Thread: Press Conference this week

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Press Conference this week

Well lads
    i hear there is a press conference called for sometime this week to annouce the plans for the upcoming season including the new manager etc.

any inside info on who it is or what players are signing eg pat purcell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh I do love pre-season anticipation...
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    How about when is this press conference for starters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hi Lads:

Awaiting confirmation tonight from DD but Rumour has it it's on at the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, Castletroy at 6.15pm Tomorrow Wed 5th Jan.

Will update as soon as I know for Definite

JohnD
    "How Can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team"-- B.Bragg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    it's on at the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, Castletroy at 6.15pm Tomorrow Wed 5th Jan.
    yea soccercentral say : "it's taking place at the Kilmurry Lodge Hotel, at 6:15 pm on Wednesday next, January 5th."
    Salthill/Knocknacarra Gaa Official Website- http://www.salthillknocknacarragaa.ie/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just to Confirm all the above Press Conference is on as stated and ALL Limerick FC Supporters are welcome to attend

JohnD
    "How Can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team"-- B.Bragg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    Just to Confirm all the above Press Conference is on as stated and ALL Limerick FC Supporters are welcome to attend

JohnD
    a twin room so is it!
    Last edited by Pablo; 05/01/2005 at 4:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Noel O'Connor is New manager

Cork City assistant manager Noel O'Connor will tonight be unveiled as the new manager of Eircom League first division side Limerick.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p227.htm
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

.................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Cork City assistant manager Noel O'Connor will tonight be unveiled as the new manager of Eircom League first division side Limerick.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p227.htm
    It ws on the Six One news tonight !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A bright future beckons!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    From 70 to 7000 attendance will take some doing.

Not meaning to be too cynical but ya gotta love the way eL clubs make these great announcements with virtually no hope of coming true...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete

Not meaning to be too cynical but ya gotta love the way eL clubs make these great announcements with virtually no hope of coming true...

Why no hope of coming true? Cork can get crowds of 7,000 and more for some games e.g. inter-toto. There is no reason Limerick couldn't get 7,000 for a European game in the next 5 - 10 years. If anything I think 7,000 is very conservative. Nobody is claiming Limericks attendances will go from 70 to 7000. The ground will have a 7000 capacity - but like Cork we probably won't be at full capacity for most matches.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

i still want 10! :)

I have to agree with LFC IN Exile, i think 7,000 is too small. As i mentioned in a previous post we have to think about under 21 internationals, Limerick is very central for teams in cups cork/galway/derry/harps/athlone/kilkenny/Cobh/waterford/dublin teams. Jut think a cup final between say...galway and cork, off to dublin to play the game. When Limerick won the league in 1980 crouds of 10/11,000 were at the markets field.
    From last nights meeting whats happening at hogan park now is the whole place is being cleaned up, bulldozed if ye like including the changing rooms. The pitch and floodlights are being upgraded and the old seats are being ripped out and 600 new ones being put in. The entrence is also being cleaned up and fenced. For car safety a park and ride (to a nearby car park) will opperate on match days and as johnd said buses from South Limerick, West Limerick and Ennis/Shannon will opperate also. A new main entrence will it is hoped be opened when the new road is put in off the cork ring road. At the end of next season and will consultations with all, the true start of developents can begin. Temp changing rooms/toilets/commmittee rooms/shop similar to Brays carlisle grounds will be there for this season. Come on lads back my idea the first of many, Stád Luimní anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353
    I have to agree with LFC IN Exile, i think 7,000 is too small. As i mentioned in a previous post we have to think about under 21 internationals, Limerick is very central for teams in cups cork/galway/derry/harps/athlone/kilkenny/Cobh/waterford/dublin teams. Jut think a cup final between say...galway and cork, off to dublin to play the game. When Limerick won the league in 1980 crouds of 10/11,000 were at the markets field.
    From last nights meeting whats happening at hogan park now is the whole place is being cleaned up, bulldozed if ye like including the changing rooms. The pitch and floodlights are being upgraded and the old seats are being ripped out and 600 new ones being put in. The entrence is also being cleaned up and fenced. For car safety a park and ride (to a nearby car park) will opperate on match days and as johnd said buses from South Limerick, West Limerick and Ennis/Shannon will opperate also. A new main entrence will it is hoped be opened when the new road is put in off the cork ring road. At the end of next season and will consultations with all, the true start of developents can begin. Temp changing rooms/toilets/commmittee rooms/shop similar to Brays carlisle grounds will be there for this season. Come on lads back my idea the first of many, Stád Luimní anyone?
    great to hear about all the changes which ye hope todo in the next three months and then the next 5 years or so. talking about Ireland U-21 matches, been hosted in Hogan Park, you dont need more than 5,000 seater stadium, Terryland wasn't even full for its U-21 match. The idea of ccfc and gufc in a cup final is lovely,but sure they will all be played at Lansdowne Rd., from now on. Park and ride is a brilliant idea and is needed at most el stadiums but not in place. And is there anyone in Limerick near Hogan Park (with a digi cam) that can run down to Hogan Park every so often and get some pics for us, to keep us uptodate??
    Salthill/Knocknacarra Gaa Official Website- http://www.salthillknocknacarragaa.ie/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

yes indeed

ill be heading up there myself on monday and will get some for ye! We, the SC need to get a prop website up and running also and get maps of the place up and how to get to it etc. I got no sleep last night i was so excited even though nothing we didnt know allready was announced at the PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete

cough..Longford Town FC cough cough

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb
    cough..Longford Town FC cough cough
    According to Michael O'Connor ( ex-Longford Manager) in a TV interview in 1996 their crowds were only 50 at that stage, and Stephen Kenny said in his first home game in charge the crowd was 50 too, back in 1997.
    This illustrates what can be achieved but your point is well made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    there is a huge latent support for football in the city. Longford are a perfect example and although they had decent tradition as a non league team i nthe cup for over 60 years they really came from nowhere and well done to them.

We had 8,000 crammed into Rathbane in February 89 (decent travelling support I'll accept) - temporary seats the works as had we beaten Derry we were joint top and could have won the elague. We lost and never saw close to that crowd again. We were getting 5,000 in the latter half of the elague winning season in 1980 many of whom standing in mud in pouring rain on the popularside. We also got 200-300 during the early 70's when we were struggling for a couple of years.

I just hope that it does come off. We've seen great plans for Rathbane before. I'd gladly wait for success on the field if faciltiies were being put in place to ensure a sustainable future and the ability to capitalise on success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think 7,000 is adequate - it is conservative - but conservative is good. There is scope around there to get much bigger if that ever happens but lets not lose the run of ourselves. 7,000 for an u-21 game is also adequate - in fact a nice tidy 7,000 seater (similar to the Cross ) would be perfect for all Ireland underage games. Maybe I'll be singing a different tune when I can't get a ticket - but you'll always look after me JohnD won't you?

Personally I think the days of large crowds such as was seen in the 1970s and 1980s are gone. An average attendance of 3-4,000 would be exceptional. We can't compare the current situation, with wall to wall TV football, to the situaiton in the 70s and 80s. Attendances for domestic games have fallen across the board so we should compare ourselves to Cork now, Waterford now, Galway now - not Limerick in 1970s and 80s. That's not to say if we did get into European competition that a crowd of 7,000 is not achievable - but on a regular basis I think the current committee's plans are laudable.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    great news for the club and the real die-hard supporters.ithink alot of credit should be given to the 100 or so supporters who stuck with the club last season.7000 seater ground in my mind is plenty because soccer unfortunatly will always be the third sport in ireland.good luck for the coming season hope that proposed friendly comes off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast