Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it good for the League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it good for the League

SRFC..................................... Sligo Rovers.The real Rovers are are rising to the Top...! Is this a good thing or a bad thing for Irish Soccer with the relegation of Shams!
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    It's good that Shams have come down cos now the FD might not be as boring now cos it will have top teams like Shams, Harps in it. It's gonna be too close to call to say who'll win it next year. Obviously Harps and Shams will be favourites, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kilkenny or Cobh keep up with them too. Also, from a Rovers point of view, it means that we can feel a little better about our relegation prospects cos Dublin are up with us too.
    Last edited by sligoman; 25/11/2005 at 10:53 PM.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    welll i dont know about that sligoman , we didnt manage to beat them in 4 attempts this season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    It's good the Shams have come down cos now the FD might not be as boring now cos it will have top teams like Shams, Harps and (surprisingly)Kilkenny in it. It's gonna be too close to call to say who'll win it next year.
    Agree Sligoman....it will add some interest into the 1st divison next year.3 big clubs,Galway,Shams and Harps all in the ****hole and only 2 promotion places. Then ya have the likes of...Dundalk,Kilkenny and Limerick....it's gonna be a tough league.

If i were yee...i'd be dissapointed.Would yee not prefer to play shams than DC or do yee think it enhances yere chances of survival?
    Last edited by Conor H; 25/11/2005 at 11:01 PM.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    welll i dont know about that sligoman , we didnt manage to beat them in 4 attempts this season!
    I'm not saying we'll beat them. I mean we can still finish above them(like this season) cos they might lose to poor teams which we might beat.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H
    If i were yee...i'd be dissapointed.Would yee not prefer to play shams than DC or do yee think it enhances yere chances of survival.
    Yes, I would rather play Shams than DC but then at the same time I'd rather play Cork and Derry than Monaghan and Athlone .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba
    relegation of Shams!
    You obviously know nothing about football. The Premier league needs the likes of Shams. What do Franchise Home Farm Everton FC bring $hit crowds, no colour, no noise. If we were playing Shams next season in the Showgrounds we would get 4-5000 at the game compared to Dublin where we will only 2500 at most. Football needs big games not some franchise club.

On the plus side this guarantees Rovers survival in the Premier league
    Last edited by 1 9 2 8; 26/11/2005 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 9 2 8
    You obviously know nothing about football. The Premier league needs the likes of Shams. What do Franchise Home Farm Everton FC bring $hit crowds, no colour, no noise. If we were playing Shams next season in the Showgrounds we would get 4-5000 at the game compared to Dublin where we will only 2500 at most. Football needs big games not some franchise club.

On the plus side this guarantees Rovers survival in the Premier league
    You need to get down off your high horse mate .If you read my thread properly you see I asked the question was it good for Irish soccer with Shams been relegated.As for knowing nothing about football I have been following League of Ireland football for the last 30 yrs so I think I know a bit about it!As for Shams over DC totally agree commerically shams are a better prospect but with the turn in fortunes at each club things can change.

As we know ourselves playing premier football brings the supporters out of the woodwork.

How does this guarantee premier football? For those who know so much about football there is no guarantees in football.
    Till d End!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
    Ah here Conor you are having a laugh how can you say you are a bigger club than Dundalk or even Limerick ! Please be realistic Dundalk would be IMO the second biggest club next year in that division (they have a great tradition) Shams first, Harps third ! and then close between yourselves and Limerick (they had a bigger average crowd this season) !

Dont forget that Dundalk played a lot of their home matches away from this year ! and there average crowd would have been much greater !
    No IMo we are bigger than Dundalk and defo Limerick.We have greater potential...crowds,atmosphere,players etc.But i do see where ur cumin from.But then look at Athlone...great tradition but the worst club in Eire at present.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
    Ah here Conor you are having a laugh how can you say you are a bigger club than Dundalk or even Limerick ! Please be realistic Dundalk would be IMO the second biggest club next year in that division (they have a great tradition) Shams first, Harps third ! and then close between yourselves and Limerick (they had a bigger average crowd this season) !

Dont forget that Dundalk played a lot of their home matches away from this year ! and there average crowd would have been much greater !
    Have ta agree with ya Rogue trader, itd be shams 1st because there shams, dundalk 2nd because they are one of the greats of irish football, Harps 3rd because they have a loyal following that is large, regardless of their inability to win anything, Athlone 4th because they are a true football town with a proud tradition, one of the oldest clubs in Ireland, and then either the super blues or Krustys 5th.
    I dont know the potential Galway have is that great, there is not a large urban following for football in the city, you are more likely to see lads throwing a rugby ball or hitting a sliotar than you are to seeing them play footie. Not a dig just something i noticed around Galway, i mean i only ever see lads playin footie in the streets in sligo rather than Rugger or GAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Just one point ..

.. no-one in Galway city playes rugby, gaelic or hurling (max 100 adult players each in the city). There are 57 approx teams in the Galway and District League, when you include other leagues (nightowls, floodlight etc) there are well over 1000 adults playing organised competitive football on a weekly basis. There is huge participation in "soccer" as a hobby/interest, unfortunately the standard is not very high.

There is one senior GAA club, one senior hurling club, four rugby clubs (in total). Anyone who thinks that the working people of Galway love nothing more than a game of rugby in the evening to relax is living in a dream world.

BTW My "massiveness" rating of next years Division One clubs are :

1. Shamrock Rovers
    2. Dundalk
    3. GUFC
    4. Finn Harps
    5. Limerick
    6. Cobh
    7. Athlone
    8. Monaghan
    9. Kilkenny
    10. Kildare

Premier "massiveness" -

1. Cork
    2. Bohs
    3. Derry
    4. Shels
    5. Drogheda
    6. Sligo
    7. Longford
    8. Pats
    9. Waterford
    10 Bray
    11 UCD
    12 DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Rogue Trader theres 2 Gaelic Football teams in Sligo , St Marys and St Johns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Hurling ...

.. is thriving in the countryside. There is only one senior club in Galway City (Liam Mellowes), with three other junior clubs who would be equal to a hurling club in Sligo (St Columbas/Menlo/Salthill). At most in total five teams, around 100 adult players.

Gaelic - Salthill (a lot of players born outside the city), St Michaels (intermediate), St James and Fr Griffins. Six adult teams, I think. 120 adults.

Rugby - Galwegians, Corinthians, OLBC and NUIG. Six or seven teams. 120-140 adults.

These sports are not thriving !

Football clubs in the city (approx. no adult of teams in brackets)
    Salthill (3)
    Mervue (3)
    Corrib Rangers (2)
    Knocknacarra (2)
    Medtronic (1)
    NUIG (2)
    Hibs (1)
    Bohs (1)
    Renmore (1)
    East United (1)
    OLBC (1)
    West United (2)
    Nortel (1)
    I probably have left one or two out.
    Thats at least 21 adult teams. There are also several floodlit midweek leagues. I manage the GUST team in one league where there are 22 teams. There are two of these leagues based in Mervue, with more in Salthill.

I take your point that you saw hurling being played in the street in Galway for the first time - in fairness, you were hardly going to see it in Sligo !
    Last edited by Patrick Dunne; 26/11/2005 at 7:52 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lads i think sayin theres only 1 gaelic team round Sligo town is overlooking things a wee bit,like Gustavo said there is St johns with a catcment area of the pearse road which is def in round the town and aswell as that there is Calry/St Josephs with the st josephs area going as far as the mall and cartron so they could easily be viewed as a city team also.Soccer is massive in Sligo but i believe gaelic is equally as popular
    "If he dies he dies" Ivan Drago, Rocky4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    how many junior soccer teams are there in town ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Premier "massiveness" -

1. Cork
    2. Bohs
    3. Derry
    4. Shels
    5. Drogheda
    6. Sligo
    7. Longford
    8. Pats
    9. Waterford
    10 Bray
    11 UCD
    12 DCFC
    6 from 12 clubs are from Dublin area. Pity there isnt a few more clubs from outside the capital

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    **** sake lads. Can we get back to the topic. This is about is Shams relegated good for the league? not about hurling, GAA or rugby. Christ sake, if ya wanna talk GAA then go to the other sports forum, that's what it's there for! .
    Last edited by sligoman; 26/11/2005 at 11:16 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne
    I take your point that you saw hurling being played in the street in Galway for the first time - in fairness, you were hardly going to see it in Sligo !
    Is that not his whole point? That you would see a young fella kicking a football in Sligo.....
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agreed! Of course it's not bad for the League. Shamrock Rovers are out of the Premier and what of it. There was no great wailing when the real Rovers, Dundalk ( 9 Leagues 9 Fai Cups) or Harps or whoever were relegated.

Its just a fact of life. Manchester United were relegated from the old first division within 10 years of winning the European Cup! Tradition counts for nothing.

Look at Nottingham Forest-Twice European cup winners and struggling now.

And it's the same in this country. No club has divine right to be in the Premier.

In fact it will do them the world of good because maybe they might finally get round to focussing on what they need to do and that is to sort out their home ground.

In fact i'm amazed that a Sligo Rovers person would be even bothered putting it up as a topic.

Sure Shams have a great tradition and it'll be great if they get back,but Rovers,Dundalk and Harps also have a great tradition. It's just life. Get over it and get on with it !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne

These sports are not thriving !
    Im not trying to sh!t stur but it does seem that GAA and Rugby are more popular in Galway City as a whole compared to football.
    Look at your schools,
    The Jes is a rugby school, nobody will argue with that.
    Marys is a GAA, and its hardcore for that.
    The Bish is predominantly Rugby aswell.
    Endas is probably football.
    Moonageisha is just sh!t at football, terrible, the last time summerhill played them they broke a record, i tink it was 13-0, something like that.

Im sure there are areas of Galway City that have football in their hearts but lookin over Galway as a whole there seems to be alot more following for GAA and Rugby. When in Galway next look out for all the GAA and Rugby shirts in comparison to football shirts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast