Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Spurs/Arsenal Champions League Spot?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    My preference is for the CL winner to come out of the game tonight, leaves open a higher possibility of more Irish players in the CL group stage next season with Celtic and Spurs
    What's the status with Celtic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadend
    Good aul Arsene, how quickly he forgets....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/4523051.stm
    Interesting spin. No need for me to comment on this, anyone can google the other 501 Wenger comments on his thinking on Champions League football. Maybe you'll post them up too

Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    What a ball of ****e game that was last night. Arsenal are gonna get trounced by Barca in the final. Useless altogether. Over the two legs, Villareal deserved it because Arsenal were terrible in El Madrigal.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    Interesting spin. No need for me to comment on this, anyone can google the other 501 Wenger comments on his thinking on Champions League football. Maybe you'll post them up too

Spin? Arsene's words, though he's always had double standards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    THe problem with being a manager is that you are asked to comment on so many things and the ability to search quotes from a manager will come back to haunt any manager. I think if all our quotes were taken on certain issues we would all be contradicting ourselves at some point or another. Sam Shepherd said the place to be is smack bang in the middle of a contradiction so in that case Wenger is where its at.

Poor game last night and Villareal deserved a goal on the run of play but their finishing was poor. Ironically enough they were rubbish for the last 20 mins I thought and the penalty came out of the blue. It wasnt a penalty either. I have to admit I cheered when it was given and shouted at the tv when it was saved. I am praying Barc get to the final and the final is a 5 goal thriller with Barca winning.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Why Arsenal came good in Europe
    By Paul Fletcher

So Arsenal will contest their first Champions League final at the Stade de France in Paris on 17 May.

It has been a triumphant and, for many, unexpected season of success in the competition for Arsene Wenger's team.

But has Arsenal's route to the final been more about the right breaks at the right time or Wenger's new Gunners coming good?

TEN CLEAN SHEETS
    There is no doubt that 10 consecutive clean sheets is a key reason why Arsenal have reached the final.

Arsenal's goal has not been breached since Markus Rosenberg scored for Ajax on 27 September.

It is a Champions League record and Jens Lehmann must take his share of the credit.

The German's late penalty save at Villarreal on Tuesday preserved Arsenal's slender 1-0 aggregate lead - and Lehmann has been superb behind an inexperienced defence throughout the competition.

Lehmann was superb against Villarreal

Last season he was dropped by Arsene Wenger, who claimed he was not sure whether Lehmann or Manuel Almunia was his first choice goalkeeper.

This campaign there has been no doubt as to Lehamnn's status - with his form also leading Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann to name him as his country's number one for the World Cup.

In the absence of Sol Campbell, Kolo Toure has also matured into the lynchpin at the centre of Arsenal's defence.

The Ivorian has been monumental in Europe, dominating forwards with his pace, strength and determination - and scoring the goal that beat Villarreal.

Mention must also be made of Brazilian midfielder Gilberto Silva.

He was superb in Villarreal on Tuesday and his defensive midfield displays have negated the loss of Partick Vieira - a considerable achievement.

THE YOUNG BREED
    If Gilberto's performances mean that Vieira has not been missed as a defensive midfielder, then the same could be said of Cesc Fabregas with regard to Arsenal's creative capabilities.

The 18-year-old Spaniard might have found himself bullied at times in the Premiership but he has illuminated Europe.

Eboue has brought energy and verve to the Arsenal team

With his touch, vision and passing he has been the conduit through which Arsenal's attacking game has flowed.

He has outshone some of Europe's most highly-regarded midfield players, none more so than Vieira, his former midfield mentor.

Then there is the defence.

Arsenal have reached the final after playing most of the competition without Ashley Cole and Lauren - their first-choice full-backs.

Mathieu Flamini, 22, has proved to be an extremely capable left-back while Emmanuel Eboue, also 22 and brought to the club from Beveren in January 2005, has been sensational.

His incredible bursts forward have epitomised the energy and enthusiasm of Arsenal's campaign.

Central defender Phillipe Senderos was heavily criticised earlier in the season after struggling to cope with the physicality of Chelsea's Didier Drogba.

But Wenger stuck with the 22-year-old Swiss international and his loyalty has been rewarded with a series of consistent displays in Europe.

Wenger would never have chosen to go through the latter stages of the competition without so many first-choice defenders.

But the quality of the younger players at the club speaks for itself and Wenger must take credit not only for their purchase but guiding them through through to the final.

THE RIGHT DRAW
    Arsenal defeated Real Madrid, Juventus and Villarreal in the knockout stages of the competition.

Real might be one of the giants of the game but they are a pale shadow of the team that defeated Manchester United in a thrilling Champions League quarter-final in 2003.

They have not picked up any silverware since they won the Spanish league that same year and looked liked an ageing team when compared against the verve and spirit of Wenger's young side.

Arsenal brought Real Madrid to their knees

Juventus went into their tie with the Gunners as runaway leaders of Serie A and have still only lost one match this season in the Italian league.

But Fabio Capello's team are, like Real, a team with several players on the wrong side of 30.

Over the last two months Juve have run out of steam, having lost two and drawn seven of their last nine fixtures.

Their seemingly insurmoutable lead at the top of Serie A is now just three points.

Villarreal, though impressive in the competition this year, are about as modest a side as one could hope to play in a Champions League semi-final.

The draw for the group stage was kind as well, pitting Arsenal against Ajax, Sparta Prague and FC Thun.

Wenger said on Tuesday evening that Arsenal have deservedly reached the final - and only the foolish would argue with him - but they could certainly have done a lot worse with the luck of the draw.

IT'S THEIR TURN
    Up until now Arsenal have been a disappointment in the Champions League, with a quarter-final finish in 2004 their best finish prior to this season.

Wenger has guided his side to the final

But a team as good as Arsenal, managed by such a capable coach as Wenger, are bound to come good eventually.

Many did not think it would be this year - and Arsenal's inexperience has certainly been a handicap in the Premiership.

Wenger's team have been found wanting physically at times in the league, particularly away from home, but the more refined conditions of the Champions League have allowed Arsenal to develop and prosper.

Combine with that the odd lucky break that every team needs to win a cup competition - Raul hitting the post at Highbury perhaps, or Riquelme failing from the penalty spot - and it might just be that Arsenal's name is on the cup.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    What's the status with Celtic?

My understanding is that Celtic will have to pre qualify if Arsenal win the Champions League. If Barca or Milan win it they will go automatically in to the Final. So any Irish support should support the winners of tonights game in the Final in Paris.

Mc Geady
    Reid
    Kelly
    Keane

could all be playing Champions League football next season if Arsenal do not win the final.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    My understanding is that Celtic will have to pre qualify if Arsenal win the Champions League. If Barca or Milan win it they will go automatically in to the Final. So any Irish support should support the winners of tonights game in the Final in Paris.
    Mc Geady
    Reid
    Kelly
    Keane
    could all be playing Champions League football next season if Arsenal do not win the final.
    Exactly Neil, put like that its simply our patriotic duty to support the winners of tonights game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Will Reid & Kelly still be at Spurs next year?

McGeady's glaring miss in Bratislava cost Celtic a place in this year's CL. Remember?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think it was losing 5-0 that cost them to be honest. Blaming it all on Mc Geady is harsh.

Not sure about Reid and Kelly but I think there is more chance of Irish involvment at Spurs rather than at Arsenal.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I think it was losing 5-0 that cost them to be honest. Blaming it all on Mc Geady is harsh.
    Of course it is, but don't you remember? It was a total SITTER. Even a 5-1 defeat would have been enough in hindsight and losing 2-1 or 3-1 or whatever would have been far more likely.

Would normally agree about supporting the Irish angle but I'm an Arsenal fan. Generally I like to see Robbie do well, even if it is against Arsenal though.

Somehow I doubt Geysir is being as patriotic as he sounds. If Arsenal were playing the devil's own select XI I suspect he'd support the latter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Mc Geady
    Reid
    Kelly
    Keane

You forgot the other Keane.(that's presuming he stays on for another season)
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I couldn't stop watching Ken Doherty at the snooker, gripping stuff
    Currently 10-9 up I think. I saw him in Ranelagh a few years ago in a silver BMW with the personalised reg "K 4 KEN". Classy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I didnt forget Roy Keane. He is not an Irish International so he would not have been relevant to my point.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Somehow I doubt Geysir is being as patriotic as he sounds. If Arsenal were playing the devil's own select XI I suspect he'd support the latter
    Firstly one Awsenal fan questions my objectivity then another questions my patriotism. There is a common denomenator there somewhere, I'll get back to you when I figure it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Exactly Neil, put like that its simply our patriotic duty to support the winners of tonights game.

And since when do I, as an Irishman, have to give my support to a team that,

a) comes from Scotland
    b) I don't support
    and, most importantly
    c) are sh!t

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Thats some twist of logic there Jebus
    Barcelona from Scotland? I thought they were Portugese.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    What a ball of ****e game that was last night. Arsenal are gonna get trounced by Barca in the final. Useless altogether. Over the two legs, Villareal deserved it because Arsenal were terrible in El Madrigal.

This is great stuff! Neutality at it's very best!

I hope it all goes to plan for ya Sligoman or it could be a very long summer!

Can't remember who it was but someone made a similar bold statement on Arsenal getting trounced in the FA Cup Final last year! They were right but the pot was still going to North London! more of the same, please!

50/50 game, Barcelona are a good team but way over hyped at times imo. It's there for the winning for both. Plenty for Arsenal to exploit on tonight's viewing of Barca in my opinion.

Great to see two footballing sides who play the game with an air of grace and a spirit of fair play go head to head!! hee hee!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    Great to see two footballing sides who play the game with an air of grace and a spirit of fair play go head to head!! hee hee!
    Yeah, Arsenal certianly played like that last night alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Spin? Arsene's words, though he's always had double standards.
    Maybe I'm missing your point here if that's what the one liner below is? Where is the double standard?

Good aul Arsene, how quickly he forgets....
    How quickly he forgets what? There's nothing in those quotes that he hasn't been saying for years now. Where has he said anything different? What has he forgotten?

"Normally they should not have played in this cup. They are lucky to be in it because of the advantage this country has in having four qualifying places. Most countries have only three."

Of course it should be noted that Arsenal are in this year's final becuase they finished 2nd last year but even Wenger will tell you (if you google hard enough) that 2nd place really shouldn't be in it either.

"The European Cup has been a complete cup competition - like Millwall reaching the FA Cup final - and maybe we will have Coventry in next year's final,"

There's no doubting the cup competition nature of the Champions League. At the moment Arsenal aren't even in the top 4 teams in their country. Arsenal are Coventry in that example above as where Liverpool last year. We are lucky to be in the final this year. The rules are crazy.

"In the championship you have to be consistent and that is a real reflection of your consistency in a season."

Never a truer word spoken. I've no doubt Arsene would be happy with a Champions League win but he'll be sincerely disappointed over the league form. You shouldn't have the chance to win the Champions League without winning your league, which as we witnessed year after year is a very different proposition than saying you have no chance of winning the champions league without winning the league.

Maybe you can elaborate on what exactly Wenger has supposed to have forgotten?
    Last edited by Karlos; 26/04/2006 at 11:27 PM.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast