Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who hates Bill O'Herlihy?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the only one who hates Bill O'Herlihy?

It bewilders me how this buffoon is still presenting football shows when he evidently knows nothing about the subject. Hundreds of times I've watched either The Premiership or Ireland matches and been annoyed by this idiot recycling (often word-for-word) the opinions he's read in the papers the day before. And when he uses ludicrous phrases like: "Eamonn, would you subscribe to Liam's thesis that...", I feel like throwing my cup/can at the box. The thing is, I have to watch RTE coverage as I don't have Sky and it pains me that they can't find anyone more ably-minded to be a presenter. An unusual rant, you might say, but I think it's high time for a change..........BILL OUT!!!
    Golf is not exciting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Couldn't agree more. Absolutely no knowledge of any sport, no personality and no presenting skills
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Bill is a journo and his angle is that he knows nada about futty.

I think the RTE panel is in decline like the national team. They have nothing new to say. They were great years ago when they had actually something to say about football in Ireland. Now they all sit back and read out all the same lines...

We need something new, a new panelist who has something to say and is passonate about the game. Giles is pushing on and needs a replacement... dunphy is past his best and can only talk about the game in general. Brady and his god like voice would wake the dead but has little substance and likes to sulk on tv.

Either they sort themselves out or get something new in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Brady and his god like voice would wake the dead but has little substance and likes to sulk on tv.

Either they sort themselves out or get something new in.
    In fcukin hate Brady. He is an arrogant cnut. When the panel were discussing the Morrison-Senderos incident in the first half, Brady said it wasn't a peno, Laughing Bill asked why , I was waiting for Brady to say,

cause Senderos plays for Arsenal.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree too about the panelists. We've been watching them say the same things for far too long. It's very predictable sometimes. I also have noticed (maybe because he's getting on a bit) that Giles regularly goes off the point and has to be interrupted by Bill. He never used to be like that.... Also the pundits keep saying things like "the worst performance I've seen from a so-called professional team in X years". And this is becoming an almost weekly statment. I think there's a bit of alzheimers kicking in there somewhere. "Chippy" Brady seems to radiate knowledge, by name-dropping to show his knowledge of the European game ("I played in Italy, you know").

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, they can be entertaining the odd time with the arguments and semi-witty quips, but the analysis is just not worth listening to anymore: you're better off going to the toilet at half time and reading the bog-roll wrapper.

Although, I would not like to see Quinny becoming a regular either. Who do ye think are good pundits? My personal favourite is John Toshack, purely for comic reasons.
    Golf is not exciting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The RTE panel does talk a lot of sh1té in relation to the manager. Any player worth his salt would love to play for a team where he can go out and express himself on the ball. Kerr does off that to players like Duff and Robbie (even though he is crap now) and players like Mac Geady would get that where in other teams they wouldnt.

I totally disagreed with their idea that players should be doing exact specific things on the pitch. Its up to the players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I don't have RTE over here but I listen to Ray Houghton now and again on Talksport and he talks a good game. Is he a regular on RTE?
    Thank god we don't have Ray D'Arcy anymore. Remember him presenting some of the less glamorous matches from either WC 94 or maybe 98 (can't remember) Anyway he was sh!te. He presented it like it was a round of Blackboard Jungle .... terrible stuff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    I don't have RTE over here but I listen to Ray Houghton now and again on Talksport and he talks a good game. Is he a regular on RTE?
    Ray was the co-commentatror last night IIRC. He's normally good.

Funnily enough, I don't mind Bill O'Herlihy. I find him quite 'affable'. I think he's supposed to offer a less than expert opinion, so that the actual 'experts' on the panel can speak the Gospel. However I don't like the panel too much: Brady sulks, Giles is boring, and Dunphy is an idiot.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank 99er
    It bewilders me how this buffoon is still presenting football shows when he evidently knows nothing about the subject. Hundreds of times I've watched either The Premiership or Ireland matches and been annoyed by this idiot recycling (often word-for-word) the opinions he's read in the papers the day before. And when he uses ludicrous phrases like: "Eamonn, would you subscribe to Liam's thesis that...", I feel like throwing my cup/can at the box. The thing is, I have to watch RTE coverage as I don't have Sky and it pains me that they can't find anyone more ably-minded to be a presenter. An unusual rant, you might say, but I think it's high time for a change..........BILL OUT!!!
    I subscribe to your thesis.

Ade

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    dont think Bill is supposed to know much - hes the presenter - the panel are the ones who are supposed to analyse!

Lynam was always said to be one of the best presenters - knew feck all!

we could always bring Packie in to do it after the clearout of management!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Well after about 20 years anything would become stale, the problem is we know exactly all of Giles' various positions on football at this stage, it's not like he can really say anything new. Still I prefer RTE's lack of 'glitz', as RTE is not exactly overflowing with talent the only candidate I would like to see in BillO's place would be Miriam O'Callaghan - I just love the way she is always teetering on the verge of an outburst of giggles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Think the panel are still decent enough but Bill hasnt a clue and maybe thats his charm- "you were making the point in the canteen before we came on air" etc...I'd rather have him than Niall "everyone is just thsuper" Quinn any day.

Frank Stapleton has come on in leaps und bounds in the last few years though, well able to speak his mind, and has progressed from the stuttering wreck he used to be. I wish Sky would get rid of Quinn though. Loved him as a footballer but never shuts his hole when on the TV.

Drunken lout.
    I

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Bill is a pro and sometimes feigns the dumb bit to get the info out of the panel, RTEs panel is better than any other on any other station.
    I mean you could have Packie "No personality" Bonner presenting it, oh God a fate worse than death.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Absolutely no knowledge of any sport
    Someone said it above - that's his angle. He plays the role, he asks the dumb question that the man/woman in the street would ask to elicit some expertise from his experts - especially for Ireland games when more people who don't normally follow football are watching.
    Watch him during the Olympic swimming...Gary O'Toole is excellent, Bill plays dumb and you think he knows nothing about swimming. But he does - his daughter is a former Irish Champion.
    He might know more about football than her lets on (then again maybe not).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    yeah lads being a bit harsh on bill there...
    all 4 of them play a part, i usually go to games but seen them on saturday v cyprus and they were good.
    bill throws the questions in and the others bite....works great.
    giles and dunphy are so repetitive its unreal, at least giles talks about football, dunphy talks about keane and ferguson.....brady...eh dunno he's ok....probaly bitter he never played in a world cup. wouldnt change them though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Stopped watchin murte with sound long ago, watched Setanta for the Cyprus game and Sky on Weds night (where Ohhhhhh Frankie Frankie was super I thought.)

Bill the Buffoon couldn't ask a pertinent question if you wrote it down for him. He stumbles and bumbles along like Bumbling Bertie in the mould that thicko Ireland loves. Doing nothing of substance and judging by this thread losing popularity just as fast as the "leader".

As for the Drunk and his controversial stuff for the sake of it, who watched Prime Time last night when he was in the company of two who wouldn't take his BS? Dolan had him eating chips out of his gigantic knickers. Hand also blew the drunk away. Those two would do me for a panel from now on if the gimps in murte ever get the balls.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    It may be O'Herlihy's angle and it may work for some minor sports (no offence to any bTW) but most people watching would have adecent idea about the game and don't need to hear O'Herlihy's patronising aquestions. I dosagree about the panel in general, I think GIles is by far the best analyst on any channel and Bredy is also miles above the norm.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How many times did Billo say:

"Will you take up the point about Michael Owen there John.."

during Owen's transfer saga?

Wound me right up"
    "You call that a first touch?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Jonny Giles for me needs to hang up his boots. His whole ideas about football look as dated as those black and white football clips that they show of him playing. Football has moved on and Giles looks like he hasnt.

RTE has to re invorigate the panel. The whole idea was great in the beginning when joe public didnt properly understand the game but now the vast majority do have a half decent knowledge of the game. The need at least 1 new panelist. Preferable someone who likes to speak his mind and doesnt see eye to eye with any of the other panelist.

Why dont they get someone from the Eircom League on. Like Dolan or anyone. Im not joking here lads before all the start. He does make good points and is passionate about the game unlike Giles. Plus he doesnt sullk as much as Brady and doesnt pull all the funny faces Dunphy does

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He plays the role, he asks the dumb question that the man/woman in the street would ask
    I see where you're coming from. I don't think he is a total moron, he probably is just playing the fool a lot. However, it's a very condescending approach to the man/woman in the street to be representing them with such ridiculous questions. I don't think it would be possible to confuse the average person with any aspect of football. It just never gets that complicated. I don't think he needs to take such a straw-chewing yokel style to his presenting. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but there's so many occasions where you just say to yourself, "Jesus, Bill, will you ever shut the f**k up".
    Golf is not exciting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast