Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: New Stand

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Lightbulb New Stand

I think Rovers should put a name on the new stand after some of our great players I was thinking the Johnny Armstrong stand. What ye think? It would be better then just "the stand"
    Last edited by Red Army; 01/03/2005 at 6:19 PM.
    Misfits

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree, it's about time something was done about the nameing of this wonderful piece of modern day Architecture. I suppose nothing can happen regarding this until the proposed Trustee meeting which is to take place on the 20th of this month. To think in 30 years this group of people (many now dead) have never met is nothing short of mindboggling. Anyway better late than never and hopefully a name will be decided by the trustees.
    'Don't dream - to dream is to be disappointed'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From talking to the Older Generation of Bit O'Red Supporters , they say that Johnny Armstrong was up there with the greats of SRFC.

Great Idea, hope its picked up

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From the way the game has gone since the days of Johnny and those like him, the chance of nameing the stand after a legend or a great servant of the club is very unlikely. The modern game is dictated by the amount of revenue that can be generated and something like a stand and the nameing of it will will depend mostly on how much the name can generate for the club. Look at places like Dalymount Park, Flancare Park and one sees the logic in using the grounds assits as a means of generating much needed revenue. If someone like MBNA were to come in and pour a couple of thousand euro into the club so as the stand can bare their name I think the powers that be will have no option but to accept the offer.
    I think the idea is a good one but money will always win out in the end and to be realistic about it, if it means we have a better team then we, the supporters, will be happier as well.
    'Don't dream - to dream is to be disappointed'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I agree with Petmuller, that if we get a major sponsorship from a business or corporation to come on board, we have no choice but to accept their money. But I would suggest a compromise. I’d name the new stand whatever, but how about naming the new all weather pitch, “The Johnny Armstrong Pitch”
    There would be no confusion with any other such ground in the area, I think it has a nice ring to it. It would be a fantastic tribute to a legend of Sligo Rovers Football Club.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    nice idea.but the money would be nice

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah a name for the stand.This has been touted previously between supporters and at AGM's.Seems everyone has their favourite, either player or dedicated supporters who sweated to get the stand ready. I agree it should be named but the modern game has shown us the naming of stand is a big earner.Naming it after one individual may be contentuous as other may feel agreived that it was not their choice.One simple compromise is call it the Sligo Rovers Supporetrs Stand after all it was mainly through the issue of shres purchased by supporters that teh stand got up and running.
    However my tupence worth is

Get a major sponsor: This could be through a 5 year deal or 10 etc..from a single sponsor.

Name the Stand: After a player or supporter

OR BOTH
    geta major company to sponsor the stand , their name would be placed accross the front of the stand and whatever perks the club offers.That covers the financial side
    BUT within the stand Name different sections of teh stand after past players/supporetrs. So instead of simply Section X Row Y Seat Z in the stand have its as e.g. Frazier Browne Section Row Y Seat Z, Johnny Armstrong Section Row Y Seat Z etc..

Do this on the Jinks avenue stand also and any new stands built after....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red til dead
    The Darren Jack Stand
    NO WAY! The Gareth Gorman Stand sounds way better
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Dixie Dean stand ..

.. this would be a small gesture to his family to compensate for robbing his FAI Cup medal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    how bout "the mary mcleyden stand"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Ultimate Supporter

Had an ale with two rovers supporters of over 100 years standing between them last night, and they were together on one fact: It should be the Frazer Browne Stand. A man who followed Rovers, home and away for over 50 years, went against his Protestant religion to follow the Bit O'Red (Sunday Sport was forbidden to follow for many years), and was a ultimate personality among supporters!

His "Spot" in the Showgrounds is also in the area occupied by the new stand.

Lets hope it can happen!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Question Mark Brindley!

What about The Mark Brindley Stand?

http://www.sligorovers.com/news/news...rkbrindley.htm

It would be a great way of showing our appreciation to one of the top supporters of this club?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.