Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland v Switzerland - Pre-match discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    i cant understand why o'brien was dropped from the team. he came on at ht against italy and our defence was miles better in the second half. what has he done wrong?? he should be brought in on wednesday. have to agree about cunningham looking off the pace but his leadership qualities, although not evident last night, would be badly missed

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    here will be no need to drop Kenny Cinninghamh after this campaign
    he has made it clear a long time ago that this will be his last campaign
    the swiss game on Wednesday will very likely be his last for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    It was obvious something was up with the CB pairing last night and I don't think it was all down to Cunningham. Although Dunne seems to be playing well for his club and is potentially a much better player I haven't heard much about O'Brien at Pompey, which has to be good because if he was making bad mistakes every week we'd know all about it. In the 3 recent games Dunne has played the Italians ran us ragged, he could of arguably closed Henry down a bit quicker for the goal in the French game and he gave away a clear-cut penalty last night. O'Brien has don't nothing wrong and our defence was much more solid when he came on against Italy. He and Cunningham have a great record together and I think he should be brought back for the Swiss game. In a 4-4-2, just like the striking pair, the CB pair work much better when they have a good understanding and does not always work best if you pair the best individual players. Dunne will get his chance again after Kenny retires.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 09/10/2005 at 12:33 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    when will there be news about duff although i am not holding out much hope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I heard he has a jarred knee. And will miss the Swiss match.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting article here about the mindset of both the Swiss and the French after last nights results:

From http://football.guardian.co.uk/break...332069,00.html

Faltering France now need a favour from Ireland
    By Pierre Serisier
    PARIS, Oct 9 (Reuters) - Frustrated France are relying on Ireland to do them a favour when the teams play their respective final World Cup qualifiers in the extraordinarily close European Group Four on Wednesday.
    The French, held to a disappointing 1-1 draw in Bern on Saturday, now need to beat Cyprus in their last outing in Paris but will top the group only if the Swiss do not win in Dublin.
    Ireland, beaten at home by France last month, can finish second with victory - or still take the group in the French unexpectedly slip. Even Israel are still in with an outside chance, though they need France to lose.
    France led through a 51st-minute Djibril goal but were pegged back when Ludovic Magnin's free kick flew in off the head of French defender Lilian Thuram 11 minutes from time to spark a late Swiss surge that had the 1998 world champions clinging on.
    Coach Raymond Domenech, visibly upset by the result, said that "nothing is over yet" but knows his proteges do not have their destiny in their hands anymore.
    After failing to snatch the win they were chasing to secure a direct berth for the next year's event in Germany the atmosphere in the French camp is low.
    "It was really gloomy in the changing rooms," said goalkeeper Gregory Coupet after the game. "It's obviously a bad result for us.
    "We came here to win and we ended up with a rather lucky draw. This is frustrating," he said.
    Infuriated defender William Gallas refused to speak after the game other than to say he was not in a mood to answer any questions.
    "We hoped to play much better," Coupet added. "We were not good tonight. There is no reason for us to celebrate. Now we have to beat Cyprus, knowing that it may not be enough."
    To finish at the top of Group Four France have to hope Switzerland do not repeat the feat they achieved when they qualified for the 2004 European championship.
    TIRED ZIDANE
    "We won there (in Ireland) two years ago," said defender Ludovic Magnin, who scored a late equaliser for his side on Saturday. "There is no reason that we can't do it again.
    "We, the little Swiss, are not going to let us gobbled up easily. We don't even want to think about finishing second," he said. "We are only aiming at the top spot."
    If the Swiss win at Lansdowne Road, France would have to score four more than their rivals to overhaul them on goal-difference after drawing both their head to head games.
    Such a performance, even against Cyprus, seems very unlikely for a French team plagued by injuries and who are having to cope with a tired Zinedine Zidane and who have managed just 10 goals so far and five of those against the Faroe Islands.
    France have not reached a World Cup finals via group qualification since 1986 when they were led by inspirational number 10 Michel Platini.
    Now, they have only two days to recover and to prepare for the a do-or-die outing.
    "We are going to rest for the next two days," Domenech said. "We will start to prepare for the game from Tuesday. We will have to be a good shape because we will need to score goals."
    France, on an unbeaten run of 14 matches, are still to win at the Stade de France since Domenech was appointed in July 2004.
    "The match against Cyprus is sold out," he said. "I hope that we will be able to count on a support like the Swiss were given by their fans."

