Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

Next season

Now that the season is almost over who would you like to see kept on for next season? Anyone you think should go? Where are the areas you think need most strengthening?

Ones i think that are already signed back for next season are :

Curran
    Williams
    Galbraith

I think there is one or tow more but im not 100% anyone know of any?

We also should have Ali Abass and Prince Agyemang coming in subject to clearance.
    Last edited by bluewhitearmy; 01/10/2013 at 5:04 PM.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Would be nice to get an update on the two right to dream lads.

Need an attacking Midfielder that can chip in with goals, a natural goalscorer/poacher and two more centre backs next season, cover at left back and possibly a new keeper if Barry Ryan finishes up.

Possibles to leave - Bradley and Gamble to free up wages unless their wages can be reduced, Calla and Purcell to be replaced by some younger lads and a few more also that may go back to junior.

The other night we had 2 senior players on the bench and the rest were under 19's, this has been the case most of the season. If we are planning to push on next season we need to have at least 16 decent players that can be interchanged when needed and youth mixed in with that to make up the rest of the squad. Its for that reason I can't see a whole lot leaving but maybe a few regulars this season not being as regular next season. If they do release a few starters from this season then we could be potentially looking at bringing in around 10+ new players.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Outs for me will be those who haven't played much (for various reasons), Purcell, Judge, Foley. Those to free up wages (Gamble, Bradley) and those who could end up retiring (Ryan, O'Callaghan*)
    I'd have included Gaffney in one of the first 2 categories a few weeks ago, delighted he's shown a bit of form now.
    I'd say there'll be a couple of Irish players, and a few more non-Irish coming in with a big turn around in players this summer with a lot of younger lads released too.

*coaching role maybe? He did well this year until injury caught up with him.
    Last edited by kingpin4; 02/10/2013 at 12:31 AM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    A lot of ifs and buts, but we need one quality player at every line, defence, midfield and attack. If Barry Ryan goes for whatever reason, I'd want a replacement there rather than trust it to Cusack.

Who I'd be willing to let go: Gamble I suppose, not cutting it as much. Calla, Purcell, haven't added anything great. Bradley maybe. Galbraith if I'm being honest, but if he's committed than fair enough. Not sure I really think Axel is doing as good a job as he should be doing either, might be worth looking at other options.
    Keep if we can: Tracy, Gaffney, O'Leary, Oji, Ryan, Nzuzi.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Its been an enormously successful season so far. As much as possible I would like to see the first eleven back next year. They are predominantly good players and some continuity along with the coach will see an improvement again next year. A small number of quality additions to replace anyone at the end of their careers that might not return should be enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I think people are a bit harsh on Galbraith tbh i think he has been ok this season but the system and lack of people in the box a lot have made some of his work go un-noticed an awful lot of the time he does some good work gets in a good crossing position only to look up and see just Curran in the box and instead of hit and hope tries to hold it up a bit and loses it i dont think that kinda thing is all his fault. Id like to see him play in the current system where Tiofack is playing he played in a similar position against Bohs earlier in the season and tore them apart.

Has there been talk of Barry Ryan retiring or something? Think it would be madness considering the season he has just had definitely keeper of the year imo.

Agree 100% with what fieldsofmarkets says the more kept the better and add the touch of quality in key areas like Attacking Midfielder and Striker that has already been mentioned. Would be great to be able to start next season with the same back 4 we have at the minute works wonders for Pats defence the fact they have been the same 4 for so long.

I hope some good young players from this league are targeted the likes of Mick Leahy at UCD, Ledwith at Rovers and possibly a cheeky little move for Daryl Horgan and Danny Morrissey at Cork if they are not already tied down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Has there been talk of Barry Ryan retiring or something? Think it would be madness considering the season he has just had definitely keeper of the year Imo
    No been no talk of retiring. He was only supposed to be a goalkeeping coach/back up a few years ago though so think it may be a possibility he will retire. Would prefer to see him continue on though, especially with the way he has been playing.

Calla played his last game at home for us tonight so thats one gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Axel had what could only be viewed as a Goodbye tweet up today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Axel had what could only be viewed as a Goodbye tweet up today.
    Ya saw that alright. Would be a pity to see him go as he was a real fans favorite and while he may been a little all over the place at times on the pitch his commitment could never be doubted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Folan is signed up for next year. There was talk last night of a certain Sligo striker that we were linked with at the start of the season coming on board for next year.
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Ya saw that alright. Would be a pity to see him go as he was a real fans favorite and while he may been a little all over the place at times on the pitch his commitment could never be doubted.
    Yeah. He had some great games, like Bray away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Is that a nice way of saying he's headless...if so, I agree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    If you'd asked me at the start of the season what kind of progression I would have been satisfied with over the next few years, it would have been something like:

2013: 10th
    2014: 8th-6th, Decent Cup run.
    2015: 6th/5th, Better Cup Run.
    2016: Europe
    2017:???

Limerick have pretty much skipped that first part, which is great. For a team back in the top tier for the first time in so long, I really think that we have overachieved. Next season I fully expect us to be in the top half of the table at the business end of the season, and I think there is a great opportunity, if the right signings and re-signings are made, for Limerick to be challenging for Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    If you'd asked me at the start of the season what kind of progression I would have been satisfied with over the next few years, it would have been something like:

2013: 10th
    2014: 8th-6th, Decent Cup run.
    2015: 6th/5th, Better Cup Run.
    2016: Europe
    2017:???

Limerick have pretty much skipped that first part, which is great. For a team back in the top tier for the first time in so long, I really think that we have overachieved. Next season I fully expect us to be in the top half of the table at the business end of the season, and I think there is a great opportunity, if the right signings and re-signings are made, for Limerick to be challenging for Europe.
    We would need some very good signings imo. Nowhere near challenging for Europe this season and all teams ahead of us will more then likely strengthen. Most importantly we need a squad next season because tbh a lot of the young lads we had on the bench a lot of this season are nowhere near good enough. Not trying to be harsh and dont want to have a go after a good season but some just aren't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Joe Gamble is gone anyway.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Joe Gamble is gone anyway.
    That makes Joe Gamble, Brian O'Callaghan, Paddy Purcell, Jeffrey Judge and Axel Bossekota who are gone. I'd think Stephen Bradley would be next,
    I'm hoping Gaffney is there next year because when he hits form, there are goals in him.

I think for next season, we need to dramatically strengthen in most areas. Relying on young kids as the backbone of the squad isn't fair on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Joe was a good player for us imo. Think some people expected a bit too much from him when he came but more often then not he did the job he was there to do well. Always pushed people to do things right for the club too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Ya I agree Joe did a good job for us. Agreement on new contract couldn't be made so time for both to move on. I'd say with the money freed up Taylor should be able to find a capable replacement.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    a 7th place finish was the very least i would have expected this season and i certainly dont think we over achieved given the huge budget at the disposal of the manager,he has done a fine job however we could have finished higher.he had more money and a stronger group of players than most of the clubs in the premier bar maybe four.we can be barging into the top four if taylor and co. get things right,the chairman has been brilliant tbf so taylor has to push things on and repay the top man....oh and maybe taylor and co might spend more time pitchside next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    First priority is to sign two decent center halves. We have only one at present

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast