Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Something I'm glad Ireland were'nt involved in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Talking Something I'm glad Ireland were'nt involved in

Sheer joy as Australia wins top sheep-shearing contest

Australia out-clipped the world in a 17-nation sheep-shearing contest in championships held in the rural centre of Toowoomba in northeastern Australia on Sunday, local media reported.

Best shearers from champion nations Australia and New Zealand took on contestants from elsewhere including Germany, Norway, South Africa, Lesotho and the Falkland Islands in the Golden Shears competition.

Shannon Warness from the tiny South Australian town of Willalooka won his second Golden Shears trophy. David Fagan of New Zealand won the previous world title in 2003.

A total of 230 shearers raced for the championship, which was judged not only on speed but also on lack of nicks. Top shearers can de-flock more than 200 sheep a day.

Shearers from countries other than Australia found it tough to handle the heavy neck wrinkles of Australia's prize merino sheep.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050612/80/fky3o.html
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Yeah, me too: http://www.sheepshearing2005.com/

The Current All-Ireland Machine champion is Tom Kennedy from Turloughmore and this year he will compete for his 10 th title, having won the last 7 in a row.

Another Galway-man, Patrick Kerrigan from Cloughbrack will be defending the All-Ireland hand shearing title that he won last year in Donegal. This event is dominated by hand shearers from Kerry, and this year they will be very keen to regain their title.
    Last edited by Metrostars; 12/06/2005 at 1:55 PM.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.