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Disaster Stations

Was none too impressed at all last night, shocking perforamance, we were on the back foot all the time, didn't see the stats, but regardless of the score, we were hammered.
    Fair play to Cyprus, they were on fire, God knows what might have happened had Shaybo not been on form..... The swiss held the French twice which was more than we could do, even the Israelis....I don't know that we are actually worthy of a place in the finals. If we beat the Swiss it'll be nothing short of a miracle, at the end of the day, if we can't we don't deserve to go to Germany.

The quality in the squad is dwindling big time, but from whats available I'd probably go with

Given

Carr Cunningham OBrien Harte

Finnan Holland OShea Reid

Elliott Morrison

As far as I'm concerned, Duff is no loss, he hasn't performed for Ireland as long as I can recall, and Keane is below par aswell, Have him as a super sub, if things aren't looking good at half time, switch to 4-3-3 with Keane also up front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

SIZE> small | medium | large

Duff injury a worry for Kerr ahead of final clash with Switzerland
    09/10/2005 - 14:34:02

Damien Duff is a major doubt for Wednesday's final World Cup qualifier against Switzerland at Lansdowne Road.

The Chelsea winger hobbled off the pitch during Ireland's slender 1-0 win over Cyprus last night, and now needs a scan to determine the seriousness of the injury.

A win over the Swiss would see Brian Kerr's men gain at least a World Cup play-off place.

Meanwhile, England are automatically through as the best-placed European runner-up.

Togo, Angola, the Ivory Coast, and Ghana all qualified last night for their first ever World Cup.
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/10/09/story224587.html
    They dont say whats wrong with him but i think its not good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quick question guys, I'm a bit hazy on this one. Assuming that France beat Cyprus, if Ireland draw with Switerland who gets the play-off place, the Swiss or Israel? What I'm basically getting at is do the Swiss have to come to Lansdowne looking for all 3 points or will a draw do them? Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bit O'Red
    Quick question guys, I'm a bit hazy on this one. Assuming that France beat Cyprus, if Ireland draw with Switerland who gets the play-off place, the Swiss or Israel? What I'm basically getting at is do the Swiss have to come to Lansdowne looking for all 3 points or will a draw do them? Thanks.
    This would see the Swiss in the play-offs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I would be tempted to make 3 changes in the back 4 but would hold off on replacing Carr with Finnan. The other option would be to replace O'Shea with Finnan, but Harte should be up for this game I think and his dead ball skills are a definite plus. Dunne loses out narrowly to O'Brien.

Given

Carr Cunningham O'Brien Harte

Holland made his case ( not a strong one ) against Cyprus and I have never understood Finnan playing in midfield for Ireland or Liverpool, certainly not in a home game - Reid is a better option and he could always thump in a goal. I am assuming Duff is injured, it is an uninspiring midfield, I feel Kerr has been remiss in not giving more time to Alan Quinn:

S.Reid Kavanagh Holland A.Reid

I feel like dropping Robbie but will stick with him

Keane Morrison

It is essentail to play up-tempo and take the game to the Swiss, if we score first we have to work even harder than before, we cannot give them time or space. We have to be physical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Zulu
    and Keane is below par aswell, Have him as a super sub, if things aren't looking good at half time, switch to 4-3-3 with Keane also up front.
    unfortunately he would most likely just sulk and make little impact when brought on. i cant believe that no-one has grabbed this lad by the collar and told him whats what long ago. seems to spend most of his time falling over and complaining to the ref. terrible waste

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We need the win more than the Swiss as a draw will get them into the Play-offs. Therefore we should be the aggresive attacking side on Wednesday. My team would be Given
    Carr Dunne O'Brien O'Shea
    Holland Kavanagh A Reid
    Keane
    Morrison Elliott
    Playing Keane in front of our midfield supporting the front 2 is his best position IMO. Its an attack minded formation and one Ireland should always adopt at home.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Swiss over-confidence?

Fair enough to the swiss they got a good result against the french and they have a good record against us in the last few years....thats a fact BUT
    they are missing their 'roy keane' hakin yakin who scored in the last 3 games against us.... I do notice they have got a few decent young players but decent at best not world beaters. I know we are missing our 2 best players on paper but as its been stated duff is NOT on form recently and I think he would of been marked out of the game anyway.

When they beat us before we were in a shambles - no direction and clueless.
    After saturdays result we are like that BUT or performances so far in group have in general been good with the odd ( but expensive) lapses here and there. I think its very 50/50 for this game

In my opinion our one truly world class player has to have another stormer in goal......and the midfield needs to turn up, graft and fight for everything. It will not be pretty but f*ck pretty.....get stuck in from minute 1 and maybe just maybe miracles can happen....I have a feeling we might do it but i am an optimist

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope we do but I cant see us beating the swiss on Wednesday. It must be a case of us looking for a 1 0 win which would get us into the play offs where we have such a great record (cant we fix it so we get someone from outside Europe again )

I think, even though it wont happen, robbie should be on the bench.

Elliot has bags of confidence, has come off a good Faroes match with a match winner in Cyprus and should start. It makes since to have Robbie come off the bench. Clinton has played regularly at Palace and is match fit, unlike Keane who has played f**k all this season. Would like to see him come off the bench (which is practically what he has done this year and scored winners). I think he would be a big impact in the last 30 mins rather than over 90.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Mountie, I'd go with that team except I'd drop the invisible man for Steven Reid.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Brine3, glad to here it you can be my Chris Hughton anytime. HEH HEH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Well well well. Where to start? First time in God knows how long I watched a match without any booze in the system and that made things worse.

The back four were poor. There have been countless times on this board where Andy O'Brien has been slated over supposed lapses in concentration and the cause of Richard Dune championed to death. But tell me this: How many mistakes has Andy O'Brien made in this campaign? I don't think he has made any. Dunne on the other hand has played the last three games, has been brutal in two (incl being subbed at h/t in one) and was arguably at fault for Henry's goal (yes I know it was magic but he did back off and didn't close him down).

John O'Shea has been discussed to death. everyone knows he should be dropped. It's his position and who should replace him that should be debated. It's between Harte and Finnan and I'd like to see Finnan tried there. He is out of position on the RHM. People can say what they want about Harte's ability from the set-piece but we have Andy Reid and he is the best player ever to play for Ireland and he is left footed too so we don't need Hartey.

In midfield KK's time is up. He was brutal and its lucky that Reid is available. Kav was poor but then again he didn't have a partner for an hour. Hopefully he will improve against the Swiss.

I'd like to see Stevie Reid given a chance. He's a big pacy lad and he might be just what we need on Weds.

Can't believe I'm gonna say this but Holland really steadied the ship. I and many others had felt he was poor since the WC 2002 but he relaly held us together on Sat when he came on. To start in place of Kilbane imho.

As for the front two? Can you drop your best outfield player from Sat, a player full of confidence who scored our only goal and looked lively generally? I don't think we can.
    I do think Robbie can and should be dropped but I don't see it happening.

Pick 2 from Elliot, Keane, and Morrison. I bet BK will pick the incorrect two.

Also, David Connolly looked exceptionally interested when he came on and made a mockery of Keane's efforts for the 8 mins or so he was on the pitch
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    My team would be

Given

Finnan Cunningham OBrien Harte

S. Reid Holland Kavanagh A. Reid

Elliott Morrison

Most contentious decision would be to drop Robbie. Elliott has to play and Morrison has more first team football lately than Robbie. Also I have never seen Morrison give less than 100% for Ireland.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Tbh lads, we all know Kerr is neither going to drop O'Shea or Keane and in fairness Keane is our top scorer and is due a big game so prob right to leave him there. Kilbane prob should be dropped but bar an injury he wont, he's just not the same in midfield w/o Roy.
    Kerrs team imo will be:
    Given
    Carr, Dunne, Cunningham, O'Shea
    Finnan, Kavanagh, Kilbane, Reid,
    Morrison, Keane

I for one think Stevie Reid should start on the right but i cant see Kerr making too many changes, also Harte should be worth a risk, even if just for his set piece deliveries.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast