Results 7,441 to 7,460 of 7554

Thread: Robbie Keane

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Taking a job in Israel is pretty solid evidence of it in my book.
    Do you feel the same about everyone that has ever taken a job in England?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    How can we complain about anyone taking a job in Israel when we dont complain about anyone working in England. England did as much to us as Israel have done to Palestine. The man took a job. I live and work in a country who dropped 2 nuclear bombs. Is there a time frame for how long we need to be moralistic about a country?

I dont like Israel, would prefer not to work there given a choice, I hate everything they are doing with Palestine... but its funny how we pick and choose countries who enough time has passed to be ok.
    Israel is still doing it on a daily basis. Murdering Palestinian children on an almost daily basis.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Israel is still doing it on a daily basis. Murdering Palestinian children on an almost daily basis.
    Lots of countries foreign and domestic policies are revolting to most Irish people
    The states: Iraq and Afghanistan? That was mass murderer. At home death penalty and everyone is allowed own a gun!

But that doesn't mean Irish people shouldn't live and work there?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    And as Ive said I hate what they are doing there, however if our own country and pretty much all countries in the world continue to have diplomatic and commercial relationships with Israel why should a man taking a job there be the one expected to take the stand? The same nonsense happened with LIV golf, the players were hammered for working for the Saudis while nations continue to do business with them.

Sports people are role models yes, but they also have jobs to do. If an opportunity arises that helps their career why should they be the ones that have to be the moral compass when governments dont.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Hmmm, Chris Andrews criticising Robbie Keane for working in a country whose government (people?) he characterises as "murdering *******s".

Any relation to the Chris Andrews who, when working for Fianna Fail in 2012, had this to say about Sinn Fein:

In this latest embarrassment [Andrew] engaged with other Twitter account users saying “… given what SF has done to innocent people it’s a bit much listening to you pontificate”.

He mocks one Twitter user for “believing everything Mahon report says but doesn’t belive (sic) that Gerry Adams was in the IRA!”.

Referring to the brutal 1972 murder of Belfast mother of 10 Jean McConville who was abducted from her Belfast home, shot in the back of the head, and her body buried in a Co Louth beach, he tweeted, “Was it not corrupt to bury mother of 10 Jean Mc Conville. Is that acceptable to you. Selective outrage I thinks.”

Other tweets referred to “workers on their way to bank raids” and “so Ira never done bank robberies”. In 2004, £26.5m was robbed from the Northern Bank in Belfast. Both the British and Irish governments blamed the IRA for carrying out one of the biggest bank raids in UK history. Sinn Féin has denied the IRA was responsible.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20242274.html

Still, at least Andrews never went to work for Sinn Fe.... oh, wait
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 29/06/2023 at 4:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Taking a job in Israel is pretty solid evidence of it in my book.
    I absolutely hate what Israel do (and especially Dudu Awat, who I'd like to remind everyone had his nose broken by a team-mate in La Liga for being a ********) but the club exist, the various federations allow them to compete and they offered him a job.

Whilst I probably think Israel should be treated like apartheid SA, they arent't so Robbie is ok to take this job.

Who knows, maybe he'll bring peace to the region. Optimism, chaps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    I absolutely hate what Israel do (and especially Dudu Awat, who I'd like to remind everyone had his nose broken by a team-mate in La Liga for being a ********) but the club exist, the various federations allow them to compete and they offered him a job.

Whilst I probably think Israel should be treated like apartheid SA, they arent't so Robbie is ok to take this job.

Who knows, maybe he'll bring peace to the region. Optimism, chaps.
    If Niall Quinn was Mother Theresa maybe Robbie can be Mandela!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    If Niall Quinn was Mother Theresa maybe Robbie can be Mandela!
    Er, I think you mean Niall Quinn MBE?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/nial...y-mbe-1.492591

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Er, I think you mean Niall Quinn MBE?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/nial...y-mbe-1.492591
    Deserved it for his work with the poor in Calcutta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Deserved it for his work with the poor in Calcutta
    Ha ha.

Anyhow, at the risk of the Mods moving this to "Current Affairs", "Rubbish" or even deleting it entirely (understandable, I admit), I've never read Quinn's autobiography, but I have read Christopher Hitchens' biographical pieces on Mother Theresa and I cannot recommend them highly enough:
    https://christopherhitchens.net/mother-teresa

Iconoclasm in the very best sense of the term!

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Bringing the conversation back to Robbie Keane and football, is there any Irish players that might follow him there? Could Troy Parrott for example go there on loan instead of the English lower leagues? TBH I've not ever really given any consideration the the strength of the league there but I always like the idea of our players going abroad rather than just England.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Ha ha.

Anyhow, at the risk of the Mods moving this to "Current Affairs", "Rubbish" or even deleting it entirely (understandable, I admit), I've never read Quinn's autobiography, but I have read Christopher Hitchens' biographical pieces on Mother Theresa and I cannot recommend them highly enough:
    https://christopherhitchens.net/mother-teresa

Iconoclasm in the very best sense of the term!
    It's funny u should say that
    One of the lads hates her and has always said she was doing way more harm than good
    Who knows I might owe him an apology

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I don’t like the political debate but feel obligated to weigh in with some balance. Prior to leaving Ireland and having close Israeli and Palestinian friends, I would have identified with a lot of the rhetoric.

Israeli-Palestine relations are extraordinarily complicated, the Irish media portrayal of the conflict is the most one sided view that I’ve observed. Forgotten is the recurrent persecution of the Jewish people, the “valid” claims on both sides, the fact that many Palestinians (nomadic by nature at that time) happily sold their land to settling Jews too in the late 19th early 20th century so there was a strong “legal” Jewish presence. And by far and away, the average Israeli Jewish person wants peace, are happy for a two state solution but unfortunately Palestine have no control over Hamas (whose main objective is to destroy Israel) leading to zero trust on the Israeli part. Yes, Israel have a lot of strong financial support, but without this Israel would have ceased to exist years ago. Should they not have a right to secure their country? Obviously they’ve completed over reacted at times, but is it okay for them just to permissibly stand by while Hamas attach and rely purely on their defense system?

The Irish history of English oppression naturally lend itself to the Irish people supporting the underdog but the level of biased reporting is remarkable in the Irish media. Suffice to say it is complicated, there are clear wrongs on BOTH side, and there is no easy end in sight exacerbated with current Israeli hardline government and uncontrolled Hamas.

I don’t think this forum is the appropriate place for a debate on the Middle East conflict, it would be nice to move on. I wish Robbie well, and have no qualms with him taking the Tel Aviv job from a profesional standpoint. The fact that so many Irish seem to have an issue is pretty sad in my book

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Britain was a massive contributor to the zionist plantation of Palestine for their own political and anti semitic reasons. A decent overview of he istael/Palestine issue is covered in 10 myths about Israel by llan Pappe a n Israeli academic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,317 Posts
    Let's keep the discussion to Robbie Keane's appointment as manager.
    If you want to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, please take it to current affairs
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Whilst I always appreciate England’s ongoing occupation of a significant chunk of Ireland, and their barbaric colonisation of our land being pointed out, the suggestion here that Robbie Keane taking a job in Israel is in any way comparable to Irish workers emigrating to England over the last few hundred years is idiotic. Irish emigrants working in England (our oppressor and coloniser but also our closest neighbour) is a complex and very interesting history.

The more accurate comparison would be with an Irish manager in the 80s taking a job in apartheid South Africa, or (and whisper it quietly as apparently it insults the zionists) an Irish manager taking a job in Nazi Germany in the late 1930’s.

Robbie Keane taking a job in Israel is wrong. Someone also mentioned Tel Aviv being a nice city - it will be lovely when it is rubble.

Edit to note: I said when it is rubble, it will never be of course as Israel will complete their genocide of the Palestinians in the decades ahead.
    Robbie could use his position to advocate for Palestinians and to help raise the issue which would be helpful as unfortunately Israel manages to shut down any real discussion of the issue with its very successful attempts to potrat critism of the zionist policy of ethic cleansing and plantation as anti semitism by cynically categorising judaeism and zionism as one and the same .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Robbie could use his position to advocate for Palestinians and to help raise the issue which would be helpful as unfortunately Israel manages to shut down any real discussion of the issue with its very successful attempts to potrat critism of the zionist policy of ethic cleansing and plantation as anti semitism by cynically categorising judaeism and zionism as one and the same .
    He could if he wishes to get the sack immediately. If he does that then he will be due credit of course.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    He could if he wishes to get the sack immediately. If he does that then he will be due credit of course.
    Great credit. Difficult to imagine his contract would preclude him from commenting on political issues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,317 Posts
    off topic posts following the request above moved to Current Affairs
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Bringing the conversation back to Robbie Keane and football, is there any Irish players that might follow him there? Could Troy Parrott for example go there on loan instead of the English lower leagues? TBH I've not ever really given any consideration the the strength of the league there but I always like the idea of our players going abroad rather than just England.
    Hopefully not given the large turnover of managers at that club. Robbie will be doing extremely well if he lasts the full season.