Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: "Mature Abortion Debate" closed prematurely?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts

"Mature Abortion Debate" closed prematurely?

Does anybody think the thread was closed too early? Pete may have erred with a comment, but the debate had moved past that (I thought) and there had been nothing nasty, I felt.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    of course it was ,The thread wasnt started as a "mature" debate but a debate about abortion in general ,so should incompass all "general"view points , but its my own fault i know by now this is no place for differing opinions from the admin , and all poor pete said is that "IT COULD be argued " he wasnt even putting it foward as an arguement .

I love the responce to throw a silly insult "mindless commentary I would expect from the religious right in the US" and to take there ball and go home because the comment was nt mature ?????

Shame really it was turning into probibly the first interesting debate on here in ages oh well back to talking about the things that really matter like celery
    Last edited by anto1208; 05/05/2007 at 9:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I closed it.

Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    The thread wasnt started as a "mature" debate but a debate about abortion in general ,so should incompass all "general"view points
    There is no way in hell any site in the world would allow anything other than amature discussion on such a serious topic, by posting the above you're saying that thats rubbish and all points of view, even the immature ones should be allowed. Read the rules of the current affairs topic.

Plenty of ways to say why your against abortion rather to say babies are being murdered. Anyone who uses the term "babies being murdered" is obviously immature and the debate turns into an argument and it sprirals out of control soon enough.

There are plenty of places to discuss it elsewhere. This a football forum first and foremost and anything that leads to mods having to watch threads 24/7 will be closed
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I closed it.

There is no way in hell any site in the world would allow anything other than amature discussion on such a serious topic, by posting the above you're saying that thats rubbish and all points of view, even the immature ones should be allowed. Read the rules of the current affairs topic.

Plenty of ways to say why your against abortion rather to say babies are being murdered. Anyone who uses the term "babies being murdered" is obviously immature and the debate turns into an argument and it sprirals out of control soon enough.

There are plenty of places to discuss it elsewhere. This a football forum first and foremost and anything that leads to mods having to watch threads 24/7 will be closed

Fair enough.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Some people would argue however that the term "babies being murdered" is a mature point of view on the matter and that the view that "babies were not being murdered" was immature. Afterall that is the crux of the arguement is it not, is it murder or is it not murder.
    I didn't see the thread but I bet the last post in the thread was one which agreed with the view of the moderator who closed it. I would presume that that was view that abortion is not murder, from the above. Am I right?
    I guess the thread has gone now anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I bet the last post in the thread was one which agreed with the view of the moderator who closed it. I would presume that that was view that abortion is not murder, from the above. Am I right?
    As it happens, the last thread was the one that closed it.

And its nothing to do with my opinion onit, if you're going to use hugely emotive words that will lead to trouble, its going to be closed. There were several anti abortion posts up there that didn't get it closed.

Am I allowed quote you or is it still your copyright?
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Am I allowed quote you or is it still your copyright?
    Please don't tell me someone actually tried to claim that.

I moderate other forums, and topics like abortion tend to be far more trouble than they're worth. I don't think there's the makings of a good debate in how that thread went before closing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Some people would argue however that the term "babies being murdered" is a mature point of view on the matter and that the view that "babies were not being murdered" was immature. Afterall that is the crux of the arguement is it not, is it murder or is it not murder.
    I didn't see the thread but I bet the last post in the thread was one which agreed with the view of the moderator who closed it. I would presume that that was view that abortion is not murder, from the above. Am I right?
    I guess the thread has gone now anyway.
    It was me that made the comment it was at the end of a post where I said that creating a society where pregnant woman where supported instead of isolated ( ie free child care medical cards etc to reduce the stress and pressure ) along with proper sex ed and free contraception . was a better idea than just legalising abortion for the sake of it .

I then said I wasn’t against it for religious reasons more im against murdering ……….. you get the picture . I didn’t think it was a immature response .

But the last post was a bit much it did deserve to close the thread if ever a post did !!!

But surely just deleting an offensive post or warning people about there comments would be quicker than closing the thread , quoting all the people’s offensive comments then having to reply again to all the people involved in a different thread like this one .

Just putting it out there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    You see thats a lot of work, and this is football forum after all, not a political one.

I took the decision to stop it before it got out of hand. Like I said, plenty of places to have that discussion if you have to have it. A football forum isn't one of them
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    So my 'theory' suggests Dodge is against abortion (as am I incidently, I mean is you don't want the baby have it adopted) is that correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    This thread is in the Support forum, if you're interested in people's positions on Humanities, this isn't the place to ask. If you feel the need to continue this bizarre discussion then keep it on topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    So my 'theory' suggests Dodge is against abortion, is that correct?
    Nope.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The exception proves the rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    This thread is in the Support forum, if you're interested in people's positions on Humanities, this isn't the place to ask. If you feel the need to continue this bizarre discussion then keep it on topic.

Well I was interested in the closing threads thing really, however it does become rather difficult and unnatural, and impractical to move an aspect of a thread/discussion into a different forum, or to discuss a matter and exclude anything that is related to from the discussion, however convienient that might be.
    I guess you may as well lock this one now!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Asked and answered, so since it was a complete waste of time and energy, I'll do that to avoid more of it.