PDA

View Full Version : Spurs agree fee for Berbatov

Only1Rovers
01/09/2008, 2:09 PM
This is some shock move. The Premier League is turning into something of a soap opera off the field.

Reports this afternoon suggest Berbatov was at United's training ground completing a medical when the City offer came in. Could you imagine being a fly on the wall whan Ferguson heard the news.

Does all this transfer deadline day "shock" news make the league more appealing or is it turninig the whole thing into a joke?

To me it appears to be less about the football and more about the suits.

Pauro 76
01/09/2008, 2:12 PM
I've got to admit it, I love the transfer window for the pure drama. The Benjani deal from last year was a mad transfer window last day deal, and a big shock too.. On the BBC live feed and nearly spilt me tea when i saw that. He's not going to Man City. Is he? thought he wanted CL football?

Only1Rovers
01/09/2008, 2:18 PM
I've got to admit it, I love the transfer window for the pure drama. The Benjani deal from last year was a mad transfer window last day deal, and a big shock too.. On the BBC live feed and nearly spilt me tea when i saw that. He's not going to Man City. Is he? thought he wanted CL football?

I was on BBC there too... and sky and the Manchester Evening News. The Abu Dhabi crowd put Abramovic cooly in the shade. Roman's billions would be small fry compaired to sums they deal with.

I would think the money and his wages would do the talking here leaving Berbatov with little option but to follow the money to City. However, he is yet to agree terms with City so maybe he will follow his ambition and go to United for the Champions League football. Having said that when a player says he wants to leave a club that are a mid-table team for Champions League football aren't they really saying "I WANT MORE MONEY".

shakermaker1982
01/09/2008, 2:25 PM
Man City could offer him over 100k and I'd be surprised if Man Utd would offer anywhere near that so it could happen. £ does funny things to people. Man City turning into a superpower? Who'd have thought it?!

Pauro 76
01/09/2008, 2:32 PM
It's getting very interesting. Money really does talk. I wont believe all this is happening until Berbatov is pictured holding a Man City scarf. Are QPR not richer than Chelsea though?

superfrank
01/09/2008, 2:35 PM
Are QPR not richer than Chelsea though?
The owner's richer than Abramovich but he hasn't pumped as much money in yet.

Only1Rovers
01/09/2008, 2:36 PM
Dr Sulaiman Al-Fahim the new boss of City says they are currently chasing three players two in europe and one in England, we all know of the English based player is.

I'd guess one of the others is Robinhino. That would be amazing should City stick it to both United and Chelsea in the space of a couple of hours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7591926.stm

Danny
01/09/2008, 2:37 PM
pats in the 1st round of the uefa cup
city the richest club in the world ;)

seriuosly someone pinch me....

Pauro 76
01/09/2008, 2:38 PM
That would be amazing if City were to get Berbatov and Robinho in the same City line-up. they're really putting the big 4's noses out of joint today and Im liking them for that!

jinxy lilywhite
01/09/2008, 2:40 PM
The owner's richer than Abramovich but he hasn't pumped as much money in yet.

As far as I am aware Roman Abramovich hasn't pumped one penny into Chelsea. What they are doing is taking loans with him as a guarnator for the loans. Chelsea then are repaying the loan by themselves. All it takes is Abramovich or someone to pop him off (There are a good few in Russia who would like to do that (Mr. Putin))to do an ARKAGA and they are finished.

DmanDmythDledge
01/09/2008, 2:43 PM
Are there any reports that Berbatov is actually in talks with City? Presumably the bid will be accepted but everyone knows he wants to go to Man Utd. Turned down a last minute bid from Man Utd (and more money) when signing for Spurs so I'm hoping that the same will happen again. :) United will match City's £30m, will be intersting to see if City increase after that...

Villa and Gomex are Man City's other two targets apparantly.

Dodge
01/09/2008, 2:46 PM
Are there any reports that Berbatov is actually in talks with City?
Yes. but then they are reports about everything.

noby
01/09/2008, 2:47 PM
Transfer news from BBC:
"My 10-year-old has just come home with a football tattoo on his face and I am struggling to remove it before school tomorrow. That's my transfer news."

Made me laugh.

monutdfc
01/09/2008, 2:53 PM
pats in the 1st round of the uefa cup
city the richest club in the world ;)

seriuosly someone pinch me....

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1011329&postcount=2

Pauro 76
01/09/2008, 2:54 PM
Transfer news from BBC:
"My 10-year-old has just come home with a football tattoo on his face and I am struggling to remove it before school tomorrow. That's my transfer news."

Made me laugh.

I saw that, that was quite funny! :)

Dodge
01/09/2008, 2:57 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=1011329&postcount=2

Oh Don't worry, I tell Danny he's a part timer all the time...

Pauro 76
01/09/2008, 3:03 PM
Some great comments on the BBC Live feed.

1556: "I have just seen Mark Viduka outside the Hull stadium. I doubt he is in Hull for a holiday."
Anonymous via text on 81111

There is no arguing with the second half of your point.

Longfordian
01/09/2008, 3:18 PM
Berbatov has been bundled into the boot of Fergie's Audi and is en route to United's traning ground as we speak. Alright..he's not in the boot but he is with Fergie en route to the training ground according to Sky Sports News.

Roadend
01/09/2008, 3:20 PM
That's Andy Garcia in his car, but I can see how they were mistaken.

Longfordian
01/09/2008, 3:24 PM
I knew something was up when Sky were reporting that Spurs were trying to do a deal for Garcia. Those clever feckers have pulled a swap..

Roadend
01/09/2008, 3:36 PM
All the confirmation you need too:

1559: "I have just seen Fergie in a supermarket in Cheadle taking back cases of Bulgarian wine. He didn't look happy."
Adam, Cheadle,

DmanDmythDledge
01/09/2008, 3:53 PM
Real Madrid have apparantly made a £36.5m bid for Berbatov. :eek:

cheifo
01/09/2008, 4:24 PM
BBC now reporting that he is in talks with UTD.
I would guess Real want to line up a replacment for Robinhio.

boovidge
01/09/2008, 4:27 PM
Berbatov has to be the most overrated player in the Premier League.

shakermaker1982
01/09/2008, 4:39 PM
City in for Villa and Gomez as well? Football is a funny old game.

rambler14
01/09/2008, 4:39 PM
It would break my heart if after such a long transfer saga where United were the only club bidding if they lost out on such a good player to Man City of all clubs!
United drew this thing out as long as possible and now it seems as if their going to lose out and instead will end up with an emergency signing like Kevin Doyle or Kevin Davies.

The beginning of the end for Man Utd:(:(

boovidge
01/09/2008, 4:55 PM

Bit melodramatic isn't it?

European and English champions and it's the "beginning of the end" just because you might not sign a player?

Lionel Ritchie
01/09/2008, 5:35 PM
It would break my heart if after such a long transfer saga where United were the only club bidding if they lost out on such a good player to Man City of all clubs!
United drew this thing out as long as possible and now it seems as if their going to lose out and instead will end up with an emergency signing like Kevin Doyle or Kevin Davies.

The beginning of the end for Man Utd:(

ffs will you wait til I've this feckin violin tuned up! :D

Poor disconsolate ManU ...it breaks my heart to see them missing out on a player they put so much time and effort into illegally tapping up.:rolleyes:

cheifo
01/09/2008, 10:25 PM
What exactly is the difference between Madrids pursuit of Ronaldo and Utds behaviour of Ronaldo?
Citeh have apparantly signed Robinhio.
If Citeh become the new superpower we will await the UTD supporters down the pub shaking their head and saying that too much money is ruining football.

superfrank
01/09/2008, 10:53 PM
If Citeh become the new superpower we will await the UTD supporters down the pub shaking their head and saying that too much money is ruining football.
It'd be kind of ironic if they fork over £37m for Berbatov.

old git
03/09/2008, 11:36 AM
ffs will you wait til I've this feckin violin tuned up! :D

Poor disconsolate ManU ...it breaks my heart to see them missing out on a player they put so much time and effort into illegally tapping up.:rolleyes:

looks like your happiness has been shortlived :D unfortunatly i think berbatov will turn out to be an excellent signing for manu

Lionel Ritchie
03/09/2008, 12:58 PM
looks like your happiness has been shortlived :D unfortunatly i think berbatov will turn out to be an excellent signing for manu

What happiness? I'm quite indifferent beyond rolling my eyes at ramblers hysterionics about Manu nearly being beaten fair and square at the best game they play -throwing money at problem positions.

Dodge
03/09/2008, 1:00 PM

Just noticed this little gem now

EalingGreen
04/09/2008, 2:19 PM
Berbatov has to be the most overrated player in the Premier League.

Don't you believe it. OK, his attitude might stink, causing him to disappear in a sulk, but in terms of all round natural ability, he's as good a striker as there is in the EPL.

As a Spurs fan, I don't like the way he messed us around (though I blame the Board for letting him, whilst they held out for every last penny from MU). But I have to admit, he was simply too good to stay with us.

In the end, Ferguson wasn't going to splash £30m on him and forego £7m from Hull for Campbell, unless he thinks he's worth it. And if he can just sort out his head, I wouldn't be surprised if Berba made the same impact at OT as Cantona.

jinxy lilywhite
04/09/2008, 2:35 PM
Don't you believe it. OK, his attitude might stink, causing him to disappear in a sulk, but in terms of all round natural ability, he's as good a striker as there is in the EPL.

As a Spurs fan, I don't like the way he messed us around (though I blame the Board for letting him, whilst they held out for every last penny from MU). But I have to admit, he was simply too good to stay with us.

In the end, Ferguson wasn't going to splash £30m on him and forego £7m from Hull for Campbell, unless he thinks he's worth it. And if he can just sort out his head, I wouldn't be surprised if Berba made the same impact at OT as Cantona.

I'm a Spurs follower too and I have been very dissappointed with the boards treatment of both Keane and Berbatov. Spurs transfer policy is too buy players with potential and at a later date to sell them on at a profit. Good structure but the Berbatov saga went on way too long. Mr Levy has ended up sucessfully turning most spurs fans now against him and keane because they wanted to go to more sucessful clubs. The club have made a profit out of each sale so really I can't see why there is a problem. They both could of stayed and done a Judas.
Spurs got roughly 50m for that strike partnership which I'd say was worth 30m.

cheifo
04/09/2008, 3:37 PM
When he is on form he is a joy to watch and hard to see him not putting in the elbow grease with Ferguson as his boss.
Clutching at straws here but I am hoping the fact that Berbatov,Rooney,Ronaldo and Tevez like to come deep they might not gel.

Some commentators claimed this year that Rooney looks like he may never become a natural goalscorer(whatever than means) and could he feel side tracked by the other three?

But as I said clutching at straws, on paper they look devastating.

EalingGreen
04/09/2008, 5:39 PM
I'm a Spurs follower too and I have been very dissappointed with the boards treatment of both Keane and Berbatov. Spurs transfer policy is too buy players with potential and at a later date to sell them on at a profit. Good structure but the Berbatov saga went on way too long. Mr Levy has ended up sucessfully turning most spurs fans now against him and keane because they wanted to go to more sucessful clubs. The club have made a profit out of each sale so really I can't see why there is a problem. They both could of stayed and done a Judas.
Spurs got roughly 50m for that strike partnership which I'd say was worth 30m.

I've not been "disappointed" by the Board - but only because it was exactly what I expected. :mad:

What Spurs fans have to remember, is that they are owned/controlled by Joe Lewis - a billionaire tax exile, who lives in the Bahamas. And whenever I hear of a billionaire who doesn't want to pay even nominal taxes in his own country, I instinctively suspect a greedy, miserable sh1t, who's only interested in money.

In this case, he effectively bought control from Alan Sugar - a mere multi-millionaire - and installed Levy as his front man, with the brief of maximising the profit on his investment. With the spate of clubs now being bought by Billionaires from all over the world, it's clear that Levy considers the best way of doing this is by selling, whilst the market is still buoyant.
Which is why he is loading the club's balance sheet and building up its assets to make it look as attractive as possible to a buyer. This explains e.g. his transfer policy: e.g. buy good, young, mostly British talent with high future sell-on value, and/or sell the likes of Berbatov and Keane for £50m and give Ramos half that to replace them with the likes of Pavlychenko etc.
And it also explains Levy's refusal even to expand WHL, never mind build a new ground, since either would push the club into debt, which would take years to repay, which would therefore affect the club's sale value.
Moreover, it also explains why he sacked Jol when he did. The real key to making Spurs worth, say, £500m, rather than perhaps £300m, is Champions League football.
And it seems that after twice having finished 5th, Spurs demanded Jol go at least one better the next time. But Jol was too honest to make promises he couldn't guarantee to keep (i.e. it might take another season or two), and from that moment, his fate was sealed.
However, Levy held off actually sacking him for purely financial reasons i.e. he hoped Jol would "crack" first, thereby saving the club the full compensation package due to him. (Personally, I'm delighted for Jol that he held out for his wheelbarrow load of cash!).

Which brings us right back to Keane and Berbatov. Robbie realised that the club was going nowhere, probably got itchy feet, and the club did nothing to hold him, since with him approaching his peak at 28, they would never get £20m for him again. With Berba, I don't so much mind them selling him, since he is too good for us (if truth be told), plus he was determined to go to MU.

But if the Board had acted a month or two ago, they could have got up to £25m for him from MU, which would have given Ramos time to line up his ideal replacement. But nothing less than top whack is ever good enough for that weaselly little sh1t Levy, so we ended up with £5m extra, and Fraizer Campbell on loan for a season. Typical.

Tbh, I really hope NI have a good WC Qualifying tournament to give me my footballing kicks, since I am almost totally disillusioned with the carry-on at the Lane...:eek:

cheifo
04/09/2008, 10:42 PM
Ealing Green I had a lot of time for Jol(and my favourite EPL team are the Gooners!) because he just seemed a good bloke.
However it was widely reported that the fitness of the Spurs players was below standard expected until Ramos took over.True?

Corluka looks an excellant player and is only 22 but surprised they splashed out as Hutton looks excellant any time I have seen him

lionelhutz
05/09/2008, 11:57 AM
When he is on form he is a joy to watch and hard to see him not putting in the elbow grease with Ferguson as his boss.
Clutching at straws here but I am hoping the fact that Berbatov,Rooney,Ronaldo and Tevez like to come deep they might not gel.
Some commentators claimed this year that Rooney looks like he may never become a natural goalscorer(whatever than means) and could he feel side tracked by the other three?

But as I said clutching at straws, on paper they look devastating.

I had this argument with a friend if mine who's a United supporter. What will Ferguson do when all four are fit?? Play Ronaldo right wing, Rooney left wing and the other two up top?? I doubt it unless theyre playing Hull at OT.

Plus I do think Berbatov, Rooney and Tevez are two similar, they all love to drop off and create things. It could very well disrupt Uniteds play if all four are on the pitch.

I believe this is the beginning of the end for Rooney at United - Tevez is in much better form since last season, Ronaldo is undroppable and the signing of Berbatov puts major doubt over Fergusons faith in Rooney.

Also, Ronaldo was in reality Uniteds main striker last season - is he going to start up front when he returns with one of the other three? That would leave two of them on the bench or else on the wing where theyre wasted.

gaiscíoch
05/09/2008, 2:15 PM
I had this argument with a friend if mine who's a United supporter. What will Ferguson do when all four are fit?? Play Ronaldo right wing, Rooney left wing and the other two up top?? I doubt it unless theyre playing Hull at OT.

Plus I do think Berbatov, Rooney and Tevez are two similar, they all love to drop off and create things. It could very well disrupt Uniteds play if all four are on the pitch.

I believe this is the beginning of the end for Rooney at United - Tevez is in much better form since last season, Ronaldo is undroppable and the signing of Berbatov puts major doubt over Fergusons faith in Rooney.

Also, Ronaldo was in reality Uniteds main striker last season - is he going to start up front when he returns with one of the other three? That would leave two of them on the bench or else on the wing where theyre wasted.

I would agree totaly with you there. I think Rooneys days at Old Trafford are numbered. It's hard to see how Rooney is going to become the player we all thought he would be.

I think if a decent offer comes in for him he will be sold.

John83
05/09/2008, 6:45 PM
I doubt it. Ferguson likes him too much for his attitude, and I think he'll happily sit in a rotation scheme if he's getting a reasonable amount of football. I also think they'll lose Ronaldo next summer. There's too many billionaires floating around to keep a player of Ronaldo's reputation for long.