Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Champions League format proposal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    FC Vaduz can't gain entry to UEFA competitions through the swiss leagues. Even if they won the Premier Swiss league they'd not be allowed entry. Cardiff and Wrexham also play in the english league under these conditions I think.
    Not true.

It is down to each FA to nominate to UEFA who their European reps are. The English FA would have no problem nominating Cardiff etc, were they to be in a position to qualify for Europe. The Welsh FA are the only ones who've said they wouldn't nominate one of those teams for a Euro slot, were they in a position to win one (e.g. by entering and winning the WFA Cup).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Not true.

It is down to each FA to nominate to UEFA who their European reps are. The English FA would have no problem nominating Cardiff etc, were they to be in a position to qualify for Europe. The Welsh FA are the only ones who've said they wouldn't nominate one of those teams for a Euro slot, were they in a position to win one (e.g. by entering and winning the WFA Cup).
    Actually that's not true, the English FA have said pretty explicitly in a couple of letters (and I've emailed the FA too and got the same response) that they would not nominate a Welsh club for Europe.

As for the new format for the CL, I absolutely loathe it. My main complaint is that UEFA have managed to create another barrier between the haves and the have-nots, we've now got a ridiculous pre-qualifying round that consists of the bottom six nations in Europe. (which could quite feasibly contain Wales and Northern Ireland in future, as we are the two nations immediately above the bottom six) Why in God's name we have to put FOUR qualifying rounds between the top ranked sides and the bottom ranked sides I don't know. Put simply, it's totally robbing the bottom countries of any chance to make any long-term progress in Europe and smacks of a conservative, rich-and-poor attitude.

Bástards.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Cymro, I can't believe you're knocking the first Round of 6!

There's a reason why they are down that low and drawing teams ranked in the 30's is going to end in one sided games. When the bottom six play they will at least have the chance to progress and meet a side further up. It's better to have the chance of 4 games and not go out every year after 2!

Also one win every few seasons will keep you well above this first qualifying round so it really shouldnt be a problem if you're half decent.

Avoiding one sided games has to be a must.

I really like the new format.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    My problem is that the 3 clubs that get knocked out in pre-qualifying get didly squat, even less than they get at present and no chance of an even moderately prestigious tie against a side from Norway, Austria, Denmark etc etc that will get a decent gate reciept and a bit of TV coverage.

Also, the clubs that do make it through are then going to be disadvantaged by injuries/suspensions/fatigue when they come to play in the first qualifying round.

More than anything though I just don't like the idea of clubs having such inequality. I think all clubs should start off in round one with no seeds and an open draw. It's bad enough as it is, UEFA have just gone and made it worse.

Even if Wales never drop into the bottom 6, I would still truly loathe it.

Additionally, I do think those clubs are capable of competing at the current level, ie QR1. Look at the bottom 6. Andorra and San Marino got coefficient points this time around, Luxembourg got a team through against Lillestrom. They can compete. There are very few one-sided ties in Europe, and the ones that are are usually freak results and not confined to specific nations on a consistent basis.
    Last edited by Cymro; 06/12/2007 at 3:21 PM.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think fans would have more interest in the games when your team has a decent chance of winning ?? It may be great to get teams from Denmark, Sweden etc but after 3 or 4 years of getting hammered then what attraction is there?

We've not had the Champions from some of these countries in the competition before so they can be at least happy enough to have a place. Qualifying rounds are the best way to keep the competition interesting. If anything I'd like there to be one more qualifying round as the more games the weaker nations get the better.

Losing 5/6/7 nothing and having a home leg to come is not exactly going to do these teams any good. Nobody will have any interest after a few seasons.

If you're good enough you'll get your chance to play the better sides further on.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    My point is that they are currently good enough-at least to give a decent account of themselves, and that by putting them into pre-qualifying, UEFA are denying three potentially competitive teams to participate in the CL qualifying proper. It is possible that you missed my edit, but if not, how would you respond to the points made, especially regarding Kaerjeng v Lillestrom?

Also, if you can find more than one or two 5/6/7-0 scorelines in any given European competition over one leg these days, I would be surprised. Generally, you get the odd freak result (I would regard Carmarthen v Brann this year, for example, as being one) but most teams are competitive (the three other Welsh sides lost out on the away goals rule only)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just looking at the new proposals and i see if the Irish Champions make it through to the third round (ie just win one tie) and then lose, they will be entered into the UEFA Cup 4th round so surely this makes it easier for our Champions to make it to the UEFA Cup group stages?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Cymro, You can't go taking one game as an indication of how these teams will do in the coming years. Going on the results of the national sides and from the very few times I've watched these sides, you're going to get many one sided games.

If you bring the six teams into the following round then you're going to have to up the amount of teams in that round to get the correct numbers going through. It's not a case of just bringing the six in, you have to work the numbers and I just think that if you're good enough you'll get through to play the bigger teams.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    My argument is not that they will win every game though. It's merely that they can be competitive enough to justify their position amongst the rest of the 21st-down ranked sides. Of course it's unlikely that Kaerjeng will beat Lillestrom every time, but they will usually play well enough to keep the score respectable. Your argument is that they are not good enough to compete full stop, which is just not true.

About the numbers-it worked fine this year, although we have since lost the Intertoto Cup. Not that that should really mean anything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123