Page 161 of 258 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    He hasnt taken a step backwards in my opinion - he's just stood still - done nothing of note. Will be an important season for him personally
    yup, i will concede that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Had a good game 2day on his return to the first team by all accounts:

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=558&fid=516&sty=2&act=1&mid=21158976 31

P
    erhaps a break was just what he needed. Let's hope he will continue to rediscover the form which once made him one of Britain's hottest properties

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    He started in the middle 2 of a 4 for once.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    And how did he play there.?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Yes it is reasonable. Thats how he was sold to the world as a 16 year old. Four years later, despite occasional flashes of ability, he still has it all to prove. Roy Keane was dominating games from midfield for Notts Forest at 20 years old. Fair point on the injury but all in all he has taken backwards steps this season when major progress was expected.
    Keane wasn't dominating games from midfield at 20, at that stage of his career he was playing a more pushed up role and was quite prolific in front of goal, he started dropping further back over the next couple of seasons before eventually moving to Man U but at 20 people were wondering if he'd be the next Tommy Gaynor.

Had he been dominating games even when he was pushing 22 you could argue that Forest wouldn't have been relegated in 93.

Agree that McCarthy seems to be standing still this season though and that Keane was playing more consistently at that age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I watched the first half of the game Saturday and thought he played ok, he got about the park put in a few tackles and never lost the ball. A small bit more agression in his game would not go astray, I would also like to see him get a little further forward than he did on Saturday he seemed to stay in the holding role the vast majority of the time.
    Carrick United:
    Munster Junior Cup Champions 04,10 & 15, Munster Senior Cup Champions 2011, FAI Juinor Cup Champions 2008
    12 x Waterford Premier League Champions

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I would also like to see him get a little further forward than he did on Saturday he seemed to stay in the holding role the vast majority of the time.

Maybe he thought Trap would be watching the video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'm probably being over-cynical, but I didn't think McCarthy had been suffering from any injury recently, and thought it ironic that having finally shown a committment to the team, that he gets dropped by Wigan. Also thought it highly significant that he returns to the team in the position that he probably needs to show pedigree in soon if he's to get a game for Ireland. Is that too coincidental?

Look at it another way....Wigan are probably in pole position for relegation; if they do, they are likely to shed players: Moses, McCarthy, Rodallega to name but a few. What better way to add a few €'s onto young James value, than by him playing centre midfield for Ireland in the European Championships, particularily when he is still very young and has so much experience already, and has been tracked by some of the continents biggest clubs already. But the only way he will get selected to start for Ireland is......by playing centre midfield.

Is that too off-the-wall?

As it happens he did the simple things right that I saw - showed for the ball, played simple passes, and harried a lot.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I don't believe that they are resigned to the drop. Has got his place on merit.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'm probably being over-cynical, but I didn't think McCarthy had been suffering from any injury recently, and thought it ironic that having finally shown a committment to the team, that he gets dropped by Wigan. Also thought it highly significant that he returns to the team in the position that he probably needs to show pedigree in soon if he's to get a game for Ireland. Is that too coincidental?

Look at it another way....Wigan are probably in pole position for relegation; if they do, they are likely to shed players: Moses, McCarthy, Rodallega to name but a few. What better way to add a few €'s onto young James value, than by him playing centre midfield for Ireland in the European Championships, particularily when he is still very young and has so much experience already, and has been tracked by some of the continents biggest clubs already. But the only way he will get selected to start for Ireland is......by playing centre midfield.

I think what you are saying is a complete load of rubbish!!

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

As it happens he did the simple things right that I saw - showed for the ball, played simple passes, and harried a lot.
    I'm not completely sold on that one Kingdom...but I'm damn sure Dave Whelan was in Dallas on 22nd November, 1963.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Kingdom's last sentence resonated with my way of thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    did you notice if he beat Paul Greenes number of successful attempts at harrying, Kingdom? (who was it again that said that?)

Great post by the way - completely off the wall - but brilliant conspiracy theorising!

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    More likely he's suffering a spell of low confidence and is more appreciative now that he has the opportunity to be a part of the national teams squad, even if it is the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Is Kingdom actually Oliver Stone? Stone says in Interviews his mother was Irish.
    What the hell was the deal with Wall Street 2 then? Transformers Kid can't act worth a lick.
    Must have spent too much time on here when you should have been doing better casting.
    Last edited by Crosby87; 24/11/2011 at 2:04 PM.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Is Kingdom actually Oliver Stone? Stone says in Interviews his mother was Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    What the hell was the deal with Wall Street 2 then? Transformers Kid can't act worth a lick.
    Must have spent too much time on here when you should have been doing better casting.
    Know when to stop.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Assist for the late Wigan winner today.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Assist for the late Wigan winner today.
    That's James McArthur, the Scottish international. Easy mistake to make though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    said on BBC it was James McCarthy!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    By all accounts Wigan bossed the midfield today, good to hear. The more he plays ina 4 man midfield the better, it'll wean people off this mad idea that he's a "behind the striker" type of player. Also, it should mean he'll get a spot on the plane to Polkraine.