a watermelon- even if they weren't, how many Bratislavan locals are likely to recognise a Belfast sectarian song?

They're not even a real country anyways..

Just concentrate on not conceding five next time ye play half a country ;)

shakermaker1982
10/09/2008, 11:51 AM
There's no H in Shankill Road mate.

sorry a typo. At least somebody reads my posts! :D

Hibs4Ever
10/09/2008, 2:13 PM
I don't know if I'm alone here, but I hope Northern Ireland lose every game they play, just as I do with England. They're not even a real country anyways..

You not alone ;)

geysir
10/09/2008, 3:02 PM
No wonder you live in a cave :)

The Czech form was mixed on their travels in the Euro Qualifiers.
A point would be a good result for them.
The knives from the unforgiving will be out for Worthington if this game slips away from NI.

Gather round
10/09/2008, 3:35 PM
The Czech form was mixed on their travels in the Euro Qualifiers. A point would be a good result for them. The knives from the unforgiving will be out for Worthington if this game slips away from NI.

I think both would be satisfied with a draw.

There is always the unforgiving minority, but most will give Worthy the first four games before putting the boot in. We're the eighth smallest country in Europe- you have to be realistic ;)

HarpoJoyce
10/09/2008, 9:26 PM
I don't know if I'm alone here, but I hope Northern Ireland lose every game they play, just as I do with England. They're not even a real country anyways..

Just concentrate on not conceding five next time ye play half a country ;)

You not alone ;)

Comrade, I salute you....

It is funny reading the intole-RANT types who use the 'province' argument but support other Teams in Europe with even less reason to split and represent a nation.

Europe is an interesting and varied place. It drives ignoRANT types round the bend (Still correctly to the left-hand side).

History defeats you.......again.

irishultra
10/09/2008, 9:34 PM
North are basically out, but a good enough result.

Gather round
11/09/2008, 8:50 AM
North are basically out, but a good enough result.

How/ why are we out? Two games gone, one bad defeat but a good draw against the likely group winners. Poland and Slovakia have also dropped two and three points respectively in games they were expected to win.

NI and Slovenia are unlikely with our lack of depth to make second place. But it's at least a month too early to write them off completely.

irishultra
11/09/2008, 12:29 PM
Now in fairness when I said that I didn't see the results. Slovania have been a very very very poor side since the 2002 world cup(I think they finished second bottom last time) and beat Poland so that really throws the group wide open.

If NI get a win in Slovenia then they're right back in it.

EalingGreen
11/09/2008, 5:04 PM
Not trying to put a brave face on things when I say I'm still reasonably encouraged by our form/attitude, if not by the actual results.

Against Slovakia, we had a "bad day at the office" and although purely on the basis of chances and penalty claims etc, we (theoretically) deserved a draw, in the end, we got what we deserved - nowt!

That said, one defeat in a 10 game campaign needn't make a difference to qualifying. Much more important was how we reacted to that defeat, in which case we're still in good health.

The Czechs are clearly a good team and if they don't have the dazzling individuals they formerly had, they mostly make up for that by excellent teamwork and big game experience derived from the last few years.

By contrast, NI were without 3 of our 6 "big" players (Davis, Lafferty and Johnson), with a fourth (Healy) clearly lacking match fitness (Taylor and Aaron Hughes are the others). Nonetheless, we managed to take the game to them, so that the Czechs were happy to play out the last 20 minutes for the draw.

With other results so far in the Group going broadly our way, we can still hope that the Czechs will top the Group, taking lots of points from our competitors. Then we can hope to take 4 points from Poland, leaving the Poles, Slovaks and Slovenians to cancel each other out, whilst we slip in the back door into second place.

Onwards and Upwards!

Gather round
11/09/2008, 5:07 PM
Will ye be selling packages for South Africa EG?

EalingGreen
11/09/2008, 5:10 PM

Maybe even the same sectarian songs that got some ROI fans into bother in the same bar last year? :rolleyes:

prej·u·dice (prj-ds)
n.
a. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
b. A preconceived preference or idea.
2. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions.
3. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
4. Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived, unfavorable conviction of another or others.

geysir
11/09/2008, 8:06 PM
Other results don't matter a damn if you are not clocking up the points.
NI will be scrapping for 3rd at best, I don't think there will be much between 3rd 4th and 5th.
Another away defeat to Slovenia next month may be papered over for a while by a home win against San Marino.

Gather round
11/09/2008, 8:40 PM
Other results don't matter a damn if you are not clocking up the points.
NI will be scrapping for 3rd at best, I don't think there will be much between 3rd 4th and 5th.
Another away defeat to Slovenia next month may be papered over for a while by a home win against San Marino.

Thanks, Nostradamus. Alternatively, a fluke 1-0 win in Maribor might just be followed by two more scrapped successes against the Sammarinese. We'll try to secure the winner before the 95th minute, to avoid any jitters.

Not Brazil
12/09/2008, 11:35 AM
Now in fairness when I said that I didn't see the results. Slovania have been a very very very poor side since the 2002 world cup(I think they finished second bottom last time) and beat Poland so that really throws the group wide open.

If NI get a win in Slovenia then they're right back in it.

Slovenia drew with Poland (away).

They beat Slovakia at home.

You're right - we need to break our away form blues, and get a victory in Slovenia.

Something gives between the Czechs and Poles that day too.

drummerboy
12/09/2008, 11:45 AM
If NI can get a full squad, I could see them sneaking a win in Slovinia. Presuming they bean San Marino that will leave them with 7 points and in a very healthy position. Still all to play for

Just wondering what the NI fans think of Worthington? I watched the game on SKy the other night and the atmosphere didn't seem as good as previously. Don't know if this was because of Sky or some other reason.

Not Brazil
12/09/2008, 12:38 PM
Just wondering what the NI fans think of Worthington?

Some, whose expectations are perhaps too high, want him to leave immediately.

Others are prepared to give him a run through this campaign to see how things shape up.

We started this group as fourth favourites to win it - to add some context.