Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sligo Rovers Chairman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Sligo Rovers Chairman

What a disgrace. Blaming Sligo's financial woes and his woeful budgeting on Summer soccer.

Pleading for a return to Winter football on Six one neas. When the evidence suggests that attendances are up (albeit marginally).

Talk about trying to deflect blame from himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    What a disgrace. Blaming Sligo's financial woes and his woeful budgeting on Summer soccer.

Pleading for a return to Winter football on Six one neas. When the evidence suggests that attendances are up (albeit marginally).

Talk about trying to deflect blame from himself.
    I can smell a court case with that header

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    He is far too quick to put the blame on summer football, and not the (admittedly, good-intentioned) amateurs running the club.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cork, Drogs, Derry and the Dublin clubs. Doesn't work for anyone else. Especially GAA strongholds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    Cork, Drogs, Derry and the Dublin clubs. Doesn't work for anyone else. Especially GAA strongholds.
    So it doesn't work, apart from most of the Premier Division.....sounds like a case of tough titties....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    obviously it is the summer football thats to blame and not the contracts given to their players by him that have sligo rovers in the financial state it finds itself !

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    So it doesn't work, apart from most of the Premier Division.....sounds like a case of tough titties....
    22 teams in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    22 teams in Ireland.
    And if all of them ran their clubs properly......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    reality is times change if we went back to winter football, nothing but diehards would attend, people are not going to come out on a rainy wintery windy night in january for loi, if we had grounds like premiership then maybe but we can not offer same level as england so todays modern punter is not going to pay to stand in a field in january looking at fellas running around in mud, summer football suits as times have changed
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    And don't forget all the mothers who bring their children to th beach at
    8 o'clock on a Saturday night just as Sligo home games kicK off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Didn't think Sligo was a particular GAA stronghold, is it ? We've always been told how Sligo is a "soccer town". In fairness I do think crowds are down, but I'm far from sure it's because of summer football. It's had a lot of positives. Better pitches, and consequently better football being played, and of course it's also played a significant part in better European results, along with the fact that more players are full time.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    This is laughable.

If we weren't playing Sumemr football he'd be blaming somethign else. most probably the weather.

Surely if a business plans for the coming year and finds that its core assumptions in those plans were incorrect (i.e. re income, attendances etc), the main responsibility for that rests with the business ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Didn't think Sligo was a particular GAA stronghold, is it ? We've always been told how Sligo is a "soccer town". In fairness I do think crowds are down, but I'm far from sure it's because of summer football. It's had a lot of positives. Better pitches, and consequently better football being played, and of course it's also played a significant part in better European results, along with the fact that more players are full time.
    Its a funny town,young fella's who play football all day long dont go to the Showgrounds but go to the 'big' championship games
    RIP JOHNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deecay View Post
    Its a funny town,young fella's who play football all day long dont go to the Showgrounds but go to the 'big' championship games
    Sligo is one of the few genuine soccer towns in the Republic though Deecay.

Along with Dundalk and Athlone, it's a town where soccer has traditionally been the number one game since garrison days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Sligo Borough and its district would be predominently "soccer"
    south county Sligo, where Toolan is from would be Gah country.
    Easy to blame all our woes on summer football, but i think it has contributed to a degree. Our crowds arent that bad, its just that we arent generating enough income from other sources. We are a full time professional club run by ametures on a part time basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with Steve it is to easy to blame summer soccer, we all know the budget was way to high at the start of the year ! Whatever your opinion on the which season is best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deecay View Post
    Dont agree with this at all. I come from town and i'd say 75% of my mates would attend The Showgrounds. The other 25% dont go but your allways going to get a certain amount of people who just wont go no matter what. 2 or 3 went to the Sligo v Galway final last year, the first time they have ever attended a gaa game. i myself have never been to a gaa chapionship/league game. (Not saying there is anything wrong with attending gaa games) there is a deep rooted tradition of football in Sligo, My grandfather went to The Rovers, my father went to the Rovers and I'll take my kids to thee Rovers when they are old enough,thats a fair bit of tradition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Sligo were beaten by a city in the UK at Gaelic Football last weekend, hardly a GAA stronghold.

In fairness to Sligo Rovers, Sligo is not large town - population approx 25,000 ?
    Getting crowds of 2,000 + to league matches is difficult.

GUFC managed 2,200 last season, but 80,000 people live within five miles of Terryland, and there are another 140,000 living within the county boundaries.
    Last edited by Patrick Dunne; 24/07/2008 at 10:51 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfc1928 View Post
    Dont agree with this at all. I come from town and i'd say 75% of my mates would attend The Showgrounds. The other 25% dont go but your allways going to get a certain amount of people who just wont go no matter what. 2 or 3 went to the Sligo v Galway final last year, the first time they have ever attended a gaa game. i myself have never been to a gaa chapionship/league game. (Not saying there is anything wrong with attending gaa games) there is a deep rooted tradition of football in Sligo, My grandfather went to The Rovers, my father went to the Rovers and I'll take my kids to thee Rovers when they are old enough,thats a fair bit of tradition
    I know a big group of football lads (play for junior clubs/interfirm sides/coach football/on football coarse's) and they dont go to the Showgrounds but do go to Sligo games.My father is from the country and he's been going for over 40yrs,he knows people from Swinford/Dromore West who have been going for over 50yrs.I was brought in a buggie at an awful young age.There are many diehards in the county but id always count us as being a predominately town based club

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    It is not a GAA stronghold.
    They are a disgrace but they have alot of 'fans'
    Last edited by deecay; 24/07/2008 at 10:53 PM.
    RIP JOHNNY

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Shocking!!! He's a buff in the ealry 30's, "soccer" and "housewives taking the kids to the beach"? Cringe the whole way through it!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast