Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    stick them in now PP and who knows maybe even Euro08 could be promising for us .

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Exactly
    and most teams will look to th efact we have been so poor in last 2 tournamanet qualifiers so there will be an element of surprise...and if we get teams that are at the world cup - play them early ....... teams who play in world cup are always slow starters...ie croatia in euro 2000 qulaifiers and us after last world cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy
    I think in the coming weeks we will see a concerted effort to get Kevin Nolan on board. Note how Staunton mentioned the grandparent rule, quite pointedly, yesterday.
    If we can get the likes of Nolan, Ireland and O'Brien in for the Sweden game, we will be more than a match for teams come the Euro 2008 qualifiers.
    If I was from a different country and we drew Ireland as the 4th seed I would not be happy.
    for a guy with over 1000 posts, I thought you might have read on this board that Nolan is not eligible to play for Ireland (nor does he want to)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    and the 11 a side Irish site, stated it again about Nolan the other day , let it die....

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=20740

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Back on topic, from http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sp...blic_call.html

Ireland set for Republic call

ON THE UP: Stephen Ireland
    CITY midfielder Stephen Ireland could be on the brink of making a senior international breakthrough as part of the new regime under Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton.

Ireland's progress at City has been remarkable, and although boss Stuart Pearce has been carefully nurturing the 19-year-old, it is difficult to hold back such rare talent.

Ireland has already made 18 appearances this season, including 11 starts, notably producing a stand-out performance in Saturday's 3-1 local derby victory over Manchester United in the Premiership.

Bolton's Joey O'Brien has also caught the eye of Staunton.

It is clear these are two of the players that represent the future of Ireland, with the prospect of a call-up for Staunton's first game in charge, the friendly against Sweden at Lansdowne Road on March 1.

"We want to blood new talent, get them through, and we have got some young talent coming through as we have seen with young Ireland and Joey O'Brien, and people like that," confirmed Staunton.

"Friendlies are there for a purpose. Yes, we want to win and we'd love to win, but we will be trying to bring in one or two newcomers.

Forward

"It might be a bit early for that and maybe we will just bring the squad in, who knows. But we're looking at getting a squad together that can move us forward.

"What happened in the last campaign is gone. We are now looking to the future. That's what I will say.

Under-21 manager Don Givens is happy to accept he may never have the pleasure of Ireland under his wing as there is every prospect he will bypass that level and go straight into the seniors.

There is still a chance of the teenager being called into the squad for next month's four-team Madeira Tournament that sees them play three matches in four days against the hosts, Finland and Portugal.

But Givens said: "He is a great talent, no two ways about it.

"Both he and Joey O'Brien are performing well at the moment, and playing regularly which is important.

"If they do get their chance then it will be great, and it will show the other boys coming through just what can be achieved."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy
    I think in the coming weeks we will see a concerted effort to get Kevin Nolan on board. Note how Staunton mentioned the grandparent rule, quite pointedly, yesterday.
    If we can get the likes of Nolan, Ireland and O'Brien in for the Sweden game, we will be more than a match for teams come the Euro 2008 qualifiers.
    If I was from a different country and we drew Ireland as the 4th seed I would not be happy.
    AFAIK Nolan isn't qualified. He's played U-21 for England and the rule allowinng players to change ran out in 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    from http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?syndicatorguid={7EB24EFC-E397-48B3-977A-BC40E4795300}&rmasiteinstanceguid={5B147D34-2BCF-448D-976C-AE1944ED09F5}&pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=296910

Stephen Ireland came through the biggest test of his short career so far last Saturday, and Stuart Pearce is backing him to carry on in the same vein in this weekend's clash with Bolton.

The introduction of the Irish teenager has been one of the successes of the season, and he came through the heated atmosphere of the Manchester derby with flying colours.

His manager is clearly delighted with the progress the midfielder has made, with the derby display probably his best for the senior side.

"He played with a great maturity, and personally I thought he handled it well. He was arguably our best player in everything that he did, and when you consider his age and lack of experience, I was very pleased for him. That will give him a big lift."

The trip to the Reebok Stadium will provide another stern test for Stephen, but Pearce thinks it's the less-experienced players like him that do not get overawed by such crucial occasions.

"I think he showed a real maturity in his game," says Pearce. "Whenever you play the big boys you could worry a bit, but with the young lads they can be the ones with nothing to lose."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    http://oneteaminireland.bravehost.com/

Manchester City youngster Stephen Ireland is named in the Ireland under-21 squad for next month’s Madeira Tournament. It is the first call-up the Cork midfielder has received at this level.

Ireland (19) has made dramatic progress at club level in recent months - so much so the club has tied him to a 2009 contract - and he is tipped to step up to senior level in the near future.

Indeed, both Ireland and his Bolton counterpart, Joey O’Brien, were singled out for particular attention by new manager Steve Staunton at his unveiling last week.

Today’s call-up from under-21 boss Don Givens is then a progressive step towards that ultimate objective.

Ireland has been out of the international picture since falling out with Brian Kerr a few years ago when the Dubliner was the Republic of Ireland’s underage manager.

"We had a problem a few years ago, which has never been solved," Ireland admitted.

"I would love to play for Ireland. It is one of my dreams. I am not sure if I am ready for the first team yet but maybe the under-21s. It would be great to get involved. I have not given up on Ireland, not at all."

But, Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce could still block Ireland’s involvement in the tournament as the FA Cup fifth round - should City get that far - is scheduled for February 19th.

The Republic of Ireland play hosts Madeira in their opening game on Valentines Day. They then play Finland on February 15th and Portugal two days later - just 48 hours before a potential City cup game.

Pearce will not want one of his best performers this season risked so close to a potentially crucial game.

Nevertheless, Ireland is joined in Givens’s 20-man squad by his Manchester City team-mate Willo Flood - who is currently on loan at Coventry City - and Celtic’s Aiden McGeady.

McGeady made weekend headlines by coming off the bench to score in the win over Motherwell but despite those heroics has resigned himself to more substitutes roles.

"I am sure it has got me a little closer to a starting place but I am probably still not starting," he said. "Unless someone gets injured, I really can't see the manager changing the midfield."

There are five eircom League players in the Madeira squad. UCD duo Darren Quigley and Gary Dicker are selected as are Drogheda’s Stephen Bradley, Stephen Ward from Bohemians and Cork City’s Roy O’Donovan.

Givens today welcomed the new players to the squad and hopes the experience will stand his players in good stead ahead of Friday’s Uefa under-21 European Championship draw in Montreux, Switzerland.

Ireland U21: Colin Doyle (Birmingham), Darren Quigley (UCD), Keith Keane (Luton), Gerard Nash (Ipswich), Paul McShane (Brighton), Marcos Painter (Birmingham), James Hand (Huddersfield), Shane McFaul (Notts County), Gary Dicker (UCD), Michael Collins (Huddersfield), Michael Timlin (Fulham), Willo Flood (Manchester City), Stephen Ireland (Manchester City), Stephen Foley (Bournemouth), Stephen Bradley (Drogheda United), Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Stephen Ward (Bohemians), Andy Keogh (S****horpe) Mark Yeates (Colchester), Roy O’Donovan (Cork City)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It looks like O'Brien will be getting a senior callup so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    LOL @ s****horpe
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ireland and Mc Geady should be in the Senior squad in my view.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hopefully they will be, either could fill the right-sided midfield spot which has been a real problem for us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I can't see either player (McGeady & Ireland) being let go by their club to play in an under-21 tournament, beside can't really see the benefit, they both play at a higher level week in week-out, Under-21's is a step backwards.. Givens is a clown, They both should be included for the Senior squad for March friendly, its not as if we have rich talent in midfield.. McGeady and Ireland could be key players in The European Qualifiers in 9 months times, we need to start integrating them NOW!! not ship them off to a ****in U-21 tournament... Sometimes I just wonder!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Ireland is only supposed to be playing in the first game IF he goes at all. I can see the point of bringing him into the U-21 game in order to get him reacquainted with the setup before throwing him in for a senior game.
    I'm really torn on this tournament, do we want the team to do well (like the last time out) and keep Givens in a job, or fail miserably to get rid of him, but destroy the team's confidence?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ireland was dropped to the bench for Man City last night for their 3-0 win over Newcastle. New city signing Alberto Riera was playing in his place, he scored too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i think joey o'brien played central midfield for Bolton last nite (Can anyone clarify this) he made one hell of a goal line clearance too..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites
    i think joey o'brien played central midfield for Bolton last nite (Can anyone clarify this) he made one hell of a goal line clearance too..
    I didn't see any of it but from reading the line ups in the papers, Hunt played right back & O'Brien played central mid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    His clearane off the line was superb.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123