Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 General Discussion

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Didnt see that one coming. Kjaer was magnificent in defence, but my god the Dutch didnt have their shooting boots on. Hardly deserved the peno, probably would have missed it anyway.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Yeah, they didn't deserve to get the draw by virtue of a last minute penalty.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Germany flattering to deceive again. Lucky not to be a goal down.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Germany flattering to deceive again.
    They've been the best footballing team for the past two tournaments, what on earth are you on about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Got a nice nap during Germany Portugal. Thought it was boring as sh**.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Jeez Germany didnt look good at all - maybe this tournament can be won by any team?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    I thought the game was intriguing. I don't know why Portugal persisted with caution and not playing their natural attacking game.

Ozil was so knackered, he barely made it to the dugout when he was substituted.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I thought the game was intriguing. I don't know why Portugal persisted with caution and not playing their natural attacking game.

Ozil was so knackered, he barely made it to the dugout when he was substituted.
    I noticed that about Ozil alright. Scheinstegger(?) covers a lot of ground as well (according to the commentators stats). The germans do work hard when they are playing for their country (Angela will be happy)

Re; Portugal, When you have two players like Ronaldo and Nani then you have to be prepared to have a go. They will have to in the next game now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    What about Group D? I only saw last the 15 of FRA v ENG but I enjoyed UKR v SWE.

At HT in the second game the BBC pundits were smugly proclaiming that ENG had nothing to fear from those other two teams. England would have nothing to fear playing a pumped up Ukraine away in front of a mad crowd? I actually thought both teams played good stuff and there could have been more goals in it. England played well without the ball, but didn't look too good on it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    OK, so it seems to be theme in the last year or so that well set-up teams are able to nullify the more fluent passing teams, and are well capable of nicking results.

So, is this the end of the brief dominance of tika taka and what will be tweaked by the better passing teams to get back on top of the spiolers?

I just don't like the way Spain, Barcelona, France etc. play without a proper number 9, someone to attack the ball in the box and who can hold it up. OK, Bayern had one but he had a shocker against Chelsea.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Jeez Germany didnt look good at all - maybe this tournament can be won by any team?
    Yep, that's what I'm thinking now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    So much can be read into the first games. I suppose with the wait, they are built up to the nth degree. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out in the second series, possibly the moving series to use a golf term.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yep, that's what I'm thinking now.
    Just not England, Greece, Spain or Portugal.

I presuming you're going Polska today Stutts?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Germany have had a perfect qualification campaign and trounced the Netherlands back in november. They had a respectable performance but not dominant against Portugal and were left hanging on desperately at the end for the win. Hummel had an outstanding game at the back. Germany are now playing against good teams who stand back. Instead of Portugal going toe to toe with them, Germany have to break them down as well as protect from the threat of the counter attack and they try to do this playing good football as distinct from their old physical approach.
    I think their midfield has become more impressive than WC2010, even with Schweinsteiger carrying an injury. That midfield are equally good in both defensive role and offensive role.

The Dutch are now under the serious pressure and Germany will want to avoid a pressure games against the Danes.
    Last edited by geysir; 12/06/2012 at 10:10 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Just not England, Greece, Spain or Portugal.

I presuming you're going Polska today Stutts?
    But still Ireland?

I dunno, though the waitress who serves us breakfast yesterday has painted an indelibile positive image of the country in my brain. A couple of interesting if not hugely glamourous games tonight.

Polska Bialo Czerwony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    There are a bunch of articles from reputable papers and sites floating around today about how the International game is relatively awful, compared to club level, and is basically just really bad football being played by tired players just for the sake of fans rooting for one country or another..... thoughts?

I realize the press just focuses on certain things at times, and England only had one shot on net yesterday, etc... but is International football generally really awful and plodding as some in the press seem resigned to thinking? Maybe it is just taking this tournament a round to get going.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    No is my answer.

And anyway, what more do you need to make a tournament interesting than fancied teams like Holland losing, spain playing italy, Russia beting the Czechs 4-1, Poland and Greece playing a thriller. I really enjoyed SWE v UKR last night.

Context is everything in appreciating sport. If you don't get the context then go off and get your instant gratification elsewhere. (Irish footy fans seem to love the context of a major finals but aren't that pushed about the context of playing Armenia to get there).

I think the standard was quite high in some games so far, despite what highly paid pundits will tell you.

International football is different to club football in the satellite TV age. Club football is largely now about which clubs camn attract the richest benefactor but in international football your national system is what is really put to the test. This is far more interesting to me.

Spending unsustainably for ostentatious gain is what caused Ireland's economic crisis. The same might happen soon to some of football's more ostentatious clubs or to those that have to spend to keep up - not that too many care about that, unfortunately.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    OK, so it seems to be theme in the last year or so that well set-up teams are able to nullify the more fluent passing teams, and are well capable of nicking results.

So, is this the end of the brief dominance of tika taka and what will be tweaked by the better passing teams to get back on top of the spiolers?

I just don't like the way Spain, Barcelona, France etc. play without a proper number 9, someone to attack the ball in the box and who can hold it up. OK, Bayern had one but he had a shocker against Chelsea.
    Some attempt to address this question here in today's Guardian website. Jon Wilson is the guy who wrote Inverting the Pyramid I think. In the comments Barry Glendenning contrasts John Giles and Arrigo Sacchi's views on football, while Wilson responds that a Giles v Sacchi live debate would be a dream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Come on Greece today..
    The Beautiful Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Club football (LOI) for the head and international for the heart. I think the tournament is fine so far, some good games, thought last nights game was a cracker.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast