Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trap out now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post
    It still doesn't stop Trap's chief apologist Brady bringing it up as a defence, despite Trap having enough English Premier League players at his disposal to pick two teams.
    Ye cant see the point of Brady being on the panel any more. He lost his impartiality because he was involved in the set up. His refusal to say anything critical about Ireland and Arsenal is farcical at this stage.
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    *sigh* You ever read the story of the emperors new clothes?? He was a great manager, he was a great coach, nowadays he can't even be bothered to speak the language of the team he is in control of. He is an old man making a mint off us silly paddys while living on past glories.
    Is that you from the sunday world?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Ye cant see the point of Brady being on the panel any more. He lost his impartiality because he was involved in the set up. His refusal to say anything critical about Ireland and Arsenal is farcical at this stage.
    Def. and its funny how he always moaned about Big Jacks style of play yet involved himself with the current long ball set up of Traps

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    We were within a kick of qualifying for the World Cup in Paris, lest you forget. He got us into the playoffs and we just missed out.

Ireland has never, under any manager, won a qualifying group. Trap might be the first.

What has he done wrong? You think we should be beating everyone 3-0?
    We actually topped the qualifiers for Euro 88.

But some of the posts here are nonsense, we were a missed penalty away from our best away result since 87 against Scotland, we have a number of friendlies in advance of the next qualifier to freshen up the squad and going on the last campaign new players will be introduced and embedded in the squad during the campaign. The indo nailed their colours so firmly to the VEdnables camp prior to Trap's appointment that any chance they get they'll peddle the negative line.

I can remember Ireland and Charlton being slated after drawing 0-0 at home to Belgium and Scotland in the Euro 88 qualifiers. We also went 1 down to Luxembourg at home that campaign and the knives were out. Was all forgotten at the end of the campaign, same old same old.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Yes drumcondra, thats assuming we qualify. Its not just as simple as that.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Absolute disgrace. Do our country a favour and please resign now!!

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Get real FFS will ya. It was a friendly. Not a good performance but get real. Its important not to overstate friendlies, win, lose or draw. The big games are the qualifiers against Macedonia next year that will shape 2011 for us.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Is that you from the sunday world?
    I'm not a journalist. More a realist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    I'm not a journalist. More a realist.
    Neither are most of them......
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    what a shock, Ireland lose and weldoninhio makes an appearance on the forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Have just logged on after coming home from the match. As I predicted, this silly thread was at the top of the list. Trap experimented abit - not as much as we'd have liked - but seriously, sacking him for not playing Coleman or changing the system in a glorified training game?
    Positives - Doyle and Long partnership coming along nicely and this is vitally important given Keane's current woes. Fahey also looked decent and we saw that a CM midfield partnership with a more confident Whelan is viable option for a competitive game. It was also good to give Hunt a run out as I think it may help him confidence wise. And as for NcGeady, I think it would have been slightly unfair not to give hima runout seeing as he did make the long journey from Moscow and is beginning to gain confidence in an Irish shirt.

This game will soon be forgotten but I think it was a somewhat useful exercise for Trap and the team and gives him some food for thought over the next three months.
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 17/11/2010 at 11:29 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Have just logged on after coming home from the match. As I predicted, this silly thread was at the top of the list. Trap experimented abit - not as much as we'd have liked - but seriously, sacking him for not playing Coleman or changing the system in a glorified training game?
    Positives - Doyle and Long partnership coming along nicely and this is vitally important given Keane's current woes. Fahey also looked decent and we saw that a CM midfield partnership with a more confident Whelan is viable option for a competitive game. It was also good to give Hunt a run out as I think it may help him confidence wise. And as for NcGeady, I think it would have been slightly unfair not to give hima runout seeing as he did make the long journey from Moscow and is beginning to gain confidence in an Irish shirt.

This game will soon be forgotten but I think it was a somewhat useful exercise for Trap and the team and gives him some food for thought over the next three months.
    Only thing learned from 2nite was that Fahey may not be up to playing middle of the park on the international stage just yet and that Cunningham has a bit of maturing to undergo before you would trust him in a competitive game.

For some time now, I have had my suspicions that there are a few FAI spin doctors on this forum. How you can call this a "somewhat useful exercise" is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post

For some time now, I have had my suspicions that there are a few FAI spin doctors on this forum. How you can call this a "somewhat useful exercise" is beyond me.
    Nothing 'spin doctor'-ish about passionate fans of a football team taking some positives from one of the few games we actually play. When we beat Holland in 2004 in Amsterdam, or when we beat Denmark 4-0 in 2007, did we all rave about it and urge the FAI to extend Kerr or Staunton's contracts? Should Jack Charlton have considered his position after losing to the Czech Republic in 1994? Or McCarthy after losing to Nigeria before the 2002 WC?

No. Getting worked up about a friendly result is ridiculous. These friendlies are not played at near the intensity of a competitive international, anything can happen in them, and the results are pretty meaningless. The side that lost 3-0 to Australia last year was almost identical to that which started in Paris, bar Gibson and McGeady for Andrews and Lawrence. What we look for in these games is how newcomers and fringe players can link up with the established players, and more is achieved in training than on the pitch. Sometimes, the experimental partnerships will click. Other times, they won't.

We've just got a creditable win in Armenia and a draw away to our main second-place rivals. We're in a great position to take the best runners-up slot, and the squad is filling out nicely, with intense competition for places, and all of our good young players (Meyler, McCarthy, Wilson, Coleman, Cunningham, Duffy) being called into the senior squads at some stage. Compare that to the 'no future' scenario three years ago. If we were to sack Trapattoni, the rest of the footballing world would be laughing at us, and no high-profile manager in their right mind would touch the job with a ten-foot pole.

Russia lost 2-0 to Belgium last night. Will they be calling for Advocaat's head in Moscow tomorow?
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 18/11/2010 at 5:02 AM.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I'm certainly not worked about the result. Results of friendlies don't matter a ****e. What upsets me is that Trap once again wasted another golden chance to blood in a couple of players and make the most of the limited resources he has. He simply is not getting the full use of the players we have period

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Russia lost 2-0 to Belgium last night. Will they be calling for Advocaat's head in Moscow tomorow?
    Spain lost 4-0 to Portugal, will they be calling for del Bosque's head in Madrid
    Brazil lost 1-0 to Argentina, will they be calling for Menezes' head in Brasilia?
    Australia lost 3-0 to Egypt, will they be calling for Osieck's head in Canberra?
    England lost 2-1 to France, will they be calling for Capello's head in Lon...err, never mind
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Good Capital City knowledege there Tets :-)
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    My junior cert geography teacher, Mr McGrath, would be proud! He'd probably be a whole lot prouder if I did it for the leaving as well, but that's another story.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    It might be but it has limited reference to anything, other than they be capitals......

Take brazil for example their FA " is based in Barra da Tijuca neighborhood, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro state." And as far as im aware Australias is based in melbourne :P
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    But surely you are then suggesting that it would be the relevant FA's that would be calling for their own managers head?

I think Tets may have been inferring that it was the vibrant football supporters of the capital city for each country. I think you are only too aware of the Canberra Ultras - so don't be pedantic........
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I'm certainly not worked about the result. Results of friendlies don't matter a ****e. What upsets me is that Trap once again wasted another golden chance to blood in a couple of players and make the most of the limited resources he has. He simply is not getting the full use of the players we have period
    That's debatable. It's been said on here time and again that the problems in the team lie at left-back and central midfield. The rest of the team is fine. Trap tried a new left-back and a new central midfield partnership last night, so he is trying to address the problem areas - while maintaining continuity. This is what sensible managers do. Look at Germany - they didn't just 'rip it up and start again' before the World Cup - they brought their young lads in gradually over a number of years, and still kept the average age of the team quite high. They didn't just throw together a new team based on whoever was Bundesliga 'flavour of the month' before the WC.

It would have been nice to see Coleman come on in his 'Everton position', but would he really have done enough to take Lawrence or McGeady's place for the big games next year? As for Wilson, I've seen him play a few times, and he looks only adequate, a big lad who offers little more than Andrews or Whelan. I'd rather wait until February and see McCarthy and Meyler. Even at that, memories of Sean Thornton, Stephen Elliott, Stephen McPhail, Jason Gavin and Michael Reddy are too fresh for me to get too excited about our young Premiership players.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 18/11/2010 at 10:25 AM.

26. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast