Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longford Person of the Year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Longford Person of the Year

Well done to all involved in the clubs players management etc on winning the award last night!
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    was listenin to shannonside earlier today a lot of people unhappy about our club geting the award! lady caller called whinging that our players were only playing for the money and ltfc has never donated anything to charity!

well excuse me what about the countless volunteers who spend their spare hours to advance the club! that is charity you know!

to lady caller! what a load of bullsh%t
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    oh she wasnt the only one! alot of texts in also! but infairness alot of people rang in to put her in her place!
    Begrudgers you get them everywhere, its alive and well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    She was probably singing the praises of the GAAH lads getting no money im guessing.... the Town players have put this town and county on the map and have gained many new followers and have proved that small town teams can win things and are an inspiration to us all. We have proved we're not just some team from the backarse of nowhere, we're proved that yes it can be possible to beat the Dublin clubs and the traditional big clubs. To us they are sporting heroes, and the award is well deserved!
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Plenty of donations to GOAL have come from LTFC, the players especially Kirby and Prunty give up time for numerous local causes, Kirby is a hero to the organisers of the Aisling festival, besides it was the club that won it not the team, the hard work of those involved lifted the whole community of Longford according to the judges so fluck the begrudgers and well done to LTFC.. I hate the people of this town and county sometimes, they only go to cup finals and wont give any credit for what has been achieved in the past few years, how many other good things have come out of Longford recently, not too feckin many..
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian
    Plenty of donations to GOAL have come from LTFC, the players especially Kirby and Prunty give up time for numerous local causes, Kirby is a hero to the organisers of the Aisling festival, besides it was the club that won it not the team, the hard work of those involved lifted the whole community of Longford according to the judges so fluck the begrudgers and well done to LTFC.. I hate the people of this town and county sometimes, they only go to cup finals and wont give any credit for what has been achieved in the past few years, how many other good things have come out of Longford recently, not too feckin many..
    I did an interview with Sean Prunty it will be on onefinlongford.com soon but he mentions the sunshiners etc! so it does get to them also!
    One person rang to say that if longford gaa won anything it wouldn be an award twud be an f***in miracle!! brilliant!
    Many rang to acknowledge the work the lads do after the game ends on the field such as the fundraising for GOAL etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PAURO 7
    She was probably singing the praises of the GAAH lads getting no money im guessing.... the Town players have put this town and county on the map and have gained many new followers and have proved that small town teams can win things and are an inspiration to us all. We have proved we're not just some team from the backarse of nowhere, we're proved that yes it can be possible to beat the Dublin clubs and the traditional big clubs. To us they are sporting heroes, and the award is well deserved!

Well said Pauro. We've been long enough waiting for the GAAH lads to deliver and they never have and probably never will. Whether Luke Dempsey and co can turn things around on the playing pitch remains to be seen but I doubt it very much. Anyway, whether we like it or not it's plain and simple- we don't have the pool of players or resources within County Longford to mount a challenge for any kind of silverware. A population of 30,000 including 5,000 refugees speaks for itself . LTFC have put Longford Town and County on the map and have given us a sporting and cultural identity. They are the pride of the midlands and Matthews and his red and black army are fully entitled to this award.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    LTFC got Longford person of the year? Is somebody extracting the urine here?

While I'm a big fan of the club, I'm not sure if the award is merited. For starters, I can't think of too many of the team who actually come from Longford. I was listening to Shannonside a few weeks ago. They announced that they had an interview with "local man" Sean Prunty. Now I don't live in Longford anymore but I didn't realise that Longford has recently become part of the Greater Dublin Area and that people in my home county now talk like Jackeens. I thought that the reprter had made a mistake when he said there was an interview with Sean Prunty because the fella I heard had a true Dublin accent. I know this is a contentious issue but if Sean Prunty is the closest thing we have to a Longford man in the starting team, then I don't think we should be giving them a Longford person of the year award. Now I know the competition isn't great but surely it would have made more sense to give the award to Jim Hanley or Donal Keogh, men who deserve to be recognised and men who will never leave Longford Town FC.
    BTW, this is not intended as a personal attack on any LTFC player, as I feel they have done the club and county proud this season.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's only a Micky Mouse award anyway!

Longford Person of The Year how are ya!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillo

Another piece of silverware I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the thing is theres probably more longford in mickey mouse than the entire ltfc team put together.
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, that's beside the point entirely. Do all Bohemians players hail from the Greater Phibsboro area?! How many members of the current Chelsea team come from Stamford and the Greater London area?? It's totally irrelevant. That's the beauty of the Beautiful Game. Imagine Robbie Keane still in the colours of Tallaght Town or Belvedere or whoever. Doubt he'd have met in with Claudine if that were still the case!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, that's beside the point entirely. Do all Bohemians players hail from the Greater Phibsboro area?! How many members of the current Chelsea team come from Stamford and the Greater London area?? It's totally irrelevant. That's the beauty of the Beautiful Game. Imagine Robbie Keane still in the colours of Tallaght Town or Belvedere or whoever. Doubt he'd have met in with Claudine if that were still the case!

very good point dillo have to agree with you on that one.
    makes the game better but also causes small clubs with low budgets to die out.
    imagine if all the bohs team were locals.
    u'd have 11 antos takin to the field every week with a few more sittin on the bench wait for their name sake to get injured.
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's a good point Dillo. Don't think Robbie will be too upset if Ken Livinston beats him in the competition for London Person of the Year. I am an esteemed resident in Blackrock but I wouldn't be expecting to get Blackrock Person of the Year. In a similar way, Max Power wouldn't expect to get Inchicore person of the year. Actuallly, you never know...
    We all accept that footballers can play for any club and show commitment. That doesn't bother us when we support LTFC. However, if you ask the players where they're from, I doubt too many of them will say Longford, possibly with the exception of Eric Lavine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The award was for Longford Town FC Club. It was not exclusively for the players - the entire club. The award was in recognition of what the club have brought to the Co Longford community as a whole and was an acknowledgement of the voluntary effort that goes on behind the scenes at the club to make it such a success.

Sean Prunty's family live in Ballinalee. I believe that he grew up in Dublin, hence the accent.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Right enough town73 it was an award to the club as I said above[SIZE=5]not[/SIZE] the team, these people have given up more than you will ever know to keep LTFC on the go and are duly enjoying some success, dont begrudge it to them. As for Sean Prunty he's longer in Ballinalee than he ever was in Dublin so that makes him local in my book, do you have a Longford accent PM? Or even knowing you a D4 accent, I doubt it..Having gone to school with the chap Longford is home so don't knock him for his accent of all things
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian
    Right enough town73 it was an award to the club as I said above[SIZE=5]not[/SIZE] the team, these people have given up more than you will ever know to keep LTFC on the go and are duly enjoying some success, dont begrudge it to them. As for Sean Prunty he's longer in Ballinalee than he ever was in Dublin so that makes him local in my book, do you have a Longford accent PM? Or even knowing you a D4 accent, I doubt it..Having gone to school with the chap Longford is home so don't knock him for his accent of all things
    Yes, I do have somewhat of a D4 accent. That means that I moved away from Longford and lost some of my native accent. However, Sean Prunty has more of a hard Dublin accent. This is certainly not a desirable accent. Why hasn't he changed it for a Longford one?

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie! None

Firstly I think you should leave Mr Prunty alone, im sure he has done more for Longford Town than you have. Secondly i assume you must be embarrassed of where you come from if you have felt the need to change your accent...D4!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lego79
    Firstly I think you should leave Mr Prunty alone, im sure he has done more for Longford Town than you have. Secondly i assume you must be embarrassed of where you come from if you have felt the need to change your accent...D4!!!
    Embarrassed would be alightly overstating it. I think everyone changes their accent to suit their surroundings. At the cup final I even heard one regular LTFC fan singing with what seemed to be an Inchicore accent.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Prunty's did live in Dublin for a couple of years & then moved down to Longford about 15 years ago, so to me they are locals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast