Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    a major plus on his performance was when MOTD2 were analyzing the match after and city slick football, ireland was involved in every move, key man to them to be fair, him and petrov being overshadowed by elano.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Ireland's had to step into the playmaker role since Elano's been injured, he's not quite at that level yet, but the fact that Sven thinks he can do it now speaks volumes.
    Hamann was suspended today, and Johnson was only just back from injury, so Ireland had to do a lot more tackling than he normally does in a game to win back the ball. As we all know from Cyprus, he can't tackle for nuts. Don't think the sending off offence was malicious, he's just not a good tackler.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Sven summed it up perfectly to be honest. It WAS a bad tackle but almost every player has done a tackle like that at some stage. You can't defend it because both his feet were about a foot high, however to class it as foolish rather than venomous probably portrays it best.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    I don't see how people think it was not deliberate or not malicious.

He launched himself off the ground and slid in with studs showing. These things don't happen by accident.

That makes it both deliberate and malicious in my book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I don't see how people think it was not deliberate or not malicious.

He launched himself off the ground and slid in with studs showing. These things don't happen by accident.

That makes it both deliberate and malicious in my book.
    Yeah I agree with you.

He had time to think about how is was going to tackle for the ball - it wasn't a "spur of the moment thing". It was malicious - clear intent IMO to cause injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I was at the game and I've watched the replay on motd and I think he just lost control of the ball and lunged for it, it was a bad reckless tackle that could have caused serious injury but I don't think it was done with malicious intent.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    it was a bad reckless tackle that could have caused serious injury but I don't think it was done with malicious intent.
    Maybe reckless is a better word than malicious, but sliding at speed with studs showing is likely to cause injury, and a player knows that when they make the tackle. Maybe he wasn't thinking "I'm gonna smash this ******", but he must have been thinking "this tackle could break his leg" - he knew what he was doing, and still did it. Call it reckless, malicious, or whatever, it was certainly dirty, stupid, dangerous and, in my eyes, a disgrace.
    Last edited by osarusan; 10/12/2007 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    I was at the game, too, and although it was the opposite side of the pitch, i remember thinking it a bad tackle at the time. Now I've seen the video for the first time, I realise it was a quite atrocious effort.

As Osarusan says, you can't call it malicious in the sense that he set out to hurt the player, but it was at least reckless i.e. Ireland didn't appear too bothered if he had hurt him, either. (A bit like no drunk driver ever intends to crash his car, but it's still a reckless thing to do to get behind the wheel when you've had a few) Which for me explains another point: someone said, as if in mitigation, "at least he didn't complain".

I think the fact he didn't complain reflected the fact that he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on*.

More generally, I was at the game with a Man City fan. He reckons Ireland is a talented enough player, but lacks the pace to be a real star. Apparently Elano is the guy who's really been running the City team in their good start to the season. They also seemingly missed Hamann yesterday, as well. Dunne was very good, as ever, I thought, but I can't say I was especially impressed by City - particularly when they couldn't beat the leaderless and mostly mediocre side that Spurs are these days.

* - If Young hadn't been in the air when Ireland struck, I reckon he'd have left without a leg to stand on, as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    bloody awful tackle, no excuses. he had a reasonably good game until then but screwed his team with poor judgement. a little fatigue, loss of concentration, poor first touch, and then jet-li dropkick to the knees, not good.
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    just watched the tackle and to be fair it was a terrible attempt to win the ball after a very poor first touch but its nothing anyone of us hasn't seen in the prem league,eircom league or down the park on a sunday morning countless times before this so i wouldn't go over the top(pardon the pun) about it,the other player was o.k and no spurs players ran in ala man utd protesting about it,i'd say he will just have to take it as a hard lesson learned and maybe leave the tackling to the players who are better at it as he isn't known for being the best in that department.
    Last edited by gee wizz; 10/12/2007 at 2:48 PM.
    Bake em away Toys

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    More generally, I was at the game with a Man City fan. He reckons Ireland is a talented enough player, but lacks the pace to be a real star.

Apparently Elano is the guy who's really been running the City team in their good start to the season. They also seemingly missed Hamann yesterday, as well... but I can't say I was especially impressed by City - particularly when they couldn't beat the leaderless and mostly mediocre side that Spurs are these days.
    I think his judgement may be coming from the fact that Ireland has mainly played right wing for City this season. I'd consider Ireland to be a playmaker, a position where pace isn't essential.

You answered your own question there. Elano and Hamann have been key players for them this season. Johnson too, who was playing in first game in about a month after injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd sayu everyone has seen this but I'll stick it up anyway it's gas!!!
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJKkOaJW18
    Barca 2 vs manchester 0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As Osarusan says, you can't call it malicious in the sense that he set out to hurt the player, but it was at least reckless i.e. Ireland didn't appear too bothered if he had hurt him, either. (A bit like no drunk driver ever intends to crash his car, but it's still a reckless thing to do to get behind the wheel when you've had a few) Which for me explains another point: someone said, as if in mitigation, "at least he didn't complain".

I think the fact he didn't complain reflected the fact that he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on*.

* - If Young hadn't been in the air when Ireland struck, I reckon he'd have left without a leg to stand on, as well
    With Keane's admirable walk off the pitch last week still fresh in the memory I'm not surprised Ireland did the same. While it should be expected that players don't abuse referee's, the vast majority would have in Keane's shoes, and I think he has set a good example which the FA should have at least acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge
    I'd consider Ireland to be a playmaker, a position where pace isn't essential.
    Not only is it not essential but pretty much every playmaker I can think of lacks pace. I don't think that's coincidence. Slow players would be required to make up for their lack of pace through passing and movement. They think about the game a lot more. There are some exceptions but I wouldn't even class Kaka a playmaker at the moment. If he lacked pace he would almost certainly be though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    With Keane's admirable walk off the pitch last week still fresh in the memory I'm not surprised Ireland did the same. While it should be expected that players don't abuse referee's, the vast majority would have in Keane's shoes, and I think he has set a good example which the FA should have at least acknowledged.
    No comparison (imo) between Keane and Ireland's respective circumstances. Keane deserves credit for going off without fuss, since he was harshly treated by the referee. Whereas, Ireland going off without fuss after a clear red card which might have maimed his opponent, should be the very least you should expect.

Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Not only is it not essential but pretty much every playmaker I can think of lacks pace. I don't think that's coincidence. Slow players would be required to make up for their lack of pace through passing and movement. They think about the game a lot more. There are some exceptions but I wouldn't even class Kaka a playmaker at the moment. If he lacked pace he would almost certainly be though.
    My original point (actually, my Man City friends) was that although Ireland's other qualities make him a very good player, he'll never be exceptionable without pace, particularly in the British game.

As regards playmakers generally, those who can reach the top without pace (e.g. Riquelme, Hoddle) are becoming rarer as the game speeds up. And it's never any harm if you do have it! One of the most outstanding attributes of one of my all-time favourites, Gazza, was his electrifying speed over the first five yards - not bad for a fat lad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    No comparison (imo) between Keane and Ireland's respective circumstances. Keane deserves credit for going off without fuss, since he was harshly treated by the referee. Whereas, Ireland going off without fuss after a clear red card which might have maimed his opponent, should be the very least you should expect.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen
    My original point (actually, my Man City friends) was that although Ireland's other qualities make him a very good player, he'll never be exceptionable without pace, particularly in the British game.
    Very sad tbh and if England didn't favour big, strong, fast, athletic players so much they might actually be a top team. I agree, it's definitely a lot harder for a playmaker to succeed in Britain but it's not impossible. Maybe you need to be an exceptional talent though which is probably your point.

Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen
    As regards playmakers generally, those who can reach the top without pace (e.g. Riquelme, Hoddle) are becoming rarer as the game speeds up. And it's never any harm if you do have it! One of the most outstanding attributes of one of my all-time favourites, Gazza, was his electrifying speed over the first five yards - not bad for a fat lad!
    It depends how you define a playmaker. Many people regards the likes of Ronaldo, Messi and Kaka playmakers. I certainly don't. Ronaldo in particular certainly isn't. If one of those 3 players weren't involved in any goalscoring chances than you could probably say for sure that they had a bad day at the office. A playmaker could be the most influential player on the pitch whether he's involved in a goal or not. The likes of Pirlo, Xavi, Alonso, Riquelme, Deco, Juninho... The pacy Ronaldinho seems to be turning into more of a playmaker these days.

I agree with the earlier posters. I think Ireland will be a playmaker in time and therefore won't require pace, England or not.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 10/12/2007 at 7:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In a year or two Ireland could be sublime in La Liga or somewhere like that if he kept progressing.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Shocking tackle but at least the ball was there or thereabouts, as for Joey Bartons tackle at the wkd........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Shocking tackle but at least the ball was there or thereabouts, as for Joey Bartons tackle at the wkd........
    Isn't his brother that murderer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Isn't his brother that murderer?
    step brother I believe, not related by blood (if you'll excuse the horrible pun)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    step brother I believe, not related by blood (if you'll excuse the horrible pun)
    Half brother isn't it? Same Ma, different Da's.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast