Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Boston watering holes

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boston watering holes

Does'nt seem much interest in this trip (not just on the players part!), but where's thehot spot for a few pre-game "primers" prior to the Bolivia game?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    it depends what you are looking for really. You could drink around davis square, the burren, joshua tree are good spots. But if you are looking in town then the embassy or purple shamrock ( totally cheesy but can be a good spot ). Remember you are good bit away from teh stadium in boston though. Some good spots in allston/brighton like kells or wherever. All depends really.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billybunter View Post
    Does'nt seem much interest in this trip (not just on the players part!), but where's thehot spot for a few pre-game "primers" prior to the Bolivia game?
    Firstly on a Saturday afternoon the stadium is about 45mins south of downtown Boston, and there is nothing like a pub near it.
    They will probably be selling beer in the stadium. If so be aware that you will need your passport as id and will not be able to buy more than 2 beers at a time.

In downtown Boston there are loads of Irish pubs, see post above.

The Blackthorn in South Boston (about 5 mins drive south of downtown) would be worth a look, the team will probably be here after the game, it is the pub where Keane uttered the immortal 'And you call that a first touch' line to McCarthy.

Further south is Quincy and there are a few good pubs here also, Sarsfileds, Paddy Barry's, The Holy Ground and Bad Abbots, which is a well known soccer haunt for the past 15 years or more.

In Quincy you are at least 15 mins closer to Foxboro than downtown Boston.

Another area between downtown Boston and Quincy is Dorchester which has a good few Irish pubs also.

There are loads of other Irish pubs north and west of the city but you are going further from the stadium in those places.

Where are you staying ?
    Last edited by p_o_r; 22/05/2007 at 1:11 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    booked in to the marriott in quincy - so will likely hit up bad abbotts at some stage...(i live and work in tampa so am flying up to manchester New hampshire on the friday, and will make my way down to boston for a few on the friday night. Wanted to try and meet up with the other Irish supporters for a few scoops. I called a few of the bars up there to see about match transport, but none of them were running buses to foxboro (which most of them offered back in 2000). i checked shenanigans, the banshee, called the blackthorn and bad abbotts - and they wont know until tomorrow......I'll check a few more.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    nother area between downtown Boston and Quincy is Dorchester which has a good few Irish pubs also.

Stay away!!!!!!!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Stay away!!!!!!!
    nahh you just have to know where you're going, like anywhere. banshee is only two minutes from the redline train in dorchester and not bad. but quincy should be the place for travellers alright, downtown is a bit far to the game.
    zombie/thread killer..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by billybunter View Post
    booked in to the marriott in quincy - so will likely hit up bad abbotts at some stage...(i live and work in tampa so am flying up to manchester New hampshire on the friday, and will make my way down to boston for a few on the friday night. Wanted to try and meet up with the other Irish supporters for a few scoops. I called a few of the bars up there to see about match transport, but none of them were running buses to foxboro (which most of them offered back in 2000). i checked shenanigans, the banshee, called the blackthorn and bad abbotts - and they wont know until tomorrow......I'll check a few more.....
    The numbers of Irish in Boston has probably gone down since 2000 plus the J1’s are not there yet so it is not surprising that the pubs may not be putting on buses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p_o_r View Post
    The numbers of Irish in Boston has probably gone down since 2000 plus the J1’s are not there yet so it is not surprising that the pubs may not be putting on buses.

Plus with the up coming "Eastern Europe Double" those of us who would love to have gone to the other side of the Pond, are saving our euros for something that ( may?? ) will have some relevance!