Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's the summer transfers going for your club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

How's the summer transfers going for your club?

This is in the world football, not the eircom league section so could we please not have the usual 'MY team Blah Blah Rovers* have signed blah blah, you barstooler'. Instead this is directed at people who also support a non-Irish team.

Personally the summer transers have been shocking for Sheffield Wednesday to say the least. I really thought we could push on for the playoffs this year wuth some key signings. Instead it looks like we're going to be worse off squad wise than we finished last year. Richard Hunds I don't know much about to be fair, hopefully Francis Jeffers will finally start scoring again, but it's a gamble at £600,000 and I think Steve Watson is a good player to have in the squad, but considering we've lost decent squad players like Steve McLean and John Hills, are in the process of losing Chris Brunt today, and could lose Glenn Whelan and Frankie Simek by the end of August we could be in trouble, particulary with Brunt and Simek. Having missed out on Derek Riordan and Gregor Riask (sp?) I haven't seen any other names being linked with us so I don't know if there are any targets we are even close to signing

* That's not meant as a slight on Shamrock or Sligo Rovers

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Yokohama FC just signed former Brazilian international Paulo Marcos on loan, and, despite the 8-1 loss last weekend, he was still by FAR the best player on the pitch, until he got knackered after about 70 minutes.

I'm looking forward to seeing him agai this weekend against league leaders Gamba Osaka this weekend.

(It is "World" football after all...............)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    arsenals transfers have been a little strange. i thik da silva could be dangerous, and if he adapts could get alot of goals. i'm quite impressed with sagna, i think he's going to be a good buy, esp as it lets eboue play on the wing, a much better position for him imo.
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Yokohama FC just signed former Brazilian international Paulo Marcos on loan, and, despite the 8-1 loss last weekend, he was still by FAR the best player on the pitch, until he got knackered after about 70 minutes.
    Jesus Osarusan we could use that sort of blinkered outlook back home in Limerick right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I've been highly impressed with Malouda, Pizarro, Ben Haim and Sidwell already. So all's going well at Chelsea.

I haven't been able to see much of Marseille's season but 0-0 in both matches suggests that Gael Givet is doing his job. I don't know about Zenden. I did get to see something that really impressed me with Djibril Cissé though. The ball was crossed to him late on in the game against Starsbourg. He was offside but when the ball came to him he took the shot and put the ball in the back of the net. Good bit of target practice.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Uniteds going to class, tevez will be one of the players of the season, but people have to realise hes not a out and out scorer! nani looks handy, looking forward to seeing haregreaves get a few games under his belt, his energy could be reallly good for them.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    nt 2 gr8. cardiff seem 2 nly wnt oldies. trevor sinclair, robbie fowler and hasselbaink. dey aint goin to replace chopra

reder
    Lots spent at Liverpool, the biggest buy being Torres. Personally I wouldnt have spent the money on him. His goal scoring record isnt good enough to warrant that kind of fee.

Verdict is out on the rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Alan O'Brien doing well for Hibs, too early to say about other new signings as they haven't played much

and Smicer doing great for Slavia Praha (although missed the great win in Ajax through suspension)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My club (Lille) have lost almost all its key players (Bodmer & Keita for Lyon, Tavlaridis @ Saint Etienne, Odemwingie=>Cska Moscow, Shmitz to Birmingham, etc).
    Now our aim has always been to pick unknown players (sometimes from small leagues) with high potential and turn them, thanks to our great training system, to really good ones in a short term basis . And sometimes, it works very well (Kader Keita for example).
    So this year Emra Tahirovic (a swedish striker, twin of Ibrahimovic) Marko Maric (Strong Croatian Midfielder who has already scored this season) and Yanes( International Colombian Striker, very good skills) Joined us.

Added to that, Beria, a Clone of Evra but right winger, very promising.
    So far, after 4 games this season, we're in front of Lyon, Marseille and Paris =)

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Despite all the money spent by Man Utd I don't think the transfers have gone well. Hargreaves will be a great signing, worth the money, but I don't think the other signings will do much this season. Anderson won't get too much action, although I think he is good signing for the future. Likewise with Nani, except he will get more game time- I'd expect him to get the same treatment Ronaldo got my Fergie in his first season, and it seemed to do him no harm.

I don't think Tevez has been a good signing to be honest. I think he is a terrific player but he is too similar to Rooney- I can't see them forming a good partnership. We need someone like van Nistelrooy to play with either Tevez/Rooney- we were lucky that Ronaldo scored so much from midfield last season. Saha is too injury prone and Ole will not be able to play as much, but is still a great option to have on the bench. Selling both Smith and Rossi was a bad move- we could do with one of them now. Hopefully the Anelka rumour is more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Hopefully the Anelka rumour is more than that.
    I don't see how anyone could want Le Sulk at one of the top teams. Anyway, if the Heinze deal is anything to go by Fergie won't touch an ex-Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool player.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    I don't see how anyone could want Le Sulk at one of the top teams. Anyway, if the Heinze deal is anything to go by Fergie won't touch an ex-Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool player.
    I think he's a quality player and is the type of player that Man Utd need- one of the most under-rated players in the world imo. He does have a bit of an attitude problem but so have many players at Man Utd and they got on well. Also don't think the Heinze deal is anything to go by- Fergie just doesn't want to strengthen his rivals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    I think he's a quality player and is the type of player that Man Utd need- one of the most under-rated players in the world imo. He does have a bit of an attitude problem but so have many players at Man Utd and they got on well.
    I agree that he is a quality player but I just always thought he didn't seem to have the right attitude to make it at bigger clubs (Arsenal, Real, PSG the second time). And then I remember when he was at Man City and doing comparatively well, he complained that he wasn't at a bigger club. It seems that Fergie is a no-nonsense manager and that Anelka wouldn't have much time to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge
    Also don't think the Heinze deal is anything to go by- Fergie just doesn't want to strengthen his rivals.
    I don't understand the Heinze thing at all. My understanding was he wouldn't sell because it was Liverpool. If he's worrying about strengthening his rivals, I think that's a bit two-faced. He's not playing Heinze but he won't let him leave because he feels he's too good.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He's not playing Heinze but he won't let him leave because he feels he's too good.
    He's only not palying him because Heinze didn't report back to training...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    So why doesn't he get rid of him then?

That's what I can't grasp.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    So why doesn't he get rid of him then?

That's what I can't grasp.
    He's trying. I figure Fergie rates him, but Heinze's never really been the same player since that bad injury two years ago. He'd keep him in the squad only Heinze's not happy at not starting.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as predicted Torres has been flop of the season so far at my club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heinze has signed for Real Madrid for €12m (according to Marca, who frequently get this sort of thing wrong)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He's only not palying him because Heinze didn't report back to training...
    Heinze did report back to training. Fergies just rates Evra more than him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast