Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LOI fixtures Friday 23rd & Sat 24th Sept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post

I haven't seen Bohemians play in ages. Are they likely to be challenging for a place in the top 4 in the next few years?
    Not a chance I'm afraid. The way the club is planning for the next couple seasons, we'll be in a relegation dogfight in my opinion. Maybe post Dalymount redevelopment but that's a long way down the road...

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Enjoyable game in oriel last night. Getting the three points was the main thing but it was good to get it playing some nice stuff. Derry have the nucleus of a good team there and they came to play football aswell which contributed to the end to end nature of the game. I though McEniff in the middle had a pretty good game for Derry. Horgan was obviously the stand out player, I thought he could have gotten a goal at times if he was a bit more selfish.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Enjoyable game in oriel last night. Getting the three points was the main thing but it was good to get it playing some nice stuff. Derry have the nucleus of a good team there and they came to play football aswell which contributed to the end to end nature of the game. I though McEniff in the middle had a pretty good game for Derry. Horgan was obviously the stand out player, I thought he could have gotten a goal at times if he was a bit more selfish.
    I only got to see the first half, but I have to say it was a very enjoyable game to watch. End to end and both teams playing great football. Was very impressed with Horgan too not many can get near him when he goes on one of his runs so unpredictable.

Got my hopes up when Derry went ahead but the gap now back to eight points and the pressure back on us now. Never easy in the showgrounds but we are on a good run and I'm confident we can get another vital win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I though McEniff in the middle had a pretty good game for Derry. Horgan was obviously the stand out player, I thought he could have gotten a goal at times if he was a bit more selfish.
    McEneff has had a great season now.
    Disappointing result, though not entirely unexpected. Even at one up, I didn't think we'd hold out for a point. Dundalk are great, and after they got their first, there was only going to be one result.
    Horgan was great, as usual. Can't see him staying in the league for long.

As an aside, I've always enjoyed trips to Oriel, despite the view, but it's becoming less of a welcoming place. We landed down early, but weren't allowed into the Lilywhite for a pint, "it's closed because of Shamrock Rovers", we were told. Weird thing for them to come out with, as the bar was clearly open, and no indication of what Rovers allegedly did. The toilets are pretty bad, how come the older ones are now closed? Added to all that, we were kept behind for five minutes after the match. Barriers up, line of gardaí, all seemed very over the top. It's a pity that it's gone that way, and it will put people off going.
    Oh, and the curry sauce from the chip van is severely lacking in flavour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

As an aside, I've always enjoyed trips to Oriel, despite the view, but it's becoming less of a welcoming place. We landed down early, but weren't allowed into the Lilywhite for a pint, "it's closed because of Shamrock Rovers", we were told. Weird thing for them to come out with, as the bar was clearly open, and no indication of what Rovers allegedly did. The toilets are pretty bad, how come the older ones are now closed? Added to all that, we were kept behind for five minutes after the match. Barriers up, line of gardaí, all seemed very over the top. It's a pity that it's gone that way, and it will put people off going.
    The Gardai went overboard because the match was being televised. All sorts of ridiculous instructions like keeping Derry fans back and not allowing them into the bar. As you know, Dundalk operate a flexible policy with these matters. Certain clubs like Derry and Sligo (among others) are considered friendly and get easy access to bars and into the home section of the stand.

The old ground is badly in need of investment. No one goes there for the comfort, that is for sure.

I'm upset about the curry sauce. There is no excuse for that.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    What has happened with Sligo that these last three seasons that they have gone from 4 seasons in-a-row being in the top 3 to being midtable?

I haven't seen Bohemians play in ages. Are they likely to be challenging for a place in the top 4 in the next few years?

On a surface level the league seems to have 4 groups; the top 2, the next 2, a group of 5 in and around midtable and finally the bottom 3.

While people seem to criticise the first division's quality, and I do not doubt that that is merited, it can't be too bad at the same time when two teams were promoted from it last year. The standard of the top 4 from the first division can't be that far behind the bottom 3 of the premier?
    No chance of Bohs challenging in the next few years, their curren team is dull as sin and was only saved early season by the flair of Ben Mohamed who is now gone. With the move to the new stadium being the main focus its unlikely they will be able to build any sort of challenge before then or even in the early days in the new stadium.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    We had an awful start to the season and have continued to be dull enough with or without Ben Mohomad.Good enough though for 6th 7th place this year and twenty odd points ahead of you
    I think that our performances against Longford have been three of our five worst ones this season,.
    Agree that focus will be on the new stadium and budget will be down when we move to Tolka but wouldn't take a huge amount for us to be challenging for third place over the next two years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    We had an awful start to the season and have continued to be dull enough with or without Ben Mohomad.Good enough though for 6th 7th place this year and twenty odd points ahead of you
    I think that our performances against Longford have been three of our five worst ones this season,.
    Agree that focus will be on the new stadium and budget will be down when we move to Tolka but wouldn't take a huge amount for us to be challenging for third place over the next two years
    Don't think a 6th place finish is anything to shout about in this League. Finishing 6th last season was a disaster for us as it papered over the cracks and allowed cousins free reign for so long this season.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    No chance of Bohs challenging in the next few years, their curren team is dull as sin and was only saved early season by the flair of Ben Mohamed who is now gone. With the move to the new stadium being the main focus its unlikely they will be able to build any sort of challenge before then or even in the early days in the new stadium.
    I think those black and red stripes on your Jersey have got you mixed up as to who you support. Yes we are average enough but this black and red striped team will still be in the Premier next season. Would be more worried about the performances, or lack thereof of your own side. Sure you'll have plenty of time to think about it in the 1st next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I think those black and red stripes on your Jersey have got you mixed up as to who you support. Yes we are average enough but this black and red striped team will still be in the Premier next season. Would be more worried about the performances, or lack thereof of your own side. Sure you'll have plenty of time to think about it in the 1st next year.
    Can say what you like about us, we had 1 shot on target all night and you barely looked the better side. Took a set piece to beat us. Dreadful match, two dreadful sides. Bohs will be in trouble over the next few seasons judging by their form this season regardless of a 5th/6th place finish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Very disappointing result tonight 2 massive dropped points could be pivotal in the title race. Still a game in hand Tuesday but dundalk would still be 5 ahead. Very frustrating

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Very disappointing result tonight 2 massive dropped points could be pivotal in the title race. Still a game in hand Tuesday but dundalk would still be 5 ahead. Very frustrating
    Not an easy place to get three points. Sligo seemed to have the measure of Cork this year, every team has a side they struggle against. Cork might look on that point as a good result at the end of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Not an easy place to get three points. Sligo seemed to have the measure of Cork this year, every team has a side they struggle against. Cork might look on that point as a good result at the end of the season.
    Yeah never easy up there. It would be a great point if we end up beating ye in a few weeks time. After all, we have been the team that seem to have the measure of ye this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    It's a funny old game

Thank you sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Yeah never easy up there. It would be a great point if we end up beating ye in a few weeks time. After all, we have been the team that seem to have the measure of ye this year
    Thats a fact. Still a lot of football to be played. I rather have the five points cushion though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Ye'll be 4 points behind. Guess you're adding the extra point due to goal difference. It's definitely advantage Dundalk. Cork will have to beat Dundalk in a few weeks to crank up the pressure.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    McEneff has had a great season now.
    Disappointing result, though not entirely unexpected. Even at one up, I didn't think we'd hold out for a point. Dundalk are great, and after they got their first, there was only going to be one result.
    Horgan was great, as usual. Can't see him staying in the league for long.

Disappointing to hear as Derry fans are usually always accommodated in the Lilywhite lounge, maybe you were in the ground? as I saw a good few Derry fans in the upstairs bar at HT. I always recommend away fans if it suits them to go to the stand, extra fiver but full access to the bar and better options for toilets and food and drink. On the match, I was impressed with Derry, its clear to see why they are 3rd, and definitely one of the better sides to visit this season.

On tonight's match, I thought it would be tough for Cork, but expected a narrow win for them, decent result for Sligo and I think that's them unbeaten now v Cork all season? There will be more twists and turns for sure for both Cork and Dlk but for now its advantage Dundalk, but that's all it is really.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I was impressed with Derry, its clear to see why they are 3rd
    They're 4th

Until Tuesday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They're 4th

Until Tuesday
    Bit harsh....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Certain clubs like Derry and Sligo (among others) are considered friendly and get easy access to bars and into the home section of the stand.
    Hasn't been the case for the last season or two.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast