Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    565 Posts
    First window:

1) away to Serbia
    2) home to Luxembourg
    3) home to Qatar

Tough to play away v Serbia to start. You’d probably look at the two games vs the Serbs as the two make or break ties of the group. You’d certainly like them later in the group’s development... Anyway, c’est la vie. Thems the cards we’ve been dealt. Try sneak a draw and go from there

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    Away to Serbia in our 1st game . Mick McCarthy must have a voodoo doll of Kenny

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...ord-cup-group/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Azerbaijan and Qatar away the same week is sensible. Could be an interesting away trip too!

Edit - Qatar game to be played "somewhere in Europe" per RTÉ. That's no fun
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/12/2020 at 6:18 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    France joined a Euro 2016 qualifying group for the same reason - to fill it up. I think it's a good idea in general. Worth noting too eloratings has Qatar one place above us (and a good bit stronger than Oman). Wouldn't want to tasked this too lightly
    If this comes to pass then the 2 games v qatar will be played inside the intl window, 3 games on the trot inside 7 days which is not a very attractive prospect, except to play the reserve team and possibly Jack Byrne might get 10 minutes if everybody else pulls out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    A bit of hard luck having to play the crucial away game in Serbia first. Its literally the teams next game. However pick up a point and Serbia then host Portugal 3 days later, tough turnaround for them. Having to play Serbia and Portugal in the space of 3 days is a fate we seem to have avoided, unlike the top 2. Serbia start with Ire H, Por H & Portugal Finish with Ire A, Srb H.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts
    Not a great schedule really. It will effectively be over for us after one game if we ship a bad defeat against Serbia. Kenny can't catch a break in the job it seems, although he hasn't helped himself at times either. His job may well be on the line by the time we get to the Luxembourg game, although you'd hope we'd find a way through that one at home to keep him in post until the autumn.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    the perfect draw
    Azerbaiyàn at home
    Luxemburg away
    Serbia at home
    Portugal away
    Luxemburg home
    Serbia away
    Portugal home
    Azerbaiyan away

the real draw

serbia away
    lux home
    port away
    azer home
    serbia home
    azer away
    port home
    lux away

we are doomed unless we get something from Belgrado

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Azerbaijan and Qatar away the same week is sensible. Could be an interesting away trip too!

Edit - Qatar game to be played "somewhere in Europe" per RTÉ. That's no fun
    Home game for them in Paris I would say.

The only thing to say about the Qatar games, well the two things to say about them are:

1. They're not Oman

2. The games are at the end of a window, so won't really affect the preparation or the campaign itself
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    In the first 7 day window Serbia have the tougher start, they play us at home first, followed by Portugal, then they fly out to Azerbaijan.

For us the September window looks taxing, but with the Azeris in the middle takes some of the sting away.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I'd rather have the tough Serbia game first in a bizarre way. An edgy 0-0 draw or any form of non-loss will be considered a good result. With our full side, that's not beyond Kenny in our next game. We're tough to break down if anything so I'd rather get that game done rather than be under pressure at home to Luxembourg or something.

All things going well these should be the last games behind closed doors in the campaign, so it's good that we have a big away tie and a small home one in this window.

It'll be tough no matter what, so lets try and take the positives from the schedule

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,356 Posts
    Behind closed doors is a great point to factor in. Serbia can be a tricky, hostile place to visit with the home crowd behind them. Blessing in disguise to get that out of the way in an empty stadium.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    happy with Serbia away first. they're going to be thinking 'we must not lose this' so will be cautious. we will see how we are set and it's not game over if we lose.

is it fair to say anything less than 10 points from the Azeri/lux games is a bit of a disaster?

if I am totally honest based on what I've seen under Kenny so far we'll be scrapping to finish third. I hope I am wrong.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I think if we have any aspirations of finishing 2nd, we'll need 12 from the Azerbaijan and Luxembourg games. I don't think we'll get a point off Portugal and will be doing well to come out of our Serbia games with a net positive points total.

It could ultimately come down to hoping Portugal take 6 from Serbia and that one of the two others take points from Serbia.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts
    I doubt it will be as positive as that even. I'd say we're far more likely to drop points against Azerbaijan or Luxembourg than we are to get more than a point from the four games against Serbia and Portugal. I think we'll end up on something like 11 points from the eight group games, which won't be anywhere near good enough to make the playoffs.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    We played Serbia in a 3/4s empty stadium last time and it didn't do us much good.

I'd say Serbia are well happy to start with us at home. If they can beat us while the new manager has no goals in six games, that'll be a great start towards challenging Portugal for top spot (in their view)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 09/12/2020 at 7:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    We played Serbia in a 3/4s empty stadium last time and it didn't do us much good.
    Did we not get a point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Yes, but with one of the most shambolic performances I've ever seen from an Ireland team that won't earn us a point if we play like that another 20 times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts

I'd say Serbia are well happy to start with us at home. If they can beat us while the new manager has no goals in six games, that'll be a great start towards challenging Portugal for top spot (in their view)
    serbia are no better than slovakia imo and so we have a chance of an away draw. That would be a great start to the group for us.
    portugal will go through the group without dropping a point. 4 points against serbia or even two draws, but getting ahead of them somehow on the head to head, is where its at for us.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Qatar also due to play in the Copa America between June and July, then the CONCACAF Gold Cup from July. Busy lot. I assume there is a vested interest (plus lots of "influence" being peddled) to get them in the best possible shape for the World Cup.

Edit: Wiki tells me they are down to play a minimum of 24 games next year, if you include the "Arab Cup" in December, and more if they get out of group stages. That must be at least near a record for the modern era.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 09/12/2020 at 8:17 AM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    serbia are no better than slovakia imo and so we have a chance of an away draw. That would be a great start to the group for us.
    portugal will go through the group without dropping a point. 4 points against serbia or even two draws, but getting ahead of them somehow on the head to head, is where its at for us.
    I suppose it is important to keep some perspective on Serbia alright. They did lose (on penalties) to Scotland to fail to make the Euros.

The Eloratings site has Serbia a decent bit better than Slovakia (125 points) though. Then there's a cluster of interesting teams in a row - Slovakia (1664), Scotland (1660), Ireland (1658) and Qatar (1640)

We certainly have a chance of an away draw, and it would be a great start to the group. My concern comes back to the lack of goals. It's like an anti-Charlton era - if we don't score, we won't win, and we'll drop points against Azerbaijan and/or Luxembourg which Serbia won't.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast