Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wexford Football Complex

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wexford Football Complex

Having been around to many of the football grounds in Division One I find that we have one of the best. What does this say about the competence, ambition and foresight of those clubs which are around for years - since 37 and further back. No wonder attendances are pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by new blue View Post
    Having been around to many of the football grounds in Division One I find that we have one of the best. What does this say about the competence, ambition and foresight of those clubs which are around for years - since 37 and further back. No wonder attendances are pathetic.
    Give yourself a pat on the back there so fella !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Guess you're just lucky to have one of the few Irish businessmen interested in investing in domestic football (and a greenfield site miles out of town....) it is great, but I'd hate to have to drive out there for matches if i lived in Wexford Town.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I would ask the question will ye be around as long as the others first !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    i wouldnt boast, you have a big field while everyone else has a ground with terraceing and seats built in, oh and you dont have to pay wages, and as said it is far outside town, that said there is a lot of potential but no point boasting that you have a field, i was there yer first game against us and the wind was dealy even now i shiver thinking of that day,( im assuming weather in the sunny souteast has improved since summer came in) you have a nice set up but it helps when your not in the center of town, ye have the potential to build one of the best grounds in the country were ye are,and best of luck with it
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    One mans money got you a field in the middle of a wind tunnel, well done!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    .............and a poxy wine bar
    Who Cares?!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    You don't have this though!
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    typical begrudgery.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atfconline View Post
    You don't have this though!
    Next season we'll have very similar. Otherwise I'd agree that the whole complex, while nice, is a bit over hyped. Until an actual permanent stand is in place it'll be little more than an open field with a nice clubhouse and dressing rooms.

Having said that it's the nicest field, clubhouse and dressing rooms in the league

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    typical begrudgery.
    I'm actually very inclined to say the same thing. The lad is happy. Let him be happy and let him boast of it as is his want. Well done to Wexford Youth's. A big step for them entering League of Ireland and good luck to them that they got a passionate football man/property developer to make the dream come through.

I'm sure the journey will have its ups and downs. Its League of Ireland after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    talking out of your arse ..out of ten clubs in the div your ground is somewhere in the middle a long way from been top class
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    work to begin shortly on Harps new 6,500 seater in stranorlar link:
    http://finnharps.openhosts.com/Stadi...NewStadium.htm
    It shows a sign of commitment when a club builds a new stadium or improves its ground.
    Athlone are building a fine ground, step by step, Dundalk have completed a new stand and when full their ground has a special atmosphere (espesially in the shed), , and thats just in the 1st Div, so in all fairness how can you question these clubs "competence, ambition and foresight" ? As said above, the other clubs dont have a millioneir business man backing them and other clubs pay their players.
    Im sure that Mr.Wallace has had his investment fully refunded at this stage (if ye are getting crowds of 500+ every week)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    typical begrudgery.
    Paul how many EL grounds have you visited?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I must say I take exception to the OPs tone. Unfortuantely, not every club is funded by a very wealthy man who can build a stand cheaply and quickly. Many clubs are in a tough situation and it is difficult to show a lot of foresight when you are trying to run a club and pay weekly expenses in the Division One, with low gates, long expensive journeys, and with the execption of Wexford wages. Your post seems to be aimed at other First Division clubs and I haven't come across any club who isn't striving to improve things. Money talks however, and we can't all get things done as aswiftly as your one-man club.

Newcastle is a fine facility, however it it the product on the pitch that attracts people the most. I think us eircom League fans get overly worked up about facilities. I mean, just look at the crowds the GAA get in places like St Conleths Park Newbridge and so many other GAA county and club grounds. My brother plays GAA and I've been to as good few grounds where there hjave been anything up to 8,000 in grounds that haven't a seat and wouldn't get a First Division Lisence. I'm not saying we as a League shouldn't be motivated to improve facilities, but it's the end product on the pitch that attracts people the most.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Paul how many EL grounds have you visited?
    why does that matter, i dont support an El club so its obviouslly not going to be many, my point was that the lad is happy and he gets slated for saying he thinks is ground is the best. Wouldn't it be good to start getting behind other clubs rather than putting them down. Then things might start to prosper.

4 grounds I have watched games in. Been outside terryland and flancare, seen athlone from the outside does that count?!?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    define football complex like! Think wexford admire there "complex" too much
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I was talking to a few Harps guys after they played in Wexford and they said everything about the set up was phenomenal. They also told a brilliant story about Hegarty ripping into Dolan for walking into the changing rooms after the game. A "who the feck do you think you are... and as for the 3,000 people you let down in Derry ya bufoon" rant.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    I was talking to a few Harps guys after they played in Wexford and they said everything about the set up was phenomenal. They also told a brilliant story about Hegarty ripping into Dolan for walking into the changing rooms after the game. A "who the feck do you think you are... and as for the 3,000 people you let down in Derry ya bufoon" rant.
    Higsy is a legand.
    No1 is doubting wexford have an outstanding complex, BUT what annoys me is people claiming other clubs have no ambition and foresight. If we all had the choice we would have stadia with 40k plus capacity with crowds to fill them, its foresight thats makes us build grounds to cater for 6,500 to 10k crowds and ambition is to fill them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Higsy is a legand.
    No1 is doubting wexford have an outstanding complex, BUT what annoys me is people claiming other clubs have no ambition and foresight. If we all had the choice we would have stadia with 40k plus capacity with crowds to fill them, its foresight thats makes us build grounds to cater for 6,500 to 10k crowds and ambition is to fill them.
    Correct
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast