Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Intermediate Cup 2008

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    I was only talking to a chap here in work about days like last Sunday and the various MSL grounds around the place
    All are pretty godforsaken spots on a cold and wintery day.
    You can sing that Razor, some of the wildest places I've seen. Speaking of which, we're away to Castleview this Sunday morn!!

Fermoy is about the only pitch I've gone to that is always in great nick. Superb playing surface.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    You can sing that Razor, some of the wildest places I've seen. Speaking of which, we're away to Castleview this Sunday morn!!

Fermoy is about the only pitch I've gone to that is always in great nick. Superb playing surface.
    Would agree with that,ucc open to all the elements no where to hid at all not even dugouts up there,fermoy top class as is midletons first pitch lovely surfaces on both these pitchs a credit to who ever looks after them?
    Bake em away Toys

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One thing in fairness about the LSL is that the standard of pitches and club set-ups is far better than the MSL. For instance, there are at least 7 clubs in the top 3 divisions who have floodlights and play their homegames on a Friday night. The only downside is that the majority of these teams are based outside of Dublin, so getting there on Friday from the city can be a nightmare - similar to getting to Fermoy on a Friday at 5pm from Cork city.

And the playing surfaces are top class - Ireland train on Malahide's pitch before home internationals and Kildare County use Newbridge Town's grounds (ok, not as impressive as the first but you get the picture.)

It's getting to the stage where if you don't see a setup at least similar to Corinthians when you arrive for an away game in the LSL top divisions, then you're ****ed off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne View Post
    One thing in fairness about the LSL is that the standard of pitches and club set-ups is far better than the MSL. For instance, there are at least 7 clubs in the top 3 divisions who have floodlights and play their homegames on a Friday night. The only downside is that the majority of these teams are based outside of Dublin, so getting there on Friday from the city can be a nightmare - similar to getting to Fermoy on a Friday at 5pm from Cork city.

And the playing surfaces are top class - Ireland train on Malahide's pitch before home internationals and Kildare County use Newbridge Town's grounds (ok, not as impressive as the first but you get the picture.)

It's getting to the stage where if you don't see a setup at least similar to Corinthians when you arrive for an away game in the LSL top divisions, then you're ****ed off.

My apoligise never mentioned youghal lovely playing surface and they have floodlights for games on friday nights had the pleasure of playing under them this year and thought it was fantastic,as for teams training on pitches the england u-21 were training on the midleton pitch before they played ireland a few weeks ago,in defence of the majority of msl clubs the standard is getting better every year the clubs are starting to realise that they are being judged as much off the pitch as on it,what was that famous quote from a great cork man"fail to prepare,prepare to fail"
    Bake em away Toys

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anybody have the full draw for the intermediate cup. I hear Avondale could be away to St. James Gate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Footballer View Post
    Anybody have the full draw for the intermediate cup. I hear Avondale could be away to St. James Gate
    just checked the msl and fai websites and nothing on either one of those,clifford is usually the man in the know,he will be able to find out the fixtures for the next round
    Bake em away Toys

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    St.James Gate vs Dalky/Avondale
    Rockmount v's Everton/Celbridge
    Douglas Hall vs Faned

I don't know the rest. It doesn't seem a bad draw for all.

Avondale could end up playing two 1st divisions teams even if they are away. They're expexted to come through.
    Rockmount will have two home draws.
    Douglas hall will have a home draw if they get past a tough 3rd round draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    not a bad draw for any of them the only worry is that avondale seem to be struggling to find form at the moment
    Bake em away Toys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Belgrove v LiffeyPearse

Rockmount v Everton/Celbridge

Drogheda/Ballincollig v Carriglaine/Newtown

Glebe/Bangor v Leeds/Crumlin

Cherry Orchard/Swilly Rovers v Templemount/ St Marys

Mount Merrion/ Wayside v Lissadel

Greystones/ D hall v Fanad

James' Gate v Dalkey/Avondale
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Predictions

Here's who I think will come through these ties:

Belgrove v LiffeyPearse - Belgrove

Rockmount v Everton/Celbridge - Rockmount

Drogheda/Ballincollig v Carriglaine/Newtown - Ballincollig

Glebe/Bangor v Leeds/Crumlin - tough one here, 3 potential winners (sorry Leeds, you're not one of them) - going to go with one of my original outside bets - Glebe

Cherry Orchard/Swilly Rovers v Templemount/ St Marys - Cherry Orchard

Mount Merrion/ Wayside v Lissadel - Wayside

Greystones/ D hall v Fanad - tough one here too, I'm going to stick with another of my outside bets - Douglas Hall

James' Gate v Dalkey/Avondale - Two potential banana skins for Avondale here. Do Avondale have home advantage against Dalkey seeing as the first game was called off? If so, I'll go with Avondale to go through. Even though current form is poor, I think they have just about too much class for these two.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Weekends results
    Templemount 0-3 St Marys
    Cherry Orchard 0-1 Swilly Rovers
    Drogheda Utd 4-3 Ballincollig
    Leeds 1-2 Crumlin Utd
    Dalkey Utd 1-3 Avondale Utd
    Everton 4-0 Celbridge Town
    Glebe North 0-0 Bangor Celtic
    Greystones FC 1-2 Douglas Hall
    Mt Merrion YMCA 0-0 Wayside Celtic

Revised Draw

Belgrove v LiffeyPearse
    Rockmount v Everton
    Drogheda Town v Carrigaline Utd
    Glebe North/Bangor Celtic v Crumlin Utd
    Swilly Rovers v St Marys
    Douglas Hall v Fanad
    St James' Gate v Avondale
    Last edited by razor; 06/01/2008 at 9:05 PM.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Belgrove v LiffeyPearse
    Rockmount v Everton
    Drogheda Town v Carrigaline Utd
    Glebe North/Bangor Celtic v Crumlin Utd
    Swilly Rovers v St Marys
    Douglas Hall v Fanad
    St James' Gate v Avondale

Some nice draws there we could have 5 msl teams in the next round if the results go the right way or be left with only one msl team if results go against the msl teams
    Bake em away Toys

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I still fancy Douglas hall to win it. A Douglas hall v's Mount Merrion/ Wayside final.

Avondale may go far if they continue to bring back their previous players. I heard Hartigan was back along with Bruton & Damien O' Connell
    Anyone have any thoughts

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was a great win for Douglas Hall alright away to Greystones. Any report on the game...did they deserve it? It will be a tricky tie at home to Fanad though - they lost to them a couple of years ago after a replay. I saw the first game up in Douglas and the Hall battered them for 90 and Fanad snuck a late equaliser, and then beat them in the replay. They're resilient.

You have to count Swilly now as an outside bet after beating Cherry Orchard (top of LSL) away.

I would like to see Douglas Hall win it, but for me it's still hard to look past Rockmount. Their strength in depth is frightening!

There's a lot of controversy surrounding Mount Merrion (or Moneymen, as they're known) at the moment - there's a lot of money there and they're paying the majority of their players, so a lot of ex-LOI etc. have joined in the past two seasons. I'd love to see them play Rockmount at some stage in the competition...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hear what your saying alright but I just think to keep things going on 2 fronts with the league and cup would be too much for both the Hall & Mount.

I fancy Rockmount alright for the league and do a 3 in a row but I just think the Hall will win something big this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if MM went out v's Wayside in the reply.
    Your spot on about Swilly alright they're diffo one to be watched.

All the top sides are left bar Cherry Orchard

Rockmount
    Hall
    Bangor
    Swilly
    Wayside/MM
    Avondale

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Cracking cup this year, I'll not write off Avondale just yet. The lack of games isn't helping any of the Cork teams for continuity. Dale have only played 4 league games so far and it get's busier after Chrimbo traditionally.

Interesting to hear about the Mount Merrion situation, there seems to be a club like that every year or two in Dublin. Good luck to em, hope we beat em in the final mind you!
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Mount Merrion have come up through the leagues of the LSL over the last 5 years, adding a few ex-EL players every year. They have 4 coaches, including Dave Connell, ex rovers and Dundalk, Sean Byrne, ex Dundalk, Howie King, ex Limerick. Players who have played over those years and left include the likes David McGill, Donal Broghan. At this stage their wage bill must be astronomical for a non league club. Despite this don't think they will win the intermediate cup.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Does anyone know whoi won between Mount Merrion & Wayside in the Intermediate cup?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Wayside are down to play Lissadel this weekend so through the process of elimination my dear Dr Watson I presume that Wayside won.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    wayside won the replay by a single goal, and with them firm favourites to beat lissadel they would be well worth a punt to win it out, they have been there before and done it all

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast