Sligo Rovers manager Sean Connor feels his reluctance to rush Harpal Singh into the first-team picture at the Showgrounds has helped the former Leeds United trainee make a major impact for the club in recent weeks.

Singh, who spent time at Bury and Stockport County after leaving Leeds, has been in fine form in Sligo’s charge up the eircom League Premier Division table.

The Bit O’Red are currently in fifth place, level on points with defending champions Cork City and just nine adrift of leaders Shelbourne, after a run of five wins in their last eight league games.

Having also booked their place in the last eight of the FAI Carlsberg Cup, things are looking up for Rovers - and Connor has been pleased with the contribution of Singh, who scored both goals in the weekend victory over Longford Town.

He told the Irish Sun: “Last year I think Paul Brown was a victim of me putting him straight into the team. I learnt my lesson with Tim McCann and then I did the same with Harpal and Brian Cash.”

He added: “I think Harpal is getting stronger and stronger with every game. People have to remember that he didn’t do a pre-season. The two pieces of genius at Longford – that’s the quality you get from him.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier...p?newsid=24319