10 Posts

Red face Formation and team against Sweden

Kenny

Joey OB, Dunne, O'Shea,

Finnan, Lawrence, S Reid, Duffer,

Ireland,

Keane, Doyle.

Subs, Kenny, Kilbane, Miller, A O.Brien, Elliott

This would make a change anyway....your thoughts...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would not play the 3 5 2 as I think its a disaster in my view

I would play this team

Given

O Brien O Brien Dunne Finnan

Lawrence Kavanagh Reid Duff

Doyle Keane

I would bring Ireland on at half time along with Stephen kelly also
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was thinking along the lines of 4-4-2 with a change to how the midfield actually lines up. I think we've had width for a long time now but haven't had the personnel upfront to make it work effectively, so I'm purposing something different although purely as a matter of trying it out in a friendly

Given

O'Brien, OBrien, Dunne, Finnan

O'Shea

KIlbane, Kavanagh

Duff

Keane, Doyle

The idea would be to be solid at the back with O'Shea marshalling in front of the defence where any mistakes made are still retrivable. It also allows him to slot in any where along the back line should O'Brien or Finnan make a burst forward as you would like them to do in this type of formation to provide the width. Kilbane & Kavanagh will be the work horses, something both are particulary good at and I think both have a decent passing range. I'd like to see Duff get more of the ball in this position as it's infinetly much harder to pick him up or mark him out of the game here - as to do it requires a formation change from the opposition. Keane & Doyle will feed off the runs of Duff and longer passing range of Kavanagh.

Would be interested to see how it would work out.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good Post Karlos not sure about Kilbane and Kavanagh I would like to see Stephen Reid maybe as I think he has a great engine and is a better passer than Kilbane.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    I was thinking along the lines of 4-4-2 with a change to how the midfield actually lines up. I think we've had width for a long time now but haven't had the personnel upfront to make it work effectively, so I'm purposing something different although purely as a matter of trying it out in a friendly

Given

O'Brien, OBrien, Dunne, Finnan

O'Shea

KIlbane, Kavanagh

Duff

Keane, Doyle

The idea would be to be solid at the back with O'Shea marshalling in front of the defence where any mistakes made are still retrivable. It also allows him to slot in any where along the back line should O'Brien or Finnan make a burst forward as you would like them to do in this type of formation to provide the width. Kilbane & Kavanagh will be the work horses, something both are particulary good at and I think both have a decent passing range. I'd like to see Duff get more of the ball in this position as it's infinetly much harder to pick him up or mark him out of the game here - as to do it requires a formation change from the opposition. Keane & Doyle will feed off the runs of Duff and longer passing range of Kavanagh.

Would be interested to see how it would work out.

I don't think we've had true width for a while now. A.Reid on the right didn't give us much width. I think one of our problems has been a left footed right winger and a right footed left back.
    Wingers don't neccessarily have to whip in high crosses. A good low cross is nearly as good as a high one. I think we have players in Keane, Elliott and maybe Doyle to lose their markers and get onto a low cross.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Given (c)

Finnan OBrien Dunne Harte

Ireland Reid Kavanagh Duff

Keane Doyle

Wouldve like to see McCarthy in the squad to see how he fares out at centre-half.
    Maybe bring on OBrien for Harte later on and move finnan across to see if that would work (I doubt it) and Lawrence for Ireland, need to start putting together a midfield partnership so give reid and kavanagh the 90mins.
    Give Kenny a half as well and have Keane or Dunne as vice-captain.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    My side would be

Given(C)

Finnan O'Brien Dunne Harte

Lawrence Reid Kavanagh Duff

Doyle Keane

I think thats a well balanced side.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster
    My side would be

Given(C)

Finnan O'Brien Dunne Harte

Lawrence Reid Kavanagh Duff

Doyle Keane

I think thats a well balanced side.
    yeah would go for the above myself ..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I'd probably go with Neil's XI for this game, or Colster's (though I have the usual doubts about Harte) but, like Karlos, I think we could give up some of our usual width, build a solid midfield and have an advanced midfielder play off the front two. Classic 4-3-1-2. Kav holding, flanked by S. Reid and AN Other on the left, Duff free with Robbie & Doyle upfront.

Steve Reid has to be in on current form. My only concern about the 3 man midfield is that it'd be more than likely to involve Kilbane on the left of the 3, with Duff playing the free role. I just feel KK's days as an automatic starter are gone.

Lots of options really. We have loads of players capable of adding some guile behind the front 2 (Duff, A. Reid, McGeady, Ireland, Kavanagh or Robbie even) but maybe we can bring the best out of any of these in our usual formation.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 16/02/2006 at 3:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well Stuttgart I play Robbie just behind myself and Kevin Doyle on Pro Evoluation and it won me the World Cup.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Well Stuttgart I play Robbie just behind myself and Kevin Doyle on Pro Evoluation and it won me the World Cup.
    There you go!
    Robbie drops so deep anyway it's hard to say that he couldn't play with, say, Doyle & Elliott as more orthodox forwards.

By and large I'd say just set the team out as 4-4-2 but if they can all develop an understanding and play as a team then there's no reason why the shape of the team should be rigid throughout a game. I think we've got some pretty decent players. I think a Lawrence -Reid - Kav - Duff midfield has a good look to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think we've had true width for a while now. A.Reid on the right didn't give us much width. I think one of our problems has been a left footed right winger and a right footed left back.
    Wingers don't neccessarily have to whip in high crosses. A good low cross is nearly as good as a high one. I think we have players in Keane, Elliott and maybe Doyle to lose their markers and get onto a low cross.
    I diasgree slightly with this, but only slightly! . I feel we've always had width in our game it just hasn't been utilised effectively or has been shut down by the opposition as it has with Duff so many times in the last campaign. It really doesn't matter which foot the player uses as the concept of width is to stretch the opposition & open up the middle of the park to runners. The Arsenal Team before this season was probably one of the greatest teams at utilising width and they played two right footers on the left wing in Henry & Pires.

When that outlet is shut out of our game we have absolutely no creativity down the middle of the team i.e. we don't have a Scholes or a Sheringham or a Lampard. I feel O'Brien and Finnan could give us the same level of width we have recieved and Duff could move inside where it's difficult to pick him up and be our playmaker without destabiling our central midfield defensive duties. Our forward players from what I have seen of them, thrive off running onto balls inbetween defenders that Duff could feed.

We have a lively attacking option that should be difficult to pick up however when we insist on constantly going wide to try and get balls swung into the box either at height or low, they are far easier to pick up or the crosser gets shut down very early as has been happening with Duff (who is undoubtedly a world class crosser) making us need to pass inside to our uncreative centre.

In essence the change I'm initiating is that when Finnan gets shut down wide, the ball is coming into a talented player in Duff as opposed to what happened in the last campaign when the balls came back into Keane, Kavanagh or Kilbane to play sideways or backwards.

As i said, it's just a thought and something I'd like to see explored but not in a qualifying game. However I fully expect us to go 4-4-2 and I think the team you selcted Colster is proabaly the one we'll see
    Last edited by Karlos; 16/02/2006 at 3:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ...........................Given

.............A.O'Brien Dunne

Finnan Harte

......................O'Brien

..........S.Reid Duff

......................Ireland

................Doyle Robbie

this would be the team if we could play football but unfortunately we play the british style,hoofing the ****ing thing.
    Last edited by jorge; 16/02/2006 at 6:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jorge
    Given

McCarthy Dunne

Finnan Harte

O'Brien

S.Reid Duff

Ireland

Doyle Robbie
    Mc Carthy is not in the squad.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    I diasgree slightly with this, but only slightly! . I feel we've always had width in our game it just hasn't been utilised effectively or has been shut down by the opposition as it has with Duff so many times in the last campaign. It really doesn't matter which foot the player uses as the concept of width is to stretch the opposition & open up the middle of the park to runners. The Arsenal Team before this season was probably one of the greatest teams at utilising width and they played two right footers on the left wing in Henry & Pires.

When that outlet is shut out of our game we have absolutely no creativity down the middle of the team i.e. we don't have a Scholes or a Sheringham or a Lampard. I feel O'Brien and Finnan could give us the same level of width we have recieved and Duff could move inside where it's difficult to pick him up and be our playmaker without destabiling our central midfield defensive duties. Our forward players from what I have seen of them, thrive off running onto balls inbetween defenders that Duff could feed.

We have a lively attacking option that should be difficult to pick up however when we insist on constantly going wide to try and get balls swung into the box either at height or low, they are far easier to pick up or the crosser gets shut down very early as has been happening with Duff (who is undoubtedly a world class crosser) making us need to pass inside to our uncreative centre.

In essence the change I'm initiating is that when Finnan gets shut down wide, the ball is coming into a talented player in Duff as opposed to what happened in the last campaign when the balls came back into Keane, Kavanagh or Kilbane to play sideways or backwards.

As i said, it's just a thought and something I'd like to see explored but not in a qualifying game.
    I think all this talk about formations is wrong. We should play in a way that is comfortable to the players and gives them the best platform to excel in.
    We have 4 very good wingers (Duff, A.Reid, Lawrence, McGeady) and good attacking full backs (Finnan, Harte). 4-4-2 is the best option. 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 is another but we should use the wingers we have.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    we should use the wingers we have.
    The point I've been trying to make is that during the last campaign with Keane & KK in central midfield, our midfield was nothing but a vehicle to get the ball out wide. As we had no threat through the centre it was easy for the opposition to negate our wide players. One possible solution to this is to have a more solid midfield three with a creative player just ahead of them. Just a thought. If I could pick one major tactical weakness in the last campaign it was our inability to create anything whatsoever from central midfield and rectifying this is a big challenge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    We have to use our wingers, its the one area we are overloaded with talent. Our only real weakness is an outstanding centre half. Our defence has always been my concern, lapses in concentration has cost cost us dearly.

I'd go for a 442

Given

O Brien O Brien Dunne Finnan

Lawrence S Reid Ireland Duff

Doyle Keano

I have gone for youth and got rid of the old guard but now is the time to have faith in the young lads. The friendly with Sweden is time to try them out and see how they fare against a team preparing for the World Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    The point I've been trying to make is that during the last campaign with Keane & KK in central midfield, our midfield was nothing but a vehicle to get the ball out wide. As we had no threat through the centre it was easy for the opposition to negate our wide players. One possible solution to this is to have a more solid midfield three with a creative player just ahead of them. Just a thought. If I could pick one major tactical weakness in the last campaign it was our inability to create anything whatsoever from central midfield and rectifying this is a big challenge.
    That's basically what I was trying to say in a far more round-about cyrptic way!

It's an option we should explore even if it's only to find out it doesn't suit us. I'd hate to see us make the same mistakes again.
    Last edited by Karlos; 16/02/2006 at 3:51 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Maybe the answer is as simple has having Steven Reid in midfield. He has all the running power of Kilbane & uses the ball better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I agree Stuttgart I think that Reid could be the key in this campaign I think a midfield of Kavanagh and Reid in the centre is solid and a good blend of experience and athleticism. It is also on form at the moment too.
    In Trap we trust

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast