Martin 6, 82 Friel s/o 86

EIRCOM LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION
    Kilkenny City 2-1 Limerick
    N Andrews 53 Aherne 88
    Raggett 78

FRIENDLY (Proceeds to Foyle Hospice)
    Derry City 2-0 Institute
    Murphy 26, 59

These are tonights results. Nice to see an LOI side get one over on an IL side, congrats to Derry. I hope it went off ok and raised a decent bit of money. The implications of the other matches are the relegation of Dublin City and Limerick have to be re-elected to the eL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Student,

Got a text from the Eircom League service. CHF are indeed gone down so Rovers are safe, thank ****.

Seery hasnt a leg to stand on if it does go to the courts.

Limerick will be re-elected even if Homer Simpson was in charge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    Student,

Limerick will be re-elected even if Homer Simpson was in charge
    Why should a team who could only muster 12 or 13 players for a game this season and on other occsions failed to even fill the bench be allowed to retain their place after performing so miserably?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I have to agree with you Student, I think its time for a change. There are some Senior League teams with more professional and "league worth" set-ups!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Like it or lump it, the League would never expel Limerick. They are there to make up the numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    Like it or lump it, the League would never expel Limerick. They are there to make up the numbers.
    I am not one to go abusing other clubs but Limerick are really offering nothing other than providing eL football to one of Ireland's major cities. An opportunity the locals are not even availing of. They may be former league winners but if we allow a club to be so poor and unprofessional how can we drive the league forward. Surely the real threat of dropping to the Munster Senior League would have made them gain more than 16 paltry points this season. People harp on about how Mullingar should be there instead of Dub City. I can't help feeling if Limerick were a Dublin side many people from Munster would be calling for their exit from the league.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i'm not aware of any legal action on Dublin City's part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if right was right limerick would be gone simple as that, but one of the reasons that they wont be is because if they dont get re election there will be no more Limerick FC as most if not all players would go back to their local junior sides, the clubs set up is farcical and beggars belief, the sooner the new regime is in the better but im not that optimistic cos i have seen so many false dawns in the past especially in the last 3 of 4 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    There is no queue of clubs waiting to join the league.

In fact the league is currently 2 clubs shy of the previous ideal number of 2 12 team divisions.

Hopefully we will have a new investor and be in much better shape next year.

If not then we may not get re-elected but I very much doubt if anyone is waiting to take our place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo
    i'm not aware of any legal action on Dublin City's part.
    Sorry Ringo. Didn't mean it literally. Just implying Seery may not let this be the end of it for Dub City this season.

As for the Lim lads. I've got nothing against you, and I have the utmost respect for those who turn out to support them, but the set up is beyond belief. If and when you're re-elected hopefully you'll get it sorted. I wouldn't like to see the club die a death but then I don't want to see it in this state for the sake of keeping a name alive. Do Mullingar not have league ambitions?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    There is no queue of clubs waiting to join the league.
    That's very true, so all this talk about how Limerick should not be re-elected is moot.
    I hope that the backer mentioned above materialises and Limerick becomes a thriving club again.
    Successful junior clubs do not want to take the risk of stepping up to the national league. The cost and travel involved do not make it attractive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    I am not one to go abusing other clubs but Limerick are really offering nothing other than providing eL football to one of Ireland's major cities. An opportunity the locals are not even availing of. They may be former league winners but if we allow a club to be so poor and unprofessional how can we drive the league forward. Surely the real threat of dropping to the Munster Senior League would have made them gain more than 16 paltry points this season. People harp on about how Mullingar should be there instead of Dub City. I can't help feeling if Limerick were a Dublin side many people from Munster would be calling for their exit from the league.
    "Offering nothing to the league" is a claim I've seen levied against your own club all the time too. UCD is only able to compete because of sports scholarships attracting young players (and more power to you) and having a ground provided. Unfortunately, Limerick has to pay its way (or try to pay its way). The club has been mismanaged for many years - nobody's fault but our own. We hope that the future is in better hands.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I think Mullingar tried to get in a few years back but Kildare got in instead.

Not sure if they're still interested but they do have a team in the U21 league.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    There are many clubs, outside Dublin with the facilities like Arklow, Mullingar Town, Mullingar Athletic, Tullamore, Edenderry and many more, mostly plying their trade in the neither regions of the Leinster Senior league and Midlands Intermediate League, but they would be unlikely to have the financial backing to pay players and the cost of travelling the country every second week.
    St James Gate are still alive and kicking and harbour ambitions to return to the EL. Other likely contenders are Belgrove, who now play in Whitehall, who are without doubt the richest club in Ireland, having sold their grounds in Clontarf for £8million punts. They have a team in the EL21 league and do both Mullingar clubs. Malahide and Tolka have excellent grounds but not sure if they have higher ambitions. Up in Ulster Letterkenny Rovers tried to enter a team in the EL u21 but found their way blocked by Finn Harps.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    "Offering nothing to the league" is a claim I've seen levied against your own club all the time too.
    Well that's the funny thing isn't it. We've never come close to putting in a season like this, yet with bigger crowds than most in the bottom half of Div 1, sending out a decent team, paying them on time we are accused of offering nothing to the league. But when you only bring a squad of 12 to a game it is embarrassing for the whole league. I sympathise with you as a fan to see these kind of things and as I say I hope for your sake you get a decent team and set up together because it looks like you'll be staying.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Up in Ulster Letterkenny Rovers tried to enter a team in the EL u21 but found their way blocked by Finn Harps.
    I think you'll find if you checked your facts, that Letterkenny Rovers were not blocked by anyone other than the eircom League. The League were committed to allowing one more Donegal side into the u-21 league and they felt that the Inishowen League were a better option to Letterkenny Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Thats the correct version of the story and Inishowen did indeed enter the U-21 league and had a fantastic first season with Finn Harps.Well done to Inishowen.

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954
    I think you'll find if you checked your facts, that Letterkenny Rovers were not blocked by anyone other than the eircom League. The League were committed to allowing one more Donegal side into the u-21 league and they felt that the Inishowen League were a better option to Letterkenny Rovers.
    Well I can only tell you what I was told be a well-respected person from Letterkenny Rovers. Seemingly Letterkenny provide Finn Harps with quite a few players and if they were admitted to the eL the supply of players to Finn Park would diminish.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    I couldn't agree more. Limerick have as much right as any to be there particularly in relation to their great history at the very least. From talking to some LFC fans, they believe that the club is in such a bad state now that there is no longer the will or desire to change. As for Mullingar, it would never last. Athlone 20mins away and more importantly(cos we're in the prem) LTFC only 25 mins away.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    most of the lims fan's on this forum are true blues and fan's of el football.limerick have had a bad time on/off the field,if it were our clubs in the same position would we like some of the comment's made above.
    fair play to the loyal limerick fan's that have supported them all season.
    let's hope they get the investment needed and re election.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast