Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The 1985-86 title challenge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The 1985-86 title challenge

‘The Tribesmen’ missed-out on a league title by just two points in 1985-86 when Shamrock Rovers pipped them to the championship.
    Anyone have any recollections of that season? Was a bit too young at the time to remember anything myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    We threw the title away in one week.Lost back to back home games against Rovers and Bohs and ended up losing out by 1 point.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    I remember watching the sunday sports show at the time which was on rte one after the main evening news, galway built a wodden stand just for th elast 3 or 4 games such was the demand. Think you won the lge cup that year, beat us in tolka ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Lost 3 games in a row, home to Bohs and Rovers and then away to I think it was Dundalk? which ended our challenge. We won our last 3 games but still finished 2 points behind Rovers, but yeah, had the 'consolation' of winning the League Cup, our first major trophy. Also remember the temporary stand along the side of the ground where the press box was, there was a great buzz pushing for the title but the loss to Rovers was the killer.
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    It was a great season.

Terryland had no seats, no floodlights and no car park. There was a 'shed' which held about 300 people (slightly squished). The dressing rooms were manky and visiting teams often complained that there was no hot water.

On the pitch, we had some class players. Dennis Bonner (twin brother of Packie) was captain. Chic Deacy was like a terrier. John 'Mags' Mannion (brother of manager Tony) ran the midfield. Ski was top scorer banging in around 20 goals. Richie Blackmore was in goals. Sligoman Martin McDonnell was often our man-of-the-match. Other players who shone were Kevin Cassidy, Mickey McLoughlin and a young Noel Mernagh.

If I recall correctly, we went 23 games unbeaten. Crowds often exceeded 3,000.

Best game of the season was when we beat Shels 6 -1 just before Christmas.

But we blew it with 3 defeats in a 10 day period to Rovers, Bohs and Dundalk.
    Last edited by Paddyfield; 22/01/2009 at 7:22 PM.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I must admit I didn't realise we got so close that season. That was the first season my father took me to Terryland. Were Home Farm in teh top division that year??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
    I must admit I didn't realise we got so close that season. That was the first season my father took me to Terryland. Were Home Farm in teh top division that year??
    Yes indeed.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Paddyfield.

Paddyfield showing his age.
    Actually last year i was telling a younger fan of our cup run in '91 so i cant really talk i suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    It was a great season.

Terryland had no seats, no floodlights and no car park. There was a 'shed' which held about 300 people (slightly squished). The dressing rooms were manky and visiting teams often complained that there was no hot water.

On the pitch, we had some class players. Dennis Bonner (twin brother of Packie) was captain. Chic Deacy was like a terrier. John 'Mags' Mannion (brother of manager Tony) ran the midfield. Ski was top scorer banging in around 20 goals. Richie Blackmore was in goals. Sligoman Martin McDonnell was often our man-of-the-match. Other players who shone were Kevin Cassidy, Mickey McLoughlin and a young Noel Mernagh.

If I recall correctly, we went 23 games unbeaten. Crowds often exceeded 3,000.

Best game of the season was when we beat Shels 6 -1 just before Christmas.

But we blew it with 3 defeats in a 10 day period to Rovers, Bohs and Dundalk.
    Yes - that was the first season I went to Terryland regularly aged 11-12, having been sporaodically before that (including away trips to St Mels as my Dad is an Athlone Town fan, although he is a season ticket holder in Terryland these days). I'd stand behind the goal we played into and switch ends at half time.

The players Paddyfield named are permanently etched in the memory. I'll never forget the day (it may not have been that season) that Mickey McLoughlin standing on the line caught the ball with both hands and conceded a penalty!

The 1991 FAI Cup run and the season in Glenina and were the other two great periods I remember, but for me the 1985-86 and 1991 Cup squads are the players that come closest to me for being 'legends'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Remember that, not sure it was Mickey, but United player thought he heard a whistle so picked up ball in own box and said 'what is it ref' and he replied 'a penalty for handball'!
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    one game that stands out in that season was the 2-2 draw in Milltown must have been close on 1,500 united supporters and the game was one of the best ive ever seen at any level.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"