Thread: protest against stupid suspensions

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

protest against stupid suspensions

hi
    i put a message on the other forum but got no reaction to it. just thought i would test the water here. had an idea that if we all emailed mns and the fai about blinkhorn and ryan being suspended it might move the debate in to the public arena and put pressure on the fai to reverse their decission. could be at nothing but i think is worth a shot at least

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    If you don't want to be missing games don't be getting booked.
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    We all know that there's only one team who can get suspensions overturned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Ye you have to come up with a better defence than but its a cup final .
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    We'll have to try 'but we're the Model Club'.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    We have a player missing too. It sounds like the usual Sligo moanfest
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    My, my, we are a busy little beaver, aren't we? I thought you'd be over on the other thread defending the bottle-throwing skangers.
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    I have a better idea. Why don't we all email Richie Ryan and Matthew Blinkhorn and tell them if they stop arguing with refs, there's a pretty good chance they will get to play in a cup final.
    Email the FAI? C'mon, lets accept the rules and stop this s*ite sniping at Shams. If we're good enough we'll beat them. If not, we won't. Full stop.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Sounds noble.
    Nevertheless, if, as the reports say, one of the players is suspended for having picked up 4 yellows, and the other for 8, does it not suggest a bit of a problem with the system that their suspensions coincide? Not to mention that they're both one-match bans, and that one match happens to be the cup final.
    I'm with you on the utter futility of trying to get anything done about it, but it doesn't make it stink any less.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think most of you had a point (even the shamrock rovers fan) the FAI are not going to over turn or postpone a suspension and there is no point getting worked up about it. What i do feel hard done by is the fact that the suspensions were incurred in the league so why are the suspensions not for one league match? It will be all hands to the pump for the cup match iam sure we will get the right result but is very frustrating for a club to be hindered by an organisation who make up the rules as they go on. by the way it is not same old sligo moaning i wonder how much of an outcry there would be if garry twigg and chris turner recieved similar suspensions

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    We were here last year with O'Grady and to little avail.

Good point that if one player is on 4 cards and another gets 8 it seems odd that their suspension coincides?

Anyways, one door closes, another opens -- leaves the door open for O'Grady, obviously Doyle and maybe young McGoldrick to get a run out.

Nothing like a little controversy, keeps the players on their toes and fans' expectations/interests a little keener.

Feel sorry for both lads though because they have played great -- but such is life.

I do think that it's stupid to have League infractions put against Cup games -- because the further you go the more chance of being penalised in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    What's really stupid is that the bans couldn't have been served last Friday or next Friday. Why can't they have met last week or this week and handed out the ban for the next match rather then waiting for another few weeks? Surely they should have a weekly meeting

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Yeah, but if they were served last Friday, we wouldn't have beaten UCD and be on the verge of Europe. I expect the two lads to be on fire on Friday night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    Yeah, but if they were served last Friday, we wouldn't have beaten UCD and be on the verge of Europe. I expect the two lads to be on fire on Friday night.
    I presume the new GM is going to be chasing them around the field with a hose.

Presently the two primary activities of the management committee are fund-raising and fire-fighting

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    O Grady missed last year’s decider for the very same reason. Last year we were all gutted for the local hero and complained this shouldn’t happen etc.
    Here we are one year on and what have we learned – zilch!!!
    Now instead of having a full squad to contest this year’s decider we have doubled last year’s casualty list and find ourselves without two of our most inform players. Yet here we go again blaming the FAI and their grandmothers.
    As it has already being stated on this thread Shams too have been hit with a ban so let’s just get on with it. As Avvenalaf says, if we’re good enough we’ll beat them. As simple as!
    Just on the point of have we learned anything from last season. Surely someone at our club should hold their hand up and say I should have had my finger on the pulse here and have kept a watch on the yellow card count going into recent games. Both these lads were on 7 and 3 cards respectively and if this was made known on a timely fashion going into these games the players then would have no-one but themselves to blame for their Final absence. Sometimes it’s easier to blame the obvious when the finger should be pointed nearer to home.
    Now let’s just get on with it, it gives two other players an opportunity they otherwise wouldn’t have got so let’s hope they grab this opportunity with both hands. Behind every grey cloud there’s a silver lining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Behind every cloud there's an even bigger Danny Ventre cloud

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Think we're probably safe enough. Kelly played well enough on Friday night to keep Danny out of goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Even if someone was counting yellows with the standard of referreeing it seems to me almost impossible to be sure to avoid getting a yellow card...there is something wrong with a system which sees a yellow given in the first week in October resulting in a suspension in a match on 14 November...why not automatic suspensions in the match following the accumulation of 4 yellows.

fans have a right to feel annoyed that an unnecessarily complex system is depriving us and the soccer public in general of seeing two of our best players grace what should be the highlight of the domestic season.

Anyhow we will get on with it and none of this will diminish our support for the bit o'red

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Rovers fan, at 1.13am, you'd probably love anything within arms reach.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    The FAI have confirmed that Sligo Rovers duo Mathew Blinkhorn and Richie Ryan will both miss this season's FAI Cup final due to suspension.
    Sligo Rovers take on Shamrock Rovers in the 14 November showpiece final at the Aviva Stadium but will be considerably weakened by the absence of Blinkhorn and Ryan.

There has been much disquiet over the suspensions, as both players must serve the bans for an accumulation of yellow cards throughout the season.
    Blinkhorn picked up the yellow card that will force him to miss the final on 9 October but because of delays in the FAI's disciplinary process, was able to play two league games before the suspension kicked in.
    'It's a joke really,' said Blinkhorn. 'Everyone I have spoken to has said it's a joke. It's in the Aviva Stadium, it's the cup final there, a massive game and to not play there is an absolute sickener.
    'It should be that if you get four bookings, you miss the next game. If you get eight bookings, you miss the next two games. That's the way it works in other leagues. You don't get a booking on 9 October and wait until 14 November to dispense the punishment.'
    Shamrock Rovers midfielder Robert Bayly must also sit out the final after his red card against UCD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast