Monaghan United start their hardest games of the series when they head to Ballybofey tomorrow night. Finn Harps are proving a very hard team to beat and United have been unable to do so, so far, this season. In United’s first game with Harps, a dexterous Alvin Rouse in goals prevent the Donegal side from scoring and helped keep the game at 0-0. When the ‘Fey men made the return visit to United seemed to lie down and die allowing Harps to win comfortably (2-0).

Since then United have brought in some new players but unfortunately the two key new signings of Jason McCartney and Luke Fitzpatrick may be out for this game due to injuries they picked up in United’s game against Kilkenny City. McCartney picked up a nasty ankle injury not long after scoring on his debut and Fitzpatrick is doubtful with a calf problem. Both players were central in lifting the Mons game up a notch and allowing them to beat Kilkenny comprehensively.

Mons will also still be without Peter D’arcy who has been suffering from a groin problem for some weeks now. This will undoubtedly leave Mick Cooke’s men weakened as they face into the Harp’s game followed later in the week by their game against local rival’s and league leaders Dundalk.

Manager Mick Cooke stated “We are both on good runs lately, with Harps being unbeaten in 9 games. At the start of the season I thought the league was going to be between Harps, Dundalk and Cobh and Harps are still in the mix. Harp’s Paul Hegarty has been doing a great job since he has taken over.”

“On Friday night when we played Kilkenny I felt that we had a very professional performance. They came here looking for a point and we overcame their defensive set up. I was very pleased with how every man played and delighted that we scored 3 goals” he continued.