Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mns - 5/03/12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    I can only assume she was reading from a script as she was not at the game. **** poor commentary
    A complete joke.

There are a great crowd at the game and the amount of errors in the commentary are inexcusable.

It looks like matches from Monaghan are going to get budget treatment from RTE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    As a it's new season, I decided to give it another chance. Much better that there was much less focus on the national team - the only bit that was focussed on LoI players making the step up which was good. Still not enough highlights, and still not good enough cameras - the slowmo's look terrible. Thought the highlights were ok, including the live game. A bit more effort than clipping down the same coverage was good imo.

As ever, disappointing with so much talk that they couldn't spend a couple of minutes on the first - would it have killed them to move from "who's in danger of going down" to "who's going to be in the mix for promotion and the play off"? The Waterford result probably deserved more coverage as well, given the implications of that on the first.

btw I thought it was a definite free that shels scored from against Sligo. The sligwegians would want to get with the modern interpretations of the rules if they think getting the ball makes it an automatic fair challenge.
    Well I didn't think it was a free and either did Tony McDonnell and that's good enough for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Didnt know we signed a guy called Rob Walters either.
    And apparently Conor Murray and Anthony Griffiths play for Monaghan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Not great to be honest. Record it and watched it late last night. Ended up rewinding through most of the talking in the studio. God for a highlight show, they show very little highlights. They could cut back with the chat and do some feature every week on a different club or player. Stuff like that would make it a better watch than 4 lads having a chat about 30 second highlights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    And apparently Conor Murray and Anthony Griffiths play for Monaghan
    Anthony Griffiths does. Just we call him Tony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    If that is the smallest crowd at Gortakeegan all season then I'll be very happy!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMon View Post
    If that is the smallest crowd at Gortakeegan all season then I'll be very happy!
    Just have a Mon Dogs sale, crowd will be massive then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I'd say that was only done because the match had been on telly. It was hard to follow though.

It was even difficult to follow the live tv coverage...
    could RTE approach Sky for some of their unwanted cameras? or better still, some of their camera men, and reporters

And with reference to MNS, a great idea would be to put the camera over Cons shoulder when he asks any of the lads a question.. bad enough having to watch him on that Garda crime programme....
    Gold is for winners......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Poor enough show in my opinion. Better than nothing though!

I wish they would commentate on the games instead of reporting on them!! Annoys me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    The best part for me was when Tony McDonnell claimed Hawkins would get into any other team in the league. Good to see them adding a bit of humour to the show.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

12. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Really lacking any real imagination or new angles - or a even bit of deep reporting. It's a weekly show surely they could come up with a segment - bar that shrill Orange-county wanna-be drivelling on about clubs when no one is interested.

I agree, with the constant guff from the panellists - in truth, they seem to know little about any club, bar the usual either a club they were involved in or follow, ie Ritchie St Pats, Goggle Eyes UCD etc.

It seems as though Shams are doing well and that will suffice -- they really need to up the ante, particularly when you consider it is the same sad camera positions for each ground.

Why not consider a short section, now and then, re top Junior sides in each province etc? All in all it needs freshening up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I have the programme on series record and promised myself that I would only watch it again if I heard that anything juicy happened in any of the games over the weekend. I even tried watching it with the sound off but while it was better it still falls short of what we want to see. MORE OF THE FOOTBALL AND less talk....
    I would go to more live games if they weren't all played at the same time on the same night... apart from travelling as far as sligo on a Saturday night as a nuetral, just too far, sorry.
    Gold is for winners......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Watched it on the rte player last night, decent show...not enough talking about the games, but I suppose they don't have enough cameras to cover incidents in anything other than the main view.

The Shels Sligo game I'm sure had plenty of incident that could warrant more discussion than showing a 0-0 draw between Dundalk and Monaghan or indeed Rovers's win that was already on the telly..talk about the fouls, list the late goals Shels like to concede and was there any hint they'd do it again in other set-pieces they defended etc...
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Far too much nonsense talk as usuall, would it kill them to show replays of goals or certain refereeing decisions etc during the highlights for thet game! instead they talk rubbish then only sometimes show a replay of the goals, even if they showed replays while their talking rubbish so we dont have to look at them, also why do they show the Brandywell from that angle so the ground and crowd look rubbish, surely it's in RTE's interest to make the show and the league look a good product.

At least they didn't show the karaoke thing or 60 seconds.

Suppose it,s better than nothing but they could easily change 1 or 2 things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Better then MNS coverage

http://vimeo.com/37891953

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    As a few have said, its better than nothing, but there is huge room for improvement.

I have the usual, annual, complaints: not enough highlights; too much analysis; not enough FD coverage. But apart from these structural issues, there are problems with the style of presentation...

The low camera "Champions League Magazine" style presentation of the Drogs/Rovers game only works if the viewers have seen the full game, as you can't actually tell what's happening. Most watching MNS wouldn't fall into that category.

There's insufficient use of replay (do they not have this facility?), and what replays they do show are usually shown at full speed. So, for example, we didn't get a proper look at any of the sendings off. It probably wasn't needed for the Quigley one, but the other would have benefitted from it.

Some of the reporting and scripting is pi55 poor. And as for the bed music... jaysus, enough already. Preferably cut it out completely, or if you must have it, try and find something better than that duller-than-dishwater-generic-almost-indie-guitar-rawk. My preference would be for some dirty techno, but I guess that's an acquired taste, so I'd settle for some upbeat electronica, the go-to music for all highlights programmes around the world. They could do worse than listen to the bed music used in MasterChef, which is always top-notch.

The killing thing is that most of these problems are easily fixed. There are tried and tested highlight formats on many other channels. I don't see why RTE don't use one of these. They seem happy enough to ape other broadcasters in most other type of programmes, so why not the football?
    Last edited by gormacha; 07/03/2012 at 9:55 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    [QUOTE=
    The low camera "Champions League Magazine" style presentation of the Drogs/Rovers game only works if the viewers have seen the full game, as you can't actually tell what's happening. Most watching MNS wouldn't fall into that category.
    [/QUOTE]

Very much agree. (Someone else has mentioned this too). I was at the game and was very disappointed to see those gimmicky camera angles in the MNS highlights. Report from Drogheda was otherwise good, though.

I felt Liam Coyle on the panel was somewhat, eh, 'lacking in charisma'.

However, good to see the show back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    To be fair it is far and away the best LOI show ever (admittitedly the bar was pretty low) apart from the budget limitations there are also infrastructural limitations at most grounds (camera sites etc) the presenters and contributors are all personable and show a genuine interest in LOI.

allowing for the above there are a few changes that would improve the show in my opinon

- more match highlights. most viewers are already LOI fans and are looking for highlights rather than views. current format often spends more time talking about game than showing it.

- No gimmicks. singing contests, hotshot etc are best left to "Soccer saturday" if the producers need fillers a segment on a club (preferably first Division or Junior) would be of much more interest. Alternatively a short piece about foreign similar sized leagues might prove interesting.

- First Division Appreciate there may not be budget to cover 1st Division (I am a trusting kind of guy !) but if clubs cannot provide footage (have they been asked ????) then perhaps one 1st division club could be covered each show.

- National Team it is a football show and national team are our flag ship but any comment should be brief and at end of show (issues are addressed ad nauseum elsewhere on TV)

Above are just a couple of points I feel would enhance the show without breaking the bank at RTE (all those rugger and bogball games to cover)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Better then MNS coverage

http://vimeo.com/37891953
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    - First Division Appreciate there may not be budget to cover 1st Division (I am a trusting kind of guy !) but if clubs cannot provide footage (have they been asked ????) then perhaps one 1st division club could be covered each show.
    I offered the Shels footage numerous times over the last 3-4 year to no avail.
    ShelsTV.com | SSDG.ie | @shelstv | @shelsfc

john@shelstv.com

The mad scientist in me says "yes".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jafrazer View Post
    I offered the Shels footage numerous times over the last 3-4 year to no avail.
    Then there's an editorial decision not to cover FD other than a 30 second results listing, because it couldn't be a quality issue as the shelstv stuff is pro standard.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast