PDA

View Full Version : Swiss sector ban?

The Donie Forde
19/09/2003, 8:45 AM
Star has a lead story today that Irish fans with tickets in the Swiss sector may not be allowed into the stadium due to a UEFA rule...
Any of our Swiss friends have any info on this from your side?

Thanks/merci vielmal!

Donie

Ozymandias
19/09/2003, 9:17 AM
Radio one had that as well this morning....I don't think they can police that unless they ask us all to speak German or french.....Ou est le centre de George Pompidou

gspain
19/09/2003, 9:37 AM
Usual press story.

Will check tickets with passports at major finals. Never happened yet and has been run since 94 world cup.

Story ran for Brussels too and plenty of Irish in Belgian section.

It won't happen and there will be thousands of Irish in the Swiss sections.

The Donie Forde
19/09/2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by gspain
Usual press story.

Will check tickets with passports at major finals. Never happened yet and has been run since 94 world cup.

Point taken, gspain. I only ask because the Swiss are Europe's greatest respectors of rules and regulations. You know, observing the 'Don't Walk' signs when there's no traffic etc etc (No offence, Fraulein Volltreffer und freunden - I was very impressed by the lack of queue-hopping, keeping of speed limits etc when I was in Switzerland last year). I was just wondering if UEFA would act like maggots and insist on the rules being observed, in which case the Swiss just might feel they had to enforce them.

Anyone from Switzerland like to comment?

Donie

Junior
19/09/2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by gspain
Usual press story.

agreed, usual horse**** comings out, Ive never been stopped at an event despite being in the 'wrong end' on numerous occasions.

It won't happen

Volltreffer
19/09/2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde
I only ask because the Swiss are Europe's greatest respectors of rules and regulations. You know, observing the 'Don't Walk' signs when there's no traffic etc etc ...

:eek: You make me feel very unswiss! :p

I can't imagine it's true, no one wants a riot in front of the stadium. There were Russian fans too in the Swiss sector, I don't see any problems.

Anyway I have written to the chief of security of Basel United (they run the stadium) to make sure.

The Donie Forde
19/09/2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Volltreffer
:eek: You make me feel very unswiss! :p

I can't imagine it's true, no one wants a riot in front of the stadium. There were Russian fans too in the Swiss sector, I don't see any problems.

Anyway I have written to the chief of security of Basel United (they run the stadium) to make sure.

Volltreffer, you are a star - and very Swiss, thanks for all your help to everyone on these boards...!

Donie

gspain
19/09/2003, 1:37 PM
And there's a far bigger chance of a riot at the World Pumpkin championships in Zurich than there is in Basle that weekend.

Volltreffer
19/09/2003, 1:43 PM
:D :D :D

What I mean is that if I were responsible of security, I wouldn't like to have an angry crowd in front of the stadium, no matter how likely or unlikely they are to riot. And it would only be natural to be angry in such a situation.

And then Irish fans have an excellent reputation. If there are problems at the entrance, you might actually get some (verbal) support from the Swiss fans.

lopez
19/09/2003, 2:51 PM
Having got tickets for the Swiss end, it would be inprudent of me to turn up with green face, tricolour wig with a real life wolfhound. But I can't see them asking everyone for ID. Usual mierda de toro and you can rest assured an angry mob of a couple of thousand, previously placid, is something that only a fool would want to encourage.

cione
22/09/2003, 1:20 PM
:D :D :D

What I mean is that if I were responsible of security, I wouldn't like to have an angry crowd in front of the stadium, no matter how likely or unlikely they are to riot. And it would only be natural to be angry in such a situation.

And then Irish fans have an excellent reputation. If there are problems at the entrance, you might actually get some (verbal) support from the Swiss fans.

Hi Volltreffer,
Were the Russian fans wearing their colours in the Swiss end?.
I know there will be plenty of Irish around the Swiss sections,
but I wonder how many will be in the Green!

Volltreffer
22/09/2003, 3:15 PM
Yes, they were, but there were only a few.
I'll let you know if/when I get an answer from Basel United.

lopez
22/09/2003, 4:37 PM
Is this UEFA rule real?:mad:

I mean look at UEFA when they host an event, like the Champions League, UEFA Cup, or the European Championships. Tickets sold to all and sundry without segregation. Did UEFA insist that the Garda Civil lock out all those Celtic fans that had tickets in with the Porto fans? No.

During euro '96 I bought tickets for all Spain's games, specifically asking for the Spanish section. Where was I dumped when Spain played the Scum. In with the Scum. Not too great when I cheered the 'goal' that I thought had dumped those w ankers out of the competition.

Volltreffer. Is it compulsory to carry a national ID card or passport in Switzerland, as you do in Belgium and Germany? If my memory serves me correct, you don't. If that is the case, unless you are going in dressed like a leprechaun,:rolleyes: there is not much that can be done. Everyone take a chill pill.

Volltreffer
22/09/2003, 5:18 PM
Originally posted by lopez
Is it compulsory to carry a national ID card or passport in Switzerland, as you do in Belgium and Germany?
No, it isn't. And even if it were, I don't see how they would check everyone. :confused:

I just hope they won't create a problem where there really is none.

lopez
22/09/2003, 7:22 PM
No, it isn't. And even if it were, I don't see how they would check everyone. :confused:

I just hope they won't create a problem where there really is none.

Many thanks., Volltreffer. You're right. Impossible really, although they could randomly do it. However if there is no onus on carrying ID, then they can't.

While we all want a party, I also know that if the Swiss FA do not want Irish fans in the home section, for whatever reason, I'm not going to give anyone an excuse for not allowing me in.

Volltreffer
07/10/2003, 8:52 PM
I wrote to Basel United (who run the stadium) and the Swiss Football Association and didn't get an answer from any of them.

My hypothesis is that they will let you it, but since this is not in accordance with UEFA regulations, they don't want to officially say so.

I don't see what else they can do.

gspain
08/10/2003, 12:06 PM
I can't see any problem getting in - plenty of Irish fans in the home end in Brussels for the 97 playoff.

I also expect England fans to get in in Istanbul